Author Topic: String and Serving material  (Read 1678 times)

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
String and Serving material
« on: February 22, 2018, 07:37:00 AM »
I would like to find out about string serving. In looking around there appears to be more serving string options than there are string material options. I have four spools of B-50 that I have been using up for years so I will finish them off before buying more but would like a better option when I do. I have decided that I really suck at Flemish, so I am going to go endless loop. The trouble is I know bupkiss about what to make them with or what to serve them with.

Should the loops serving be the same as the middle serving (I don't even know the correct term here)?

I understand that arrows/nock choices can influence the serving size, but what is a good all around option?
Skeater who?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: String and Serving material
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 07:50:00 AM »
Should the loops serving be the same as the middle serving (I don't even know the correct term here)?

Won't hurt a thing.

I understand that arrows/nock choices can influence the serving size, but what is a good all around option?

It really boils down to your nock size and how many strands are in your string. Serving comes in various diameters, buy a couple different sizes.
You will find out from trial and error.

But I would learn the proper way to make a flemish string if I were you. There are videos on you tube about it.

Offline C. Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 07:54:00 AM »
I use Brownell's #4 for serving.  There are probably "better" choices out there, but this stuff is cheap, been around for years, and it works well.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2018, 07:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Roy from Pa:

Won't hurt a thing.

It really boils down to your nock size and how many strands are in your string. Serving comes in various diameters, buy a couple different sizes.
You will find out from trial and error.

But I would learn the proper way to make a flemish string if I were you. There are videos on you tube about it.
I have the videos and have watched tons of them online, but something eludes me on this, not sure why. It's pretty simple in concept.
Skeater who?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2018, 08:00:00 AM »
What is wrong with your strings? Are they cabled? If so you need to do back twists after the first loop is formed.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 08:07:00 AM »
Yep, cabled and they never seem to be symmetrical. Meaning I will get tighter twists on one end than I do the other. Not the loop, but the string.
Skeater who?

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 08:41:00 AM »
After you form the first loop, hook that loop over a post and stretch the string out. You will notice it's twisted. Untwist each bundle separately till the strands are laying straight, then do 20 more twists in the same direction you did to get the strands to lay straight.

Then when you make the second loop, those twists you put in will untwist. After both loops are formed, the strands should be laying flat and straight.

Then hook one loop over a post again and begin to twist up the entire string. If you see that one end has less twists than the other end, then hold the string where those less twists are and just twist that section a little.

After it's twisted up, hook one loop on a post and pull the other end tight, then take a piece of cloth and rub it real hard and fast up and down the string till you feel it getting warm. That melts the wax and makes the string round.

Offline scrub-buster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 09:47:00 AM »
Roybert is right.  The counter twisting is the key to getting a smooth string.  

I use BCY's serving.  I think it's called Halo.  When I make skinny strings I double serve the center to get a good nock fit.  When double serving I use a thin serving first and then use a thicker serving for the second layer.  If you do the opposite the thinner serving will slip through the thicker layer underneath.
AKA Osage Outlaw

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:58:00 AM »
i have tried the double serving, butnever seem happy with it, many others make it work really well.
I simply just pad or bulk up the area with some scraps of string material- using different lengths- creating a tapered effect.

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2018, 10:24:00 AM »
I have tried counter twisting but still failed. So I took a string I already had made and removed the twisting (leaving the loops), I separated the bundles and I could see where each bundle had twists. I took the twists out by holding the bundles apart counter twisting, letting the loop go between the bundles. That seems to let the string make one nice round bundle now.

I probably will still make and try endless loop just for simplicity. Remember, I's just a simple Show Me boy.

I have Brownell's #4 serving so I will just keep on using that for now.
Skeater who?

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
My string material is B50 and B55 (I don't mix them) and use #4 with no problems.  I've also used halo and it is tough stuff but the #4 is tough enough.  If your loop servings are wearing quickly, look for abrasive string nocks.  Center servings are easy to replace if needed.  I often do center serving in monofilament.  

Most of my strings are endless however, Once you are proficient at making Flemish this you need only a spool of string and a pocket knife to make a string anywhere. Be nice to have a serving tool but not essential.
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2018, 10:53:00 AM »
I have tried counter twisting but still failed.

Then ya didn't do it right or ya didn't do enough counter twists.

Pay Attention Boy.. Frog Horn and Leg Horn.. LOL

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
I can't afford to pay attention.

It came out better this time but I am still not completely happy with it. Of course two things I will do different in the future. I won't get red again and I won't use black leather to rub in the wax.

Skeater who?

Offline BMorv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2018, 11:54:00 AM »
Looks good skeater.  I had to make 4 practice ones before I got it where I wanted it.  Now it's a pretty simple process.
Life is too short to use marginal bow wood

Offline monterey

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 01:13:00 PM »
Looks a little girley ta me.   :)
Monterey

"I didn't say all that stuff". - Confucius........and Yogi Berra

Offline skeaterbait

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2018, 01:22:00 PM »
Originally posted by monterey:
Looks a little girley ta me.    :)  
GIRLEY?????? I tell you... if I didn't have these flowers to arrange I'd run over there and.....
Skeater who?

Offline Bvas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2018, 03:04:00 PM »
One of these days I'm gonna make a Flemish jig and give it a whirl.  Just like the looks better.  For now, Im content with making endless.

For serving.- I just use the cheap nylon for end servings.  My center serving I use braided fishing line.  Most are spectra or dyneema or similar material.  You can get different diameter based off what the # rating is.  If you watch the clearance racks you can get it pretty reasonable.  Only bad thing is having to load it on your own spool for the serving tool.
Some hunt to survive; some survive to hunt

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2018, 03:12:00 PM »
Girly, red, black leather and rubben in wax?

Too much info fo me..

LMFAO

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2018, 03:14:00 PM »
But it doesn't look bad at all, coming from Kearney Mo... Actually seems to fit.   :)

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 07:15:00 AM »
Skeeter...................

Just before I wax the string, I use a pair of nail clippers to dress up the small tag ends that always stick out.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©