3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Blooded My Dano "Sneaky Snake" Osage Bow  (Read 642 times)

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Blooded My Dano "Sneaky Snake" Osage Bow
« on: March 10, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Well, I couldn't do it during the Deer season - but I did it today. My wife and I were bringing St. Patty's Day and Easter decorations out of our storage shed today, when she almost ran over me, hastily exiting the shed, saying that there was a"Racoon" in there. I said "Where," with a hint of disbelief in my voice, I fear - (DUH!). She told me, in no uncertain terms, that it was up in the corner, staring at her and making nasty sounds. Swiftly, seeing the better judgement of action, I jumped into the frey, as it were. Sure enough, eyes staring from the top of our piled up "junk" back in the far left corner. Baleful eyes, fixing me with a threatening, "I dare you," scrutiny. BUT I saw no Mask. Being the alert and astute observer of wildlife that I am, as soon as my eyes became adjusted to the dim interior a little, I quickly informed her that her Racoon was a large Possum. Would you believe that gentle woman (loudly) didn't give a - - - care?

"Just get it out of there!"

Well I gotta tell you that guy (turned out to be a big ol' boar) was obviously very comfortable on a bed of stuffing he had torn out of a large old stuffed archery target, that I had stored in there. It was imediatly obvious that he was of no inclination to leave peacefully. I asked Rose to keep an eye on him while I went to get my bow. She quickly replied, again in no uncertain terms, with just where I could go. I opted to go get my bow anyway. Meanwhile she "urged" me to not take all day, if I didn't mind too much.

Anyway it was no easy shot, though close; what with all kinds of things sticking up between it and my only reasonable position, which was outside the door, due to lack of height inside, and against the jamb, so I could see down the side into "his' corner. Things, like what turned out to be a metal clothes rack, which deflected my first two shots into a two x four in the corner just behind him (liked to have never got 'em out). I reached for my third self made Cane arrow but about that time Rose, showing better sense and presence of mind than some others on the scene, that I could mention, shone a flashlight over my shoulder. I briefly wondered when she had gone and got that. Oh well, now I could see, and knew what that metalic sound had been caused by, that had deflected my trusty Canes from my more than accurate use of my trusty "Sneaky Snake" Osage. My third Cane vindicated me (and the use of the flashlight), and appeased the spirit of the bow (I hope). It entered just behind the critters ear.

Durn, Those ol' boars are hard to kill. Rose tapped my shoulder again - she' was getting real pesky, I thought, untill I saw the four wooden arrows she had also conjoured up along with the flashlight, and was proferring to me now. Well to end this gory tale I sunk three of my self made woods into the critter also, and as he decided to head towards me, rattling the four arrows on the shed wall and hissing the way Possums do, I was hurriedly knocking my fourth. I didn't have to loose it though, as suddenly he pitched forward and expired, mouth still open, and still on the shelf that he had built his comfy home upon. Sorry ol' fellah, it's my shed!

Bow well blooded, hunt over.

Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Blooded My Dano "Sneaky Snake" Osage Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 10:51:00 PM »
Great story Bernie.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Okie 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Um, Um, possum stew, just like granny used to make.
Take a kid hunt'n. (If not who'll drag your deer out when you get old?!) Bear Creek Selfbows

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Reminds me of a one eared tom cat in a garage about 30 years ago,, But that was a long time ago.. (Gotta love short bows)
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
I hope you didn't have any of Rose's afghans stored in there  :scared:  
Bernie, if you would've had some heavy, extreme FOC, single bevel,...oh never mind  :D
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Bert Frelink

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
Heck that's no possum, looks more like a porcupine to me  :scared:

Offline John Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
Not bad Bernie............all in the 8 ring!(LOL)

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
Nice grouping   :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
You know me, John, never one to waste Tens - LOL

Thanks all, for looking and reading. No Afghans in there, Owlbait but we surely have some winners stored away for St. Judes Auction. I was afraid to use  broadheads in there - I'll bet that poor critter was wishing I had though. I really would never have got those out of the 2x4 - LOL.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
nice group, Bernie-semper fi
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Bernie, You sure that ain't a porkypine? Good shooting and great story. Ain't wives wonderful?  Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline deadpool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
awsome groupin!
belchh
i hate possums!!

Offline flatbowMB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
...looks like you can kill a dead possum with field points...

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »
Too bad for 'ol mr possum there.....i like those suckers. now raccoons, you can shoot all you want.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2008, 02:33:00 AM »
Just reminded me of a story from my oldest son. He trapped one inside the house and it took him 45 minuteas to eradicate it. His wife was on wits end and the 5 kids wre telling him how to do it. Not being of the presence of mind to git the bow out, step back 10 ft and shoot, he opted to use an old sword, stick him in the corner until the pos playrd dead. Went to pick him up by the tail, and sure as hell, he was just playin dead. David would have to tell you the remainder of this story, cause I'm laughin too hard.
ber643 you could write a book. Great story.
Fred
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2008, 05:33:00 AM »
LOL Good Job Bernie.  :bigsmyl:
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2008, 06:03:00 AM »
Good job! Nice shooting!  ;)   :thumbsup:
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2008, 06:33:00 AM »
Thanks for the tale Bernie.  It was like being there.  Sounds like your wife and mine might just be cut from the same tree.  LOL!  Once your light arived, you grouped in nicely.  Happy Hunting!  :goldtooth:  

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2008, 06:45:00 AM »
Nice shooting Bernie. Sounds like you had "good" back-up too; not sure my partner would have stood her ground when that possum started our way.  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2008, 07:03:00 AM »
good job Bernie!  that's one heck of a way to practice for a coon shoot.   :thumbsup:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©