3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How do you grip your longbows??  (Read 575 times)

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
How do you grip your longbows??
« on: March 10, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I recently aquired my first longbow, a JD Berry Scorpion that I LOVE.  It is a sweet shooter, to say the least.  It has kind of a medium grip that I really like, and I wanted to see if I could get some info on how the rest of you grip your bows.  I always have used a high wrist on all my recurves (see Fred Asbell), and have tried it on the Berry as well, and can shoot it fine that way.  But I know that most of you longbow guys use a low grip, and when I try that, the bow seems louder and I cant seem to group as well.  Am I doing something wrong?  Any help greatly appreciated.

Offline tim-flood

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How do you grip your longbows??
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 05:25:00 PM »
I like to shoot my low grip long bows that have no arrow cutout like an english with a slighty bent elbow

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
I shoot all my longbows with a loose grip, and my fingers hardy touch the back of the bow at all.  I also shoot with a slightly bent bow arm.  Good luck.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
I think it is just what you are accustomed too.For me I like a straight,dish or a mild locator grip on my longbows.I started out shooting longbows and after years of shooting them it is just what I prefer.I have never really cared for a recurve type grip on a recurve or a hybrid longbow.Shooting with a low grip just fits me better.When I tried recurves my accuracy suffers until I can mentally adjust my sight picture with a bow cut past center and the higher wrist grip.I always go back to shooting longbows.I use the heel of my hand and grip the bow,just holding it not a death grip with a slight bent elbow and a slight cant.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 06:24:00 PM »
Grip?  Never grip a bow.  

Just let the handle settle in your hand.  It's not a chain saw.  It's not going to jump outta your hand (unless you are shooting a Jerry Hill, I suppose).
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 06:29:00 PM »
I'm with Mike and Jeff. I don't grip the bow; fingers just BARELY curled. Essentually, and open hand with just enough finger curel to keep the bow from dropping away when I release.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 06:36:00 PM »
a loose grip, slightly bent elbow....

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 08:27:00 PM »
The type of grip on the bow limits the optimal wrist position(s).  If it's a medium recurve grip, you don't want to try to shoot it low wrist, i.e., with a lot of heel, though you can probably do just fine shooting it medium or high wrist.  I echo what the others said.  Grip it gently.

Offline SOS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 08:36:00 PM »
I found I like a firmer grip on both my longbow and my hybrid longbow.  Part of which minimizes any shock to my elbow.

Offline hvyhitter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
I grip the hell out of my bows,I like the positive control....comes from years shooting bullseye pistol.
Bowhunting is "KILL and EAT" not "Catch and Release".....Semper Fi!

Offline Jeff Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »
I started shooting longbows back in the mid 80's when Dan Quillian conviniced me to swap from a recurve to a longbow. He told me to grip my longbow like shaking a man's hand as with a firm grip and shoot a recurve like shaking hands with a lady. I still shoot that way and it works for me. Just try it both ways till you find your sweet spot and stick with that.
Living and hunting with a traditional mindset.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 10:06:00 PM »
I know that most of you longbow guys use a low grip, and when I try that, the bow seems louder and I cant seem to group as well. Am I doing something wrong? Any help greatly appreciated.  
You're getting too much of the lower part of your hand on the bow, the part below your ring finger and little finger. That causes the bow to torque into the arrow and makes a clacking sound as the arrow is trying to get past the bow    :readit:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline slayer1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
Ron said it all....If you shoot a true D shape long bow with a traditional grip you should settle the handle in the meaty part of your hand with your fingers slightly curled around the front of the grip. I keep going back to my longbows because the bow will tell me when I do something wrong. What I mean is the bow will not sound right(loud) when I don't grip it right. All that's left from there is making sure the elevation is correct. I try to imagine pushing my wrist through the front of grip handle.(if that make sense)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©