3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: math challenged  (Read 569 times)

Offline shield cut

• Trad Bowhunter
math challenged
« on: February 08, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
need some help. I am trying to find the best starting point for string silencers. I have heard over and over to measure from the point the string goes from touching the bow to not (the recurve portion) and measure that distance. In this case it is 45 inches. Now I was told to divide that by 4 which is 11.25. now does this mean measure down from where the string leaves the bow 11.25 inches and install the silencers? This just does not seem right when I look at it. It would put the silencers much lower then anything else I have seen before. Where am I going wrong here ?????
go terps

Offline Mark Trego

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: math challenged
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 08:54:00 PM »
That ain't to far off to start, shoot some arras there then move them a tad, see where it shoots the best.If your bow is kinda loud your brace height may have to be raised or try heavier arras.
" It's Five O'Clock Somewhere"

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 10:49:00 PM »
I tried it and kept getting my birthday...that's so cool..   :bigsmyl:  

Seriously, I heard one third of the string if you're using two silencers; and divide into fourths if you were using four.

I suppose you could just fold the sections if you don't trust math.; and just move a little and listen.

http://domino.htcomp.net/bhn/Columnists.nsf/d731dec9a617821886256590000646df/88e3fe9153d83e3d8625690d007448aa?OpenDocument

the place is where you hear a thud and not a 'tone'.

If two places do it, choose the one closer to the tip.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:17:00 AM »
Start @ 1/3 the string length from each loop & move them up or down as needed. Also keep an eye on your brace height.
Lower is slightly faster, but louder. Higher is a little less quick (you can't tell the difference w/o a chrono) but quieter.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Marvin M.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
They don't have to be the same distance.  I've started putting on at 1/3 and the other at 1/4.  

That way, you get the first and second harmonic.  Supposed to quiet more of the sound waves.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©