3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you ever been attacked...  (Read 1085 times)

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Have you ever been attacked...
« on: March 13, 2008, 01:02:00 PM »
...by a GROUSE?

Yesterday I packed a lunch, grabbed my bow and some blunts,  and headed off to the forest for a hike and stump shoot.  As I was strolling down an abandoned logging road, I heard a large bird fly into the road behind me about 15 yards away.

I saw it was a male Blue Grouse and I paused to observe the bird,  thinking I wish it were open season.  

The bird immediately made purring sounds and began moving cautiously toward me.  Having my camera packed away, I laid down my bow and reached for my camera.  By the time I had my camera ready, the grouse was circling me within arms reach continuing to purr (or "growl").

As I knelt to snap a close-up of the bird, he flew right into my face and I knocked it away with my arm.  I stood up quickly and it continued to circle me and attack my legs and chest several times in the next 3-4 minutes.

Once I even kicked it like a football sending it tumbling head over tail 10 feet away.  But it kept coming and coming and coming.  It probably made 8-10 attacks.  Eventually, it got enough of me and took flight into a nearby tree.

I concluded it was acting this way since breeding season is coming on and he must have thought I was his competition.  

If that silly fool keeps playing around like this, he will likely end up as dinner for some critter.
Lon Scott

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you ever been attacked...
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 01:07:00 PM »
or...you sat on its nest.   :saywhat:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 01:23:00 PM »
I had one bluff charge me while walking a logging road out of a trout stream.  It was about this time of year maybe a little later.  It scared me at first cause it ran at me with its neck blowed up just out of the blue.  I thought it was one of those funky lizards you see on the animal shows with the puffed up necks.  After a minute it took off down the hollow.  I saw other movement and assumed it was babies.  One can't be to carefull.  :scared:
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline nd chickenman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
sounds like homicide would have been justified, lol. My darn roosters do the same thing in the spring. You are right about ending up as dinner, my dogs that will ignore the chickens the rest of the year end up killing a rooster or two in self defense when they start their spring fever.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
No, but I was charged by an armadilo once....seriously.  I laughed so hard I bought passed out.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 01:26:00 PM »
One year on the last week of Turkey season I was walking a logging road out after the Turkeys had won the morning duel and a Turkey hen ran at me popping and purring. She would get to within a few feet and the fly up at me. I backed away and when I got about twenty yards away I could see the quail size poults she was protecting. Needless to say I almost gaffed her in self defence. She was only doing what she was supposed to do,protecting her young.RC

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 01:40:00 PM »
RC,

Getting attacked by a 20 lb. turkey would be a great deal more frightening than an attack from a 2 lb. grouse.   :(  

NO THANKS!   :pray:
Lon Scott

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 01:42:00 PM »
There was an article in last month's Wildlife in N.C. magazine that described a man who has been regularly approached by grouse on his land.  Seems that one particular bird hears him on his 4-wheeler and quite often comes for a visit.  The magazine has several pictures of the grouse sitting on his head, hand, etc..

They just never come around when you're toting a 20-gauge....
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Had the same thing happen while wading in a small stream I was in close to shore and one lunged at me with its neck all blown up and wings flapping like crazy-almost had to go looking for a change of waders! Maybe one of the mods should move this post?

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Attacked by a Grouse - ONCE!      :biglaugh:  

"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 01:51:00 PM »
Oh yeah Lon,I got jumped by a female partage while bear hunting in Que'bec 3 years ago.You get around their nests in spring time.They are ready to brawl.She actuly pecked my boot about 5 times aggressivly..I bet they don't do that to brother yote to offen and get away with it huh?.Pretty cool pics you got there too.bowdoc

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
I got swooped down upon by an Owl a few times while calling Coyotes. I was using rabbit distress calls while sitting on the ground sitting very still. With a little movement I can see how the Owl thought I was a easy meal! He flew down out of nowhere, scared the living crap out of me!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 01:57:00 PM »
Is it mating season?????????  Maybe he liked your plumage.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 02:01:00 PM »
I was attacked by a great horned owl,full size adult,I was pheasant hunting in South Dakota.I was walking through this small woods,where they had a junkyard,I saw a rabbit going from one thing to another,and it was open season with a small game license,I waited for the rabbit  to come out in the open again,and shot it,it was only about 10yds. away from me,I started walking towards it to pick it up,and a course I had pheasant tails sticking out of my vast because I had gotten three pheasant,I got about within 3yds. of the rabbit nnd the great horned owl came out of this tree and flew at me,I thought he was going for my chest he stuck  out his talens (SP),and then he lifted them up to my face,I fell backwards and shot at the same time,I wasn't going to take any chances,I told the conservation officer,and he said it looks like it was a fight over the food,and you had no choice ,he could've taken out your eyes and that's what he was going for.I got to keep one feather from him.

I been nose to nose with a black bear ,but he didn't  attack me,he just thought I smelled like pepperoni and sausage pizza !oops my fault.

now I wish I would have keep all the fathers from him,I don't think it's legal ,and the conservation officer probably would not have allowed it,that bird is probably on display someplace.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
Lon if that pictured grouse is 2 lbs, I guess the 200 lbs deers were only fawns..   :scared:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 02:10:00 PM »
We dont call them Stupid Chickens round here for nothing. Some times they walk right up to you in hunting camp it aint even fair.

Hey Skinner is that a handle or your last name. My family comes from Nova Scotia.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:14:00 PM »
We don't have grouse that I'm aware; but, the same thing happened to me with a javelina once. It came after me and would not go away. Strange behaviour for sure & just too close to shoot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline aplehr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 02:36:00 PM »
i think i recognize that bird. he's a trouble maker.

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
Let me know when your about to lay yer eggs.We'll film it and make millions! LOL Just be thankful the elk rut is long passed.Seriously thogh thats a really cool experience.Lucky you had your camera for that one.Thanks for the pics.

Offline Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 02:42:00 PM »
Handle.  I have my trapping licence as well.

My mom's family (Stewart) are from NS.  Still have relatives down in Prospect, Lwr Sackville and friends in Wolfville and Antigonish.  Nice Country down that way and friendly people.

Skinner.
"Who's shooting the girly bow?" - My wife Vicki's comment to one of my X-bow hunting buddies.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©