3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a wood Extreme FOC arrow?  (Read 2218 times)

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
Is there such a thing as a wood Extreme FOC arrow?
« on: March 12, 2008, 06:42:00 PM »
I was just reading in an old Traditional Bowhunter (Dec/Jan 2002) during a break, an article describing Idaho's "new" traditional archery season. I thought, "This is really neat. Someday Montana might do the same." Then I realized the only wood arrows I've shot were in a friend's backyard with a nearly undrawable, for me, selfbow he'd made. The homemade arrows didn't shoot well for either of us.

I shoot draw weights under 46#. And as I age, draw weight will only go down. I have been attempting to improve arrow penetration by using as much of Ed Ashby's information as I can. . . .

which brings me to wood shafts. I know essentially nothing about wood shafts. I do not know how much of Ashby's Extreme FOC technology translates to wood arrows. Shooting a bow of marginal draw weight with an arrow whose penetration is significantly inferior to an optimized carbon arrow is what I do not want to do. But I have no idea how to create a wood arrow that avoids the problem -- or if such a wood arrow is possible.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there such a thing as a wood Extreme FOC arrow?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:51:00 PM »
A footed shaft with a heavy wood out front, or one of those metal sleeves I've seen that are tapped for a screw in.....either should do the trick...if that aint enough...foot and sleeve one.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline brettlandon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:07:00 PM »
190 grizzlies help too!

-Brett
Excellence is achieved, not purchased.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
Oh my goodness. Terry, you're speaking in tongues. Would those things be kosher for a traditional archery season?

Can you -- not now, when you have time -- proceed as though I have no idea what you meant? Remember, carbon shafts I just buy. Any thought focuses on which one, never on adding "stuff" to it to bring it to perfection.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Offline Michael Peschek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
I was thinking of going to a tapered wood arrow (the last 10in.) and putting 190 grain grizzlies up front. If my calculations are correct I should have over 20% FOC.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »

This is what I shoot Asprins with.

Shrew Daddy taught me this  :bigsmyl:

Offline dino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Where did you get that COOL broadhead??  :biglaugh:
"The most demanding thing you can ask of a piece of wood is for it to become an arrow shaft. You reduce it to the smallest of dimension yet ask it to remain it's strongest, straightest and most durable." Bill Sweetland

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Nice vance!

How about a heavy 250 grain flint knapped single bevel head on  a river cane shaft that should have serious foc and look alot cooled than Vance's version.
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
toilets everywhere are quivering in fear.
got arrows?

Offline Bowspirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:40:00 PM »
That reminds me...

Works on wood, aluminum, fiberglass, and carbon, too...  :bigsmyl:  
In all seriousness though, I'm betting a POC footed with ipe or dymondwood could really give you a hefty front-end....
“I read somewhere of how important it is in life, not necessarily to be strong, but to feel strong. To measure yourself at least once.”
                -Alexander Supertramp

"Shoot this for me."
                -Chuck Nelson

Offline wapiti

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:07:00 AM »
Looks like a chitty broadhead to me.
“Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock.”-Will Rogers

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 10:00:00 AM »
I've been experimenting with high FOC woodies.  If you get the spine right they will fly exceptionally well.  On lightweight shafts though, I'm needing 250 grains to get over 20% FOC, and on anything a little heavier over 300.  My bow needs about 20# extra spine to make that jump in point weight work.
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 10:08:00 AM »
Iron Bull, I had to save that picture for future use! I love it!

Offline Caranthir

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29:00 AM »
It amazes me that you think you need to front load your wooden arrows excessively. Bazillions of deer have fallen to regular wooden arrows with "normal weight" broadheads long before Dr. Ed was a gleam in his Pappy's eye. If I read his information correctly, it is aimed at dangerous, thick skinned African game, not thin skinned, thin boned Whitetails here. JMHO  Rich

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Originally posted by Iron Bull:

This is what I shoot Asprins with.
Shrew Daddy taught me this    :bigsmyl:  
A puckish sense of humor. I like that.
Caranthir:

I'm in elk country. And I used to have my backyard fence electrified to keep grizzly bears from my garbage cans in fall. Terrible place to live, but better me than someone else.

Relying on less than optimum arrows is what I prefer to avoid. The more penetration I can expect from my arrow, the less likely a mistaken shot becomes a regrettable one.
Are laminated woods significantly more dimensionally stable and warp resistent when compared with [any] routinely used non-laminated wood? In another thread I read that hickory shafts are among the most dense and impact resistent shaft woods. If laminated woods are more stable, does any shaft maker offer laminated hickory shafting?

I've identified straight shafts, tapered shafts, and barrel tapered shafts. Penetration and impact resistance may be contrary attributes for wood shafts. Which is most impact resistent profile? Which penetrates best? Which shaft profile is best combination of the two?

One school where I taught had several outside walls painted with a Teflon® paint to reduce the effect of spray-painted graffiti. Does a Teflon® paint for wood exist? Possibly such a finish, avoiding taper tip and fletching, would enhance penetration in non-bone tissue without lowering impact resistance?

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
Danger Danger Will Robinson !!! I just wanted to add pumpkin + arrow = splinter in forearm or eye ball,dude with pumpkin on arrow should have medical insurence paided in full for when arrow breaks to get splinters removed from forearm and eye....That really hurts bad too....bowdoc

Offline Longbow rookie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
Hey Naphtali...I'm a new guy as well.  I've been struggling with trying to figure out FOC, fletching combinations, broadhead choice, etc. for my wood hunting arrows.  I hope this thread takes a turn back to your questions.

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Anticipating responses, I've queried a custom laminated hardwood manufacturer about shafting wood manufacture. I did not attempt to tell them their business. Rather, I attempted to tell them results wanted; let them fill in the blanks, I hope. If I asked the wrong questions, please let me know the right ones.
I seek a dimensionally stable, warp resistent, highly impact resistent wood for archery arrow shafting. Presently, wood shafts are made from: hickory, laminated birch, Ipe; Sitka spruce, maple, and other.

My goal is shafting as impact resistent as hickory that is essentially distortion free while being weatherproof. The material must be no more difficult to work than the least workable of the woods I identified previously. Thickness of shaft would be in the range of .325-.350 inch along up to 33-inch length. The rough dimensions I furnished allow shaft to be customized for bows, archers, and intended use.

Please be aware I am not going to do the shaft creation. Rather than try tell you your business, I have tried to give you results wanted. While dowel stock would be easiest for shaft fabrication, panel should be acceptable, albeit more expensive for the fabricatior. If hickory shafts did not warp, this would be my wood of choice -- but it does. So I'm trying to achieve as close to inert version as I can.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 04:12:00 PM »
Hey Naphtali,you may have to search around and locate some old ones.But Bill Sweetland Forgewoods would be the only arrow I can think of that may work for you.Bill would shoot one into a 1/2 board,which was only taperd on the end...no metal tip.Sometimes you will see a few listed on auction....bowdoc

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »
If you want wood, lots of FOC and a 'moderate' bow; say 45-50#. Then, at least in my opinion, you should be striving for a lighter shaft not heavier. Lam Birch and Maple and Hickory with 20% FOC will put you in the 850+ weight range.
I sent some really high quality 11/32 tapered Cedar shafting to be footed with Wenge and Purpleheart to achieve added strength where it counts and more FOC. My goal is a 600-650 grain arrow including a 160 grain Grizzly or STOS broadhead and close to 20% FOC.
I figure this is a really great hog arrow from my 50# bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©