3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: what do I need to know about wooden arrows?  (Read 273 times)

Offline Magwa45

• Trad Bowhunter
what do I need to know about wooden arrows?
« on: March 09, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
I shoot a recurve and have experience only with aluminum and carbon arrows. Later this year I will get a longbow and intend to shoot heavier wooden arrows. The main question is, do I need to maintain arrows? Do they need to be straightened? I have seen some things about making arrows, but once you have a finished arrow, what do you need to do with them? Do they warp or get twisted? Please advise!
Don in MD

KIMSHA Archery "Mattawoman II" Longbow
Jet Archery "Jaguar" Longbow
Howard Hill Archery "Tembo" Longbow

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: what do I need to know about wooden arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
Good wood shafts generally hold their straightness once they are finished and are stored so they don't lean.  I just throw mine in a box and don't generally have an issue with that.  Lighter spined shafts can be bent went pulling them out of targets if bent in the hand.  Some longbows can tolerate over spined wood shafts and others not.  I would not go much over the weight of the bow in a Hill with a dacron string for example.

Offline aplehr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 01:11:00 AM »
i store my wooden arrows in a storage case with foam dividers - probably not necessary, but it doesn't hurt.  you should check your arrows occasionally for chips and scratches in the finish and patch these areas with super glue or a fast drying polyurethane. chips especially tend to spread if you don't fix them.  you might also find when you install points/broadheads on larger shafts(23/64) that there is a small ring of bare wood at the base of the point where it didn't totally cover the taper.  seal that up too.  bare wood and water - even cedar - don't mix.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »
I shoot nothing but wood arrows, primarily for the satisfaction of making and shooting them.
Cedar is the easiest to straighten and maintain.
In California we often don't put any finish on them at all....they are called 'summer arrows'.
A piece of advice.......don't start unless you really, really want to-it is highly addicting!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »
Good cedars will stay straight.  I usually keep mine in a back quiver, hanging on the wall.  Order good shafts from a reputable source.  If you buy weight and spine matched you will shoot with anyone and any arrow.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
I used to make them up and give them away cause I had shafts that weren't spined right for me. Like Bjorn says, it's addicting.

My two favorite attributes about cedar are; They smell good when you break them and they have a "feel" when shooting them that carbon or aluminum do not have. Kinda like they abbsorb the bows power....
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Ben Woodring

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:09:00 PM »
If they keep going up in price the way they have been for the last 5 years you should invest heavily!

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Oh Biggie, I like that, Absorbs the bows power.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
As always: a sticky subject.
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 10:53:00 AM »
To answer your question, "What do I need to know...," pick up a copy of Traditional Bowhunter's Handbook or Traditional Bowyers Bible III.  They will tell you what you need to know about wood arrows and a lot of other stuff traditional.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©