3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a wood Extreme FOC arrow?  (Read 2217 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Is there such a thing as a wood Extreme FOC arrow?
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
wondering what a very high spined tapered sitka with a 160-190 head or bigger would come out as far as foc

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 08:19:00 PM »
I think Bob Morrison is coming out with some real heavy broadheads...read something on his web-site them I think.

Where is Seeley Lake?

I bet you hope for a pass through on the plunger arrow   :biglaugh:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 08:20:00 PM »
Or should I say a "flush through"   :jumper:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 09:53:00 PM »
Why bother with all this? Just keep shooting carbons with high FOC. I love good wood too but to do what ya want is difficult. i have some footed with wenge and 160 grain broadheads nd I still can only get about 16% or so. The aluminum things terry mentions are very light, I have some for the Techno hunt system and they weigh about 14 grains, they make heavier ones but not much. If want penetration out of wood just shoot heavy wood like ipe shafts or purpleheart. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 09:56:00 PM »
I should also note my shafts spine 77#s and I shoot them form a 54# at my draw RER Arroyo. I believe they weigh right at 590-600 grains all set up. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 10:14:00 PM »
Bjorn:  I get 15% FOC with tapered, compressed 11/32 cedars footed with wenge and tipped with 160 grain STOS broadheads.  About 680-690 grains.  I'm working on an internal metal footing that I think will get it up to 20% FOC or more.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 10:24:00 PM »
...drill a hole in the end before you taper for points, and glue in a length of nail shank....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 10:47:00 PM »
By the way, we are still trying to get a trad only season here in Idaho.  Not everyone around, including some trad shooters, thinkis it's a good idea.  I like it.  Oregon has bowhunting only areas.  I'd like to see some trad only areas.  About the time the article you read came out we came up with another idea here in Idaho (I know, I know, that's our quota for the decade!)  Traditional muzzleloader seasons.  Now all muzzleloader seasons are "trad".  

As far as extreme FOC woodies.... I'd stay with a "lighter" shaft and foot it for sure, along with a heavy BH of course.

Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline waterone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
I think that Napthali is trying to get the best penatrating wood arrow that he can, 'cause the TRADTIONAL season requires wood arrows. (Right?)

Napthali, if you are looking for a good penatrating wood arrow, stay with something like ash or hickory, tapered and maybe footed. Some years ago, I used Forgewoods, as I wasn't real crazy about aluminum arrows, but now they are collectors items.  For me carbon is the optimum arrow material.

Napthali, from reading all the postings over the years concerning higher than normal FOC, and using high FOC arrows for the past five years, I suspect that addtional testing will determine that the extreme FOC is less a universal solution or enhancement to the problem. Meaning that, the ability to concentrate the weight distribution where the intitial contact is made with the target, is possible with the specific properties of carbon arrows, but not the other commonly used shafting materials.  This may be seen by watching some of the slow-motion videos of carbon and aluminum arrows hitting targets and seeing the difference in what has been called "noodling" between the two materials. This is the vibration that occurs in the arrow after the hit.  Carbon seems to behave one way, aluminum another, wood another, etc.  Additionally, all carbons are not equal, some are mostly fiberglass, very tough, heavier than other carbons, but tend to be more flexible and have a lesser density.  Very much how woods are different . If you fish, think fishing rods.
The benefit of the high FOC arrow may be more pronounced with carbon arrows than say aluminum or the wood arrows.

Each material has it's strengths and weaknesses, which will become more and more apparent as more trials both informal and formal are performed.

Some years ago, on this boards first years, there was a lot of discussion on front weighted carbons and how remarkably they flew and how "hard" they hit, so for at least this board, it is not exactly a new idea.

If my opinion was asked for, I would suggest that you get a tapered, high quality wood arrow selection for your bow that you would use in the TRADITIONAL season, of moderate weight, spined properly, flying absolutely as good as it could (perfectly tuned arrow), a real sharp low profile broadhead, and put the broadhead where it can perform the best.

Define the criteria, define what the successful outcome is to be and provide yourself with the tools to best achieve that goal, with the limitations of the situation - i.e. wood arrows only.

Oh yeah, get the best carbon arrow that works for your bow and use it all the other times, if you want the highest performance.  There is always the chance the wood arrow is the BEST performer, too.

Chuck

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 11:27:00 AM »
Fatman:  That's essentially what I'm doing.  Using a 3/16 rod instead of a nail for more weight, about 50 grains per inch.  Fun to play with.  Haven't had a chance to test them out yet to see if they hold together when they hit something hard.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 04:46:00 PM »
Terry had the complete answer in the second post back on page 1.

Offline fatman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
Orion, let us know how the test goes.....
"Better to have that thing and not need it, than to need it and not have it"
Woodrow F. Call

Commitment is like bacon & eggs; the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed....

Offline Naphtali

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Seeking Trad Deer:
Where is Seeley Lake?
Missoula County Montana, about 70 miles north-northeast of Missoula. Imagine upstate New York, circa 1758, with a bad attitude, and that's home.
It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©