Author Topic: Form alignment ?  (Read 1915 times)

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
Form alignment ?
« on: February 12, 2018, 08:01:00 AM »
Morning Fellas finally getting a chance to do a little bow work been plowing snow for 8 days here, but I noticed this form is about 3/64 off the center line out of alignment, the alignment issue falls right in the riser section how critical is dead strait ? Im going to mill some stiffing strips to see if I can pull it back in before routing the form but how critical is that alignment ? Im thinking if I joint some 2x4s dead flat for each side full length and run bolts threw it should snug it up ?
If you fear failure, you will never try ! But never except it!!

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Form alignment ?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 08:04:00 AM »

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 08:44:00 AM »
3/64 is not a lot, but if ya aint happy start over.  Better safe than sorry.

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 09:38:00 AM »
I will have to see how the stiffiners work I guess what Im asking is how much if a tolerance if any is acceptible ? If it was a wood bow I wouldnt worry about it but never made a glass form before.

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 10:08:00 AM »
The straighter you start the better.  If the tips of the blank are off you have to allow for that when laying out the limbs. Easier to stay square/straight if you start straight.
I screw angle iron to both sides on the bottom of the form to help keep it from warping. Plus it gives the form a foot and helps keep it standing up.  Downfall is it adds weight.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:18:00 AM »
I was just looking at angle Iron at the big box store man it will add a lot of weight your right about that, but would rather deal with it then be off I think it should pull that little bit in ,I might do it mid form closer to the top leaving room for the templet  ! Thanks

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:30:00 AM »
You have to handle extra weight for a minute or two, but how many minutes dealing with a bow prob? LOL
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
Yep Im really hopping it sucks it in other wise starting over thats a bad spot to be off , I think it will be ok with the stiffners I can get it to flex a bit when I lay it flat and stand on it ,

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
Might have to use some shims with them.
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2018, 11:02:00 AM »
Thanks I will give it a go next one Im sticking to
Plywood the boards are at dimension and save time there but other issues eat the time , the solid lumber is harder to get strait with out milling !

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2018, 11:07:00 AM »
I clamp them to a big pc of angle iron and shim as needed to get straight lengthwise  and diagonally when glued and screwed before glue sets
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 11:26:00 AM »
If I'm reading this right, you're off by 3/64" in the riser section over the length of the form.  That's about .045"  Less than the thickness of a dime.

Obviously, the straighter the better, but I think you'll be fine with it the way it is.

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2018, 11:49:00 AM »
Yep thats right , but if I can get it dead strait with the stiffiners the better sense its my first glass bow just trying to put every thing in my favor

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2018, 12:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by Yellowwood:
Yep thats right , but if I can get it dead strait with the stiffiners the better sense its my first glass bow just trying to put every thing in my favor
Absolutely! The closer to perfect you have it, the better off you'll be.

I'm a gunsmith's kid.  To him, .045" may as well be greater than the distance to Mars!    ;)

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2018, 01:53:00 PM »
On the other hand, (hey, somebody has to be contrary here   :)    )  you are talking less than 1/8".  How wide do you want the finished bow to be at the fades?  Do you have 1/8" to spare in the blank when it comes off the form?

If you have the 1/8" to spare, you can get a straight blank out of the form as long as squirm is controlled.

If you twist the form while trying to get it dead straight then you will have introduced a bigger problem, IMO.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 02:20:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
On the other hand, (hey, somebody has to be contrary here    :)     )  you are talking less than 1/8".
Actually its less than 1/16".

I agree with Monterey.  I don't think you'll ever notice it.  
I don't have a drum sander or a big edge sander, so I could lose that much just cleaning glue boogers off the blank.  The 1/16" should correct itself when you profile the limbs as long as you work off a good centerline
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Offline Mark R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 02:28:00 PM »
Get it straight and keep it straight with a fastened strong straight edge, could be steel or doubled up 3/4" ply on bottom part of both forms. Heat from the box over time can compromise the form. The better the form the better the bow. JMHO.

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 02:31:00 PM »
Thanks Monterey thats why Im waiting to route the form dead square after I have it straitened if there is any change I could always recut it but at 3/64 and Im being generous at that I think its slightly less , Im hopping not to get twist but who knows at least at this point I know I wont have to start over I was just concerned because every book I read taked about the form having to be perfect but I appreciate all the help being a newb glass bowyer wantabee

Offline Forwardhandle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2018, 04:52:00 PM »
I just picked up some 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle iron and 3/8 bolts,washers & nuts Im clamping the angle together and drilling the holes so the bolts goes threw the form and will act like a clamp maybe a shim or 2  if that doesent work I would be suprised !  I will let you know when done over the week end.

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2018, 09:11:00 PM »
Go to the end of your street and pull up the stop sign. Use the pole as a stiff back. Cut the form in half and screw the form to the pole. It has holes every inch and alignment will be easy.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©