3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: GT question  (Read 215 times)

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
GT question
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:17:00 AM »
Are the older black GT hunters heavier then the GT trads per inch? Are the older GT's still available? I came across a black GT and really like how they shoot.

Thanks
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline BernieH

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: GT question
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Not sure what you mean by older but the GT shafts are available in black. I use the XT hunters. Off the top of my head the 55/75 shafts weigh 8.2 gr/in which is about 1 gr/in lighter than the 55/75 trads.
Bernie

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 12:55:00 PM »
i haven't noticed any difference in spine/tuning of the different gt's . i have some black ones, camo ones, and now the trad finish ones and  a 55/75 flies the same (bare shaft) out of my bow.

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 09:10:00 PM »
JL,I use to shoot both and the black 3555's were 7.4gpi and the trads are 8.6.The black are a little stiffer,can't remember the spine difference,and I had to add more weight to the front of them than the  trads to get them to fly right.Go to  www.goldtip.com  to get all the specs on each.

Offline Scott J. Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:19:00 AM »
I have weighed some of the older black shafts of the same spine, and found that the woodgrain GT of that spine are heavier.  The finish adds weight, I would suggest that they are slightly stiffer too.
Black Widow SAV Recurve 60inch "Ironwood" 62@28
Black Widow PLX longbow 62inch "Osage" 52@26

Offline just a bit outside

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 02:28:00 PM »
What JL didn't tell you when he said he "came across" was that he FOUND the arrow he had lost last year buried under the leaves where we shoot. The only thing wrong with it was the point was a little rusty. The fletching were still good and all and wouldn't you know it. That sucker still flew perfectly.

That should be a testament to how good those GTs are. Try that with a woodie! Virtually indestructable.

Yes, JL does loose one every now and again. But he was right, that old 3555 GT hunter did fly better than our newer 3555 GT traditionals. Weird. I ended up having to buy him a beer because they flew better!!!

Greg
We should have shotguns for this kind of deal.

Jeff Carter Southern Draw 64" Hybrid LB 43@28/48@28
Zipper SXT Recurve/LB 58" 47@27

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:46:00 PM »
GT info for what it's worth.  35/55 Trads .500 spine. old XT Hunters black .480  That all goes out the window when you spine check each shaft.. I have found GT (and other MFG) that were .500 spine the tested anywhere from, .540-.450. Also checked the spine at each fletching point, Cock feather ..490 first hen .505 next hen .515  This is just what we have found........ each shft we tested had different results......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline J.Williams

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
Yeah,I can believe that DesertDude...and I've heard similar stories.The only info I knew on their spine was from the Goldtip website since I don't have a spinetester.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©