INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: Google Earth help  (Read 1596 times)

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
Google Earth help
« on: October 10, 2011, 10:40:00 AM »
Yes I know that this is a traditional archery web site but since we are all living in the 21st century there are modern technological tools that we hunters have at our disposal. Since I am certainly no tech guy,I have all I can do to figure out how to send an e mail I still have the desire to learn more about the technolagy to help me become a better hunter.

I've heard about a thing on the computer called Google Earth. I have it in my computer and the immages it can show are pretty awesome. It even has a tool where you can measure distances between 2 points like a hunting stand site and a house.

Since I've been messing with the Google Earth thing I have yet to find where or even if I can switch the immage of my hunting areas from photos to topo or even better yet have the topo markings shown on the photo immages.

My question to someone who is way more computer smart than I is..... Can topo features be placed on photo immages with Google Earth?
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline 1kwikstik

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Google Earth help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 11:04:00 AM »
I'll be watching this one...I've wondered the same thing just never had the time to pursue it. Good question Larry!
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us. What we have done for others lasts forever.

Compton Traditional Bowhunters

Offline PowDuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
To my knowledge, no topo on GoogleEarth.
Romans 8:28

Online Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2011, 12:06:00 PM »
Originally posted by PowDuck:
To my knowledge, no topo on GoogleEarth.
Same here...I have messed with it quite a bit and don't think it has that option.
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 12:27:00 PM »
Go to your county's website and locate their map section.  All the counties I have done this with allow topo overlays on the aerial.  Our county allows all the 8"x11" prints you want for free from your home PC.  I got a 24"x36" aerial photo (photo paper) with topo overlays of the 1500 acreas we are hunting this year for the Michigan Longbow Association Hunt/Camp.  It has been very useful for everyone who has come out so far.  The 2'x3' map cost me $15 and after a hummus accident, it is now laminated.  If I wanted to buy a 3'x4' aerial photo, it would have cost $20.  Now those prices are if you go there and pick it up.  If you want to do it from your PC, it is $7.50 shipping and handling.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Bob Palmer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I haven't found Topo features on Google Earth...oddly enough, Google Maps does have topo under the Terrain Features...go figure!!!
"Today's mighty oak is just yesterday's nut that held its ground."
- Anonymous

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 01:29:00 PM »
I was thinking that by over laying them I could be able to mark spots that I have hunted and possibly see where I have seen deer. Wanted to use it more like a scouting tool and even quite possibly incorporate my smart phone into it while I'm out in the woods. Maybe even put in GPS numbers IDK.

Like I said I'm no tech guy and am learning things all the time. This was just a though while I was in the woods waiting for some deer to wander into my bow range.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Offline huntmaster80

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 05:10:00 PM »
Bob palmer said it, but the topo feature isn't that great on google earth. But I still believe that it is a very valuable tool to use for hunting. It works great for the small patches of woods that I hunt in. It puts some sense as to why the deer move around the housing developments the way they do around here.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2011, 05:43:00 PM »
go to 3dsolar.com and download the USGS topo maps.Once you do that you open google earth. Then go to your desktop and open the topo maps icon. You will be able to overlay the topo over the google earth. There is a slide bar on google earth that will allow you to lighten and darken the topo map overlay.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 06:07:00 PM »
Just tried going there and this message poped up. "The Google Earth Community is currently down for maintenance"
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 06:53:00 PM »
Horatio PM sent
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

Offline Rod Witkos

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
I use this:
 http://mapper.acme.com/
Upper right corner tabs switch databases from map to photo to topo etc.
“'I don't go into the woods to "rough it"; I go into the woods to "smooth it". I get it rough enough in the city.'

Horace Kephart, 'Camping and Woodcraft'; 1917”

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 07:44:00 PM »
yup     acmemapper.com
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 08:59:00 PM »
I like that one.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline raghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©