Author Topic: Tillering help please  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tillering help please
« on: March 18, 2018, 01:20:00 PM »
Hey Guys.
Hope you're all recovering well from your St. Patty's Day shenanigans.

Hoping a few more sets of eyes on this bow might help me along.

This bow does look a little weird about mid limb.
For some reason I decided to have about an 8" clamped in flat spot in my bow form. I was trying to have quite a forward handle without the midlimb dips being too deep...and still have a fairly quick upturn at the tips.
Anyway...it makes it look a little strange at brace and tillering as when the flat spots bend it looks like a hinge...but I think it's bending just as much there as the rest of the curved parts of the limb....don't think I'll be doing that again..lol

Anyway here's some pics and a couple vids.
Let me know what ya think please.
...and don't feel like ya gotta sugar coat it..just give it to me straight..
Thanks
Sorry the camera was about 2˚ off in the vids.

Unbraced..

6" brace...

1st time on tree longstring tillering...

Tillering from 6" brace...

If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline John Malone

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tillering help please
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2018, 01:41:00 PM »
If it were me I wouldn't tiller or brace any more until I got that fixed. I would try and make some kinda form turn it belly up and heat or steam the flat spots out.
But you might want to wait for some one who knows what their talking about to chime in.
Life is to short to pass up anything that could potentially be bow wood!

Offline Wolftrail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2018, 02:14:00 PM »
The fade transition looks abrupt or maybe your design allows for that.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
Thanks guys.

I "think" the fades are ok.
The powerlam/riser insert or whatever it's called tapers out into the limbs about 1 3/4 - 2" past the handle section fades...very hard to see in the pics.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 02:59:00 PM »
Well that's different...

Haven't ya seen enough pictures of my form?  :)

It's balanced though.. Go ahead and finish the tiller out..

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 03:24:00 PM »
lol...Yeah I've seen your form Roy..and have about every spec you've mentioned written down in triplicate.

I just can't help but do something different..not because I don't like what you do..(your bows look awesome)..I just need to do my own thing....for better or for worse....probably worse.

This one came in way overweight...like 45# on the long string to get it to brace profile. So I faceted the hell outta it like you taught me and wholla..pretty close. I did make this one a little wide (1 1/2") which added to the weight. I just wanted to have a little added wiggle room if the tillering wasn't perfect....and I like a wider grip. Figured I could slim her down in later attempts if I liked the form layout.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:53:00 PM »
Well it looks better than all your others.. LOL

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2018, 04:00:00 PM »
must admit...that ain't sayin much..    :rolleyes:

Funny thing..
The string I'm tillering with is actually the string off my 1st BBO.
it's the only bow I've made that actually still works.
...and guess who's specs it was made to...lol

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©