3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow (Worth it?)  (Read 831 times)

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow (Worth it?)
« on: March 11, 2008, 10:07:00 PM »
I saw a post similar to that a few weeks ago.  Wellllllll.  I stopped in the Black Widow store yesterday to find out.  I now have a Bob Lee recurve and have shot it for about 2 months.  Thats all the Trad experience I have.  

I have to say I was a friend as soon as I walked in the door.  Top notch folks there!  I told them I was looking for something in the 50lb range about 58in.  They handed me the PMA II in Ironwood.  Shot it at about 12 yards I guess.  First shot hit the black dot about the size of a half dollar, and continued to hit it time after time! Backed up as far as I could and done it again!  I would have been lucky to hit that dot twice w/ the bow I shoot now.  It shoots smooth and all, but she just isnt "the one."

I have to say I dont even want to go shoot my "new" bow now.  I had shot a Widow long ago in my wheelie days and it shot the same as these.  Right were I was looking!!  Sooooo.  There will probably be a Bob Lee for sale in the classifieds later!  If any of you Widow workers visit Trad Gang THANKS AGAIN!

Offline doug77

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow (Worth it?)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 10:17:00 PM »
hear we go again.   yes.

doug77

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
Any bow is worth it, if it's the one you gotta have.  I don't have a Widow, but wouldn't be surprised if I do someday.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again:  You will NOT find a bunch of guys who are more willing to help you than the folks at Black Widow.  Good bows and good people.
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
Widows are great bows, but so are Bob Lees
it sounds to me that the Bob Lee isn't tuned
in to your arrow. I will guarantee that the widow
was tuned in.
That being said what is your set up?
Scott
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 10:37:00 PM »
Buy the cotton picken Widow, ya can thanks me later they are worth it!!!!! ya know ya want it..LOL  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline huntnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 10:41:00 PM »
I started a post like this last week, and all I have to says is yes they are worth it. I love mine and I have only had it for 1 day. Sell the Lee and get a widow.
Bear Grizzly 50#@28

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:25:00 PM »
tit lol!!!!!!!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline longstick

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:39:00 PM »
wellllll...let me see,new clubs didnt help my golf game any but the WIDOW sure did improve my archery ability    :biglaugh:
>>-TGMM Family of the Bow-->

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:52:00 AM »
Love my pair. Love my Dad's pair. They rock. Super fast and just go where you want em to. Get one used and be happy.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline Dave Bulla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:44:00 AM »
What Scott Smith said.

But yea, Widows are great bows.....

By the way, where are you at in Smithville?  I'm just down 169 and then over 152 to green hills rd and south a tad.  The Coves subdivision.

You ever hunt Platte Falls?
Dave

I've come to believe that the keys to shooting well for me are good form, trusting the bow to do all the work, and having the confidence in the bow and myself to remain motionless and relaxed at release until the arrow hits the mark.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 09:35:00 AM »
Im actually in Trimble (The Mistake By The Lake) as my son calls it.  I put Smithville because no one knows where T-Town is lol.  Ive drove around Platte Falls during the season ,but never hunted there.  Lots of cars around.  Might be a nice challange though.

Maybe when I get the Widow we can get togther and shoot.

Offline Pinecone

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Worth it?  You bet!  But then...since you have shot one, you already know that  ;)  !

Claudia
Pinecone

Offline BCD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Well everyone has a right to their own opinion-are they worth it-no way! Many better bows out there for a lot less coin and no I'm not cheap.
BCD

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
Nope.  I just buy them to hold back my snow banks.    :biglaugh:  

Skinner
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline Rick_H

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 11:47:00 AM »
Well, I have both Lee and Widow, and for me the Lee shot better right out of the box, but I really like them both. Like someone else said it's all about the grip.

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
This question could be asked about any number of custom bows costing the same or more than a BW, but I never see it asked  :confused:  .
 To answer the question........To me? Yes.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2008, 03:47:00 PM »
For some reason every Black Widow I shoot, I like. My wife and I both bought PSA3's in 2005. I had NO intention of buying a BW but we were shopping for her and after shooting every bow at Cloverdale and Compton she kept going back to the Widow. I said, let me try that thing and I was shocked how well it shot. I went to the Widow booth and got one in my normal weight and length. After only a couple arrows, I turned to my wife and said WOW. We ordered her bow at Compton and I waited 2 weeks and decided to order mine.
Click:

That fall I shot this dandy 9 pointer. He was my first recurve deer.

Click:

Then I followed it up with a Caribou in Alaska.
Click:

I traded a fellow here on TG a bow that I could not get accustom to for his TF. This bow is only 1# less in draw and a perfect fit shooting the same arrow setup as my PSA. A couple years ago I also shot a used LAG at Cloverdale and almost bought it (vendors price too high) because I liked the grip so much. I could not decide between it and a new PL. I was doing a side by side comparison and liked them both...

Kinda sound Spider bit... I know.

Any how the desire for a LAG grew and I kept looking and found this one that I could not resist. It has the talon Take down system and something I never saw on a BW... Antler tips!

Click:

Hope you did not mind all the old pix but I figured they would help my story...

Regards,
Bill

By the way. I own other bows that I like to shoot as well. Fedora, Bob Lee, Adcock and Dakota. I just shoot the widows best and all that matters is how a bow shoots for the individual. As said before "Your mileage may vary".
Aim Small

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2008, 06:03:00 PM »
Widows are fine bows and their customer servive is hard to beat.One of my cousins recently bought a used one and called the factory with some questions and is now on a 1st name basis with "Vernon" LOL! He says theyre good dudes to talk to and is very glad to have spent the G- note on his bow.

Offline DraglineMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2008, 08:28:00 PM »
I have 2 and have one on order and i like them

Offline Nakohe

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
I have owned three and could not get used to the grip. I even had one with the Ashbell grip. I just shoot my Cheyene and Quest better.
"Then Peter said unto them. Repent all of you and be baptized in the Name of Jesus for remission of sins and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:38

TGMM Family Of The Bow
Life Member T. B. O. T.
SGT. U.S.A.F. '72-'76
Life Member NRA

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©