INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Be Careful on Photobucket Today + using Ubuntu Linux  (Read 12427 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Be Careful on Photobucket Today + using Ubuntu Linux
« Reply #80 on: January 30, 2009, 08:00:00 AM »
+1 on using FireFox as your browser.     :thumbsup:     :thumbsup:  

Stay away from as many Internet related Microsoft products as possible - this includes the Internet Explorer browser, and the Outlook email application.  

Use FireFox for your browser and pick any one of many free Windows based email applications such as Eudora.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 30, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »
DS, even with 2 gigs of ram and much of the annoying stuff disabled, Vista still runs like a narcoleptic dog on my laptop; anytime it gets excited it passes out for a few seconds.

The Ubuntu install went well and the difference (for me) is amazing.  Thanks!  :)
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #82 on: January 30, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jeremy:
DS, even with 2 gigs of ram and much of the annoying stuff disabled, Vista still runs like a narcoleptic dog on my laptop; anytime it gets excited it passes out for a few seconds.

FIRST thing I did with my daughter's new Vaio notebook was to kill Vista and install XP/Ubuntu in dual boot.  Ditto's for my two granddaughter's machines, Vista is THAT bad.  Yeesh.

The Ubuntu install went well and the difference (for me) is amazing.  Thanks!   :)  

Another convert, welcome to the Linux club!  :D

Offline Downsouth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 30, 2009, 10:14:00 AM »
When vista came out I installed the basic version on my poor old Dell laptop. Microsoft claimed at the time vista would work with 512 mgs of ram!hahaha! After almost grinding the harddrive to a pulp, I reinstalled XP pro on it to save it further pain and suffering,lol!I bought a new pc this summer with vista premium on it. Once I gave vista it's much needed lobotomy, and upped the ram to 4 gigs it's all good!

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 30, 2009, 10:58:00 AM »
Well, I'm about as computer illiterate as they come, and I recently downloaded Ubuntu onto a disc so I could play with it. The difference is like daylight and dark between that and Vista.

Vista seems to get "confused" and stops, starts, and slows down until it gets frustrating. Several times I have restarted my computer and started over. I'm going to try for a dual boot, wish me luck!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline jack benson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 30, 2009, 11:26:00 AM »
Anyone with an old dated and unused computer might want to try installing Ubuntu (or any one of the Linux distros)on it.

Revived a old Millenium (remember that?!)running computer for a friend with some minor upgrades and Ubuntu. His kids now have their own computer which they can use for some (low end games)and school work. Total cost was way cheaper than purchasing an entire new system.

I got one of those Asus EEE netbooks to play with and see if my mother would like it (the clubhouse at her park has wireless)for email and internet since she only has dialup at home. Nice set up of Linux on it and works great. Amazing thing was that unless you knew it, you would not realize that this ran a non-Windows OS.

Freedom from Microsoft is a joy!
Without geometry, life is pointless.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 30, 2009, 11:40:00 AM »
When you download ubuntu does it prompt you to burn it to a disk? It did for me. Also, thanks for letting keep this non trad. archery thread going for if it weren't for our pc's there would not be a tradgang.com to come to.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2009, 12:10:00 PM »
Originally posted by razorsharptokill:
When you download ubuntu does it prompt you to burn it to a disk? ...
It's your PC that's asking that question.  It sees a .iso file and knows you have a CD burner.  It's yer call to either burn directly to a CD or save the file and burn it later.

Once the CD has been created, pop it in a CD drive and reboot yer system and you can test drive Ubuntu Linux without changing anything.  You can also install Ubuntu from that CD, in a dual boot mode (highly recommended).

Offline TRB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 30, 2009, 01:18:00 PM »
Jack Benson, remember the old Millenium? I`m using one on an old Gateway . Why cause I`m cheap.
The only thing I use a computer for is emails and coming to Trad Gang. I guess I might be what the kids call old school.
I ordered the Ubuntu cd. Can`t download, dial-up. (My niece keeps telling me that I need to step into the 21st century.) I hope they have instructions with the cd. Maybe I had better let my niece install it.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »
Without these dang computers and the Internet, there wouldn't be Trad Gang.

And as y'all can see, this has been an interesting and important topic.  

Hence, it's now nestled in its own forum.  

We expect this forum to be the place to talk specifically about accessing and using Trad Gang.

Thanx!

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 31, 2009, 02:01:00 AM »
It saved an icon to my desktop that says roxio and that is what prompts me to burn a cd. Does that sound right?
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #91 on: January 31, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
Originally posted by razorsharptokill:
It saved an icon to my desktop that says roxio and that is what prompts me to burn a cd. Does that sound right?
Sounds right.

Offline LoneWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: February 06, 2009, 03:39:00 PM »
I run Ubuntu myself, great for those who don't have alot of Linux experience but still has all the high features for those who know how to use them.  Also Linux has very few viruses that effect it.  
Vista must be Latin for Virus.  Haven't cared for it since my first dealings with it.  MS hasn't released anything worth using since Windows 3.11 in my opinion.  And yes I have been working on Computers since 3.1 came out.
LoneWolf
"Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;" Gen 27:3

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2009, 10:20:00 PM »
Maybe someone can help here. I started to install Ubuntu and it was doing the drive partition when it seemed that it locked up. Nothing changed for hours and I couldn't hear a drive running so I shut it down. Now when I try to install Ubuntu it appears that Ubuntu wants to use 100% of a drive. I just don't know  if this is the new partition or the main drive.

Offline Li'L Jon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: February 16, 2009, 06:17:00 AM »
You just have to love computers.

I got that a while back, and there was just no way to shake it out.That is, short of burying the PC in the back yard. I was told by local geek that there was no patch for it yet.

I dumped the operating system and did a re-install, and spent the next couple days finding drivers and all that happy stuff.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #95 on: February 16, 2009, 06:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by raghorn:
Maybe someone can help here. I started to install Ubuntu and it was doing the drive partition when it seemed that it locked up. Nothing changed for hours and I couldn't hear a drive running so I shut it down. Now when I try to install Ubuntu it appears that Ubuntu wants to use 100% of a drive. I just don't know  if this is the new partition or the main drive.
Is your PC working right now?

What is your original operating system?

Do you have your original operating system disk?

DID YOU BACK UP ALL YOUR DATA?

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: February 16, 2009, 09:57:00 AM »
Ron, I checked the Ubuntu discussion forums for common problems before installing.  They recommended you defrag your drive before attempting the install... if you didn't, that drive partitioning can take hours with no apparent progress.  Even with a defrag, mine took a little over 45 minutes with the "progress" bar always reading 0%.  It went from 0-100% in a few seconds after the long wait.

The Ubuntu partitioning page shows all drive partitions, so if it's only showing one something is up.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: February 18, 2009, 07:31:00 PM »
I just got a Mac, and feel naked. I am wandering about alone, with no MacAfee to clothe me, no Spybot at my side. How does one live without right-clicking?

Killdeer   :scared:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #98 on: February 18, 2009, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Killdeer:
I just got a Mac, and feel naked. I am wandering about alone, with no MacAfee to clothe me, no Spybot at my side. How does one live without right-clicking?

Killdeer    :scared:  
Personally, a Mac is simply way superior to any MS/OS PC ... but a Linux/OS PC is better yet still (well, at least for me!).

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: February 18, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »
killie download avast its free and i dont have a problem at all with that one free is good.  :thumbsup:    :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©