3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Scrapers  (Read 1026 times)

Offline Path finder

• Trad Bowhunter
Scrapers
« on: February 08, 2007, 10:42:00 PM »
On my first two bows I made, I used the side of the file for a scraper not having anything else to use. It worked ok but it left grooves in the wood which i'd sand down later. This probably isn't the best way of tillering.

What are you guys using? When you use your scraper, can you actually see material being removed or is it so fine that you can't tell.

I tried using a knife once but I couldn't get it to glide consistantly down the length of the limb, but would often skip.

Thanks

Offline poekoelan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Scrapers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 01:00:00 AM »
A lot of people like flat cabinet scrapers. But those cause fatigue in my hands. I have an old junky drawknife with a busted handle that I use as a scraper. I can bear down on the wood a bit and not wear out my hands. I have heard of people using meat cleavers and hatchets with good results too.

And yes, you can see the wood coming off, sometimes like very very small thin strips, other times like very course sanding dust. If you can't see anything coming off, then it isn't coming off. Hope this helps

Offline charlie brown

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 01:51:00 AM »
Path finder
Ask your wife if she has a old pair of Orange handled scissors drill or grind out the pivot pin and you got a scraper or go to wal mart.

Charley Brown

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Also try a metel electrical outlet cover(local hardware store) it works pretty slick and like Poekoelan said you will see a very thin shaving of wood comming off.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 08:29:00 AM »
A really good Sandvik scraper costs maybe $10 with shipping  from Woodcraft.  .  Get that and learn how to use it.  You won't be sorry.  A sharp scraper will pull a curl of wood that is predictable and absolutely beautiful coming from the belly of your bow-to-be.

Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ALW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:21:00 AM »
I made one out of a piece of a circular saw blade that I cut out with a Dremel.  About 2 1/2" wide and I mounted it in a wood handle.  The metal isn't as hard as a good quality cabinet scraper but it's thicker than a regular scraper and I can sharpen both sides of it so when one side gets a little dull and starts chattering, I just flip it over.

Aaron

Offline Path finder

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 09:58:00 AM »
Great replies, thanks guys.

Offline TexMex

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 10:28:00 AM »
Before I got some scrapers I used a piece of broken window glass(straight edge)

Offline Patience

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 01:10:00 PM »
path finder, I do the same as you. I use the edge of my rasp, and then use an old hunting knife to make smooth. I only use my knife when getting close to finishing and will not use the edge of rasp because of the groves it leaves.

Offline huntwisely

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 09:36:00 PM »
AN old skate blade works well, as does an old planer blade

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
I use old handsaws and I cut the blade into smaller pieces using and old metal shear...you can get lots of scrapers from one old handsaw so my students get to take a scraper home after making their bow...  :)

Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Osagetree

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 08:12:00 AM »
I use blades that were designed for floor scrapers. You can get them at lowes for cheap, they last forever and hold an edge without burnishing.
>>--TGMM--> Family of the Bow

Offline KyGal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 02:46:00 PM »
I may be abusing my drawknife but if I want to use it as a scraper I just set it on edge and go to it. I've also used a pocketknife and a hatchet as a scraper. My favorite is one I got from Gary Davis a good while back. It is big enought to wrap your hands around and not as thin as the Sandvik, and he cuts them out of old saw blades.

If you're just taking off dust it is time to sharpen your scraper. Just like with a chain saw you can tell the state of your edge by the cuttings. My 3 year old loves to play with the "twisties" in the shaving pile.

If using a real cabinet scraper they work most efficiently if you bear down enough to cause the blade to flex.

Offline jdupre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 08:29:00 PM »
I use a 12" x 1&1/4" industrial hacksaw blade. I round the ends for getting into dips and hollows and raise a burr on the four long edges. If you use a scraper correctly, you can save a bunch on sandpaper which is getting up around $1.00 per sheet for the good stuff.

Joey

Online Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
I have used a little metal machinest rule.It was about 3/4 " wide by 6" long.It looks like the one that Dean Torges used to show you the pith on the bamboo if you seen the Video.I used it on my Dryad bow blank and really like its performance over my regular scraper.I think you can get one at Aces hardware or about any hardware .It already has a nice sharp hard edge .Good Luck! Keefers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©