3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats the deal with carbon manufacturers?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats the deal with carbon manufacturers?
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
George Im glad you like alluminums, JC Im glad you like carbons and I am glad (Insert name) likes woodies. The world would be quite boring if we were all alike. And what fun would it be if there was only one arrows material, bow, quiver...etc. That would take all the fun out of tinkering and trying to find the "Perfect" piece of equipment!    :biglaugh:
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2008, 02:41:00 PM »
JC, are you trying to imply that I'm old just because my first big game bow kill was fifty years ago?  You young whipper-snapper; I was just a child prodogy. I'm just now coming into my stride!  :p  

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2008, 02:51:00 PM »
LOL Doc!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
Uhhhh, no Doc, certainly wouldn't...especially since everyone says you are a fine, strapping, hulk of a man certainly well within his prime. No SIR, not old...seasoned, honed and sharpened sure...but never "old"...Mr. Ashby, SIR.   :bigsmyl:  

Yep, sometimes a whipper-snapper...I know I'm only 40 and have always been questioning things...but also smart enough to listen to those I see well qualified as mentors (at least listen a little). I just may ask them a question or two after they tell me how it is. Every now and then, BOTH the whipper-snapper and mentor learn something from a "fresh" view. Awfully glad you took the time to show us something "fresh" (though not necessarily "new" as you have pointed out). How much more of the ancient technology have we forgotten?

Lewis, yep, variety is one of the many spices of life. I hope wood and aluminum will always be around...if for no other reason than for those that WANT them.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
"Yep, and what a great buy it is George! What about all those "old trad shooters" that have embraced it? Maybe, you should try looking at it as an option instead of simply something that does not adhere to your conventional way of thinking. Extreme FOC works, whether you are "new" or "old".

If carbon arrows haven't shown you anything, maybe you should try looking at it from a different angle?"

Sounds a little condescending to me.  And, I will retract the "Son" as well.  My son wouldn't be condescending 8^).

Offline bowbert

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »
I'm starting to think we aren't EVER going to agree on what's the best arrow to shoot...dang it all.  What is this, a democracy?

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2008, 03:16:00 PM »
George....it really sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder about something.

The accusations you made about Joe are out of line and way out of character for both you and Joe.  Your comments prove you have never met Joe or that you have any idea of 'knowing' him.

Funny some are so quick to judge someone by the LEAST effective way of communicating, ...the typed word on the internet.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
George, neither would my father's son, especially to an elder. Never meant as condescending...and I apologize if you took it that way, my communication skills vary from day to day. If you can tell me how I should have written it to not sound that way to you, I will gladly re-write it.

My intent is never to poke the fire, only to see people try something new (that a lot of folk think highly of) if they have not yet. Seriously, have you tried high FOC with carbons? If you haven't, I don't think it's fair to label it "a bill of goods". (By the way, did you not think that condescending to Dr. Ashby? I assume he would be the "seller" of said "bill of goods".)

Still would love to hear your input on what it would take to suit you with carbons. Again, no condescention, simply asking the question.

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2008, 03:27:00 PM »
Now, I ain't never met George, but I'd bet we have more in common that we do 'in-different'. All this ain't nut'n a'tall.

I do a lot of my hunt'n with fellers tot'n guns and them funny wheely bows - and a few fine black fellers tot'n just home-made spears - and we all manage ta get along ... purt'near civil.   :campfire:  

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »
(insert fog-horn leghorn accent here) Why land na goshen Doc, you speak suthun like a small town politician at a fund raiser....

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2008, 04:11:00 PM »
Sur, I think I resemble that remark! A many o' my kin gived all fo' Dixie! Gen. Turner Ashby 'furn one.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2008, 04:21:00 PM »
They make any spines of carbon arrows.Probably as many as made in aluminum now.The problem arises for stickbow shoots not because they can not find a spine that will work from any bow.It is because they are locked into shooting certain arrow weights unlike compound shooters who do not have warrenty issues with lighter weight arrows.I personally see no need for more sizes and never saw the need for so many aluminum sizes.jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
I cringe at the prices of SOME of the carbons. I like any arrow I use, providing it meets the GPI recommendation of the bowyer and flies well. That being said, I do think it is relatively easy to tune an arrow of any material to any bow, providing the spine is close.(Easy, Im still new!)
I think that each material has its pros and cons. I have broken woodies, bent aluminums, and snapped carbons with my 45# longbow. I prefer woodies, because they are so much fun to make, and the shafts are cheap compared to aluminum and carbon. I also think carbon is the most durable of the three, with some varieties of wood coming close.
It all boils down to what you prefer to make and or shoot, and how you make that shaft work for you.
Personally, I will shoot whatever appeals to my allowance from my wife.  :biglaugh:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline scriv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Don't forget about us guys that need a 32" arrow or else I'd have an overdraw on my longbow.  More choices make it much easier for us.

If you really want to feel better about the situation get a target archers catalog and try to find some carbon/aluminum target arrows.  Shafts start about $150 a dozen and don't stop until you are over $300.  Tungsten points $225 a dozen.  Really? Makes the most expensive broadhead seem cheap in comparison.
Shoot strait and have fun!

Toelke Whip
Black Widow PLX
A&H ACS-CX
Hoyt Formula RX

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
Got to love that last 'reason'! That's the single best one I've heard for deciding on what arrow is best to use!  :biglaugh:  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
I gotta agree with JC on this one, and also must add that i have seen lots of people who claim to have perfect arrow flight and I would not be caught dead shooting with the flight they get. why does everyone want to make stuff so complictaed. I can cut most any carbon or aluminum(I hate aluminum)to 29.5-30"s and get it to fly perfect ou of my bow by just playing with point weight, some arrows I may need 100 grains up front and others 425 grains up front, but I can get them to fly. Shawn
Shawn

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2008, 04:52:00 PM »
JC....I do apologize my friend.  It is not unusual to take something out of context and perhaps I did that.  I am an old grouchy, curmudgeon afterall 8^).  And, perhaps you noticed I can get defensive about my choices; read that a little thick-headed.  Your last post was very professional and understanding, so I will pull my foot out of my mouth and start over.

I have nothing against carbon arrows, and I'm actually waiting for better densities that allow for heavier weights and more variable spines. I'm not totally sold on the "extreme" front of center, but I am still learning about such things myself.  Admitedly, I am slow to change what has worked for so long....so well.  

I have tried GT's and broke a bunch of them.  I have also tried Carbonwood's and like them, but I still broke them....usually mushrooming the ends.  That has shown me that there is still room to grow in the durability area.  

I used to shoot fiberglass (Old fogie carbons) but the mushrooming issue was prevalent with them as well.  So I'll keep watching and listening.  Maybe one of these days....well, you never know 8^).

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Shawn, the most misused phrases I've seen in bowhunting are 'perfect shot', 'perfect flight', 'scary sharp' and 'perfect hit'!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2008, 05:05:00 PM »
LMAO
Complicated??   :knothead:  
I started this post to ask a simple question. (Yea right like there is such a thing)
Why don't carbon manufactures make more of a selection as say Eastern does. Not really to debate them. But thats what makes Tradgang so great. Just like a box of chocolates, ya never know what ya gonna get inside.  :bigsmyl:  

Somewhere along the line things got sorta high jacked, twisted, turned and bent to where I thought we were in for another civil war.

George, I agree with you where I agree FOC is important, but not woth the extreme FOC.

Lots of fun fellas.    :thumbsup:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Terry...I don't need a lot of weight.  The ones I tried were around 475 using a heavy (100 gr.) broadhead adaptor and Bear Razorhead.  I would like to be in the 520 to 550 range.

I still would like to use the Bear's (145).  My bows are all around 52#, and I don't want an arrow longer than 29".

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©