3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Whats the deal with carbon manufacturers?  (Read 2078 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Whats the deal with carbon manufacturers?
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
I wish they offered more choices, too.  I can't shoot a reasonable weight carbon out of my 45lb recurve, because 35/55's and 150's simply will not shoot; way underspined.  So I have to go to a 55/75 or 250, heavily front loaded because it is too stiff.  Now I have an arrow that's about 13-14grns per pound, which is more than I want for general purpose, although it would be fine for elk, I guess.  Lots of guys get caught in spine no-man's land with carbon.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2008, 02:54:00 PM »
Paul, have you tried axis 400 heavy loaded or 500 normal? What about Arrow Dynamics (not the trad line if you want light). Carbon tech makes some very light/tough/stiff arrows for high foc if you are looking for some alternatives to get in the 450gr range. There's a ridiculous number of manufacturers...I'm pretty confident you can find an arrow that's within 10-20 gr of what you are looking for....you just may have to look a little to find it.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2008, 03:56:00 PM »
Fatman we use FRP pipe all the time. Now just to shrink it down to shaft size.

With all the issues I'm hearing of people who are having problems with carbons and or woods, I guess for someone so lucky as I am to have them both tune well out of my bows it a wonder I even started this topic.   :thumbsup:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
JC: I've only tried the Carbon Express and Gold Tips.  I was so frustrated with them that I gave up trying to get a light spine carbon to shoot.  I really would be looking to get around 500grns, since my 45lb bow is probably 49lbs at my draw.  Both the above mentioned arrows would hit sideways left with even 100grn points, at 30".  At 20 yards, they would swerve so far right that they missed my bag target!  I have been thinking of trying the Axis arrows; I hear good things about them.  However, it's just so easy to find good shooting aluminums that I tend to stay with them.  Thanks, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2008, 07:14:00 PM »
Just when I got the aluminum charts figured out, the carbons came along with all these different numbering schemes.  I must say, they are confusing at first.  It is a different material with different characteristics.  Most of the characteristics are very well suited for archery and bowhunting.  The manufacturers are just starting to target trad bows with some carbons.  For now it's take it or leave it I suppose.  I lucked out with my choice of carbons in Carbon Express Heritage but some won't choose that.  It won't be long until carbon arrows have the diverse spines that aluminums have.

Offline JCJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
I shoot a Widow PTFV 62" 43# @ 28". I draw 30" so at that length I shoot at approximately 49#. I've tried all materials and the best performance I get is with GT 55/75 that are 30-1/2" from throat of knock to back of point. On my scale, with 125 gr. field points they come in at 441gr. which is lighter than I like. They are extremely fast out of the bow and fly perfectly but because of the light weight the bow is a bit noisy. I have some 175 gr. points coming and hope I don't lose my arrow flight when I gain the weight I want.

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:00 PM »
Terry, I sent you an email regarding the AD shafts.  Thanks...Mike

Offline CJ5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2008, 11:24:00 PM »
Good discussion. I can't really add anything accept to comment on the issue of carbon "mushrooming". IMO, a good slow curing epoxy must be used on carbons intended for hard use such as stumping. Using "regular" adhesives commonly used for aluminums or hot melt is begging for trouble.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©