3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Have you ever been attacked...  (Read 1084 times)

Offline dan ferguson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Have you ever been attacked...
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Badgers mostly Had one put me in the truck, no weapon, last year I shot one with the bow, bad shot and he didn,t like it, last shot was luck 3 yards coming at me, they have no since of humor. Pulled a bald eagle out of a foot hold trap some rancher put to close to a dead critter just one claw in the trap finally got a heavy coat over and got it pinned down to the ground I thought that bird was going to whip me for awhile.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 03:32:00 PM »
Charlie Lamb was attacked by a bread bag once, and its better than any attack story you'll read about here!!!

:scared:    :scared:      :scared:      :scared:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 03:49:00 PM »
Cool story for sure. Around here ruffed grouse come running to an idling four wheeler this time of year. I guess it sounds like a rival male drumming his wings...
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline sunshine

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 04:06:00 PM »
i was sitting in my tree stand a couple octobers ago and observed a fall "lady bug hatch". a little later a saw a bat fly by me. then 2 bats. then a landed on my foot very briefly. i set a new record for decending 20'.
Life is short.....eat dessert first!!!

Offline DanDaMan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 08:40:00 PM »
Lon, I remember the first time that I discovered what a grouse was.  Growing up my whole life in Louisiana I had never seen or heard one.  When I was first assigned up in Eastern Washington I was awe struck by the mountains.  Did some hiking up there and the first one I ever flushed, well lets just say I thought a lion was trying to crawl up my pants, so my quick thinking I decided to fill them with something smelly and run away.  If those things were as big as they sound, I would pack a gun for protection from them.
Dan
Horne Mountain bow 60in 57@29
Horne Combo Hunter Longbow 64in 59@28
Dryad Orion Longbow  60in 60@28
Hoots 54in 48@28

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
I'd have been eating blue grouse.
DR

Offline Robert Honaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Thank goodness you did'nt get hurt.

Braaaahaaahhaaaa!

Offline DannyBows

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 09:36:00 PM »
I've never been actually attacked by any critters yet, but I did notice an EVIL looking Chipmunk eyeballin' me yesterday while flinging a few arrows down at the far end of the marina. After reading this post I reckon I'll pay him more attention next time. He could have been about to charge me! LOL!!
"Always feel the wind, and walk just like the leaves".  ("LongBow Country"--Chad Slagle, "High, Wild, and Free").

Offline BlkDog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
My guess is he recognized your fletching... could have been an old buddy!  lol

Like RC, I had an experience with a turkey once.  She must have saw me coming and covered up her 8-10 poults.  Once I got within 10 feet of her, it was ON!  When I was in a stare down with a turkey at 10 feet, repeatedly bluff charging me, all I could think was "What the heck is going on!"  Wierd experience for sure.  Didn't know if I should be worried or laugh.

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2008, 10:12:00 PM »
I called my wife a grouse once...ONCE!!!
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2008, 10:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by blueslfb:
Is it mating season?????????  Maybe he liked your plumage.
No thats funny right there!!!  :biglaugh:  
(insert off color remark)

Never been attacked by a grouse before, you managed to get some very good pics though...thanks for sharing

Jake
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Offline Steve Kendrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2008, 10:32:00 PM »
Maybe he thought you smelled...fowl? Sorry. Joke week on Prairie Home Companion last weekend...

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2008, 10:56:00 PM »
Hmmm, it could have been my fletching.  All arrows were orange and yellow...  :saywhat:   :knothead:
Lon Scott

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »
I also had an experience with an owl. I was in my deer stand hunting a creek crossing.I could see down the dry run of the creek when I saw an owl coming down the creek. His wings were wide open and he was gliding.Beautiful I thought until he kept coming.When he almost knocked my bow out of my lap I waved and yelled at him. I`m sure he was after the beaver string silencers on my bow in my lap. I almost wet my drawers.RC

Offline alaskabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »
a year ago Valentine's Day I had a run in with a cow moose I was photographing. This is the last shot I got of her before she was on top on me... I fell in the snow and started kicking... ah the memories...

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 02:39:00 AM »
Owls will fly routes and memorize them; and then they can fly in the dark; and in low light. If you sit on their flight route; you can get run into.. after storms owls often hit downed trees in their path. A persons head is much softer..

I was stalked and attacked by a mountain lion while I was elk hunting. I saw it at 12 yards; and hit it in the mouth at 8 : with a zwickey delta.
 I have no idea why that arrow hit it in the mouth; but it kept it busy for the next arrows.
 long story- sometime I will figure out how to post the pictures.

I have had bears run up my stand tree and lift up my treestand. That is a pucker factor! Small boars will often use a treestand to lay in while the big boars come in to feed at a bait. I have had to shoot smallish boars that tried to kick me out of my treestand.

I just plain run from moose. They are in my mind the most likely to play 'pink between the toes' with you.

A month and half or so ago; I had elk coming into my barn and eating the alfalfa. They started bedding in there; and when I tried to scare them off.. one tried standing up on its back legs and hitting me.
    5 months to pay back.......  :)  

Now spiders... they are the most dangerous; and they are no good pan fried and dipped in ranch dressing like the grouse are!!   :archer:
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

Offline varmint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 06:46:00 AM »
Been attacked by Owls and Redtailed hawks sitting in my tree stand.........luckily they always veered off at the last secong,and some were at the VERY last second.Sometimes I think they notice the whites of my eyes,or some other small part as a  critter they eat(treerat)and at the last second realize they're mistake.............easpecially when that little white dot turns into a 200lb lump with tentacles waiving all over the place to try to dodge a faceful of talons.
Bowhunting......A way of life and death.

Offline Dan Chamberlain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 08:48:00 AM »
First ruffed grouse I ever killed was as a kid walking through the woods with a homemade spear.  The grouse came at me from the brush, wings out, clucking something fierce!  I didn't know she was defending a nest.  I took her home impailed on the spear.  Dad made me pluck it, gut it and cook it.  Then he told me to next time wait for grouse season!

Dan

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
I know a man from SW Wisconsin that has video footage of a ruffed grouse attacking him.  This bird aggressively approached him twice where he parks his truck during Spring turkey season.  The 3rd time, he brought his vid camera.  Before he even got out of the truck the bird landed on the hood and started going crazy on the wind shield.  As he opened the truck door to get out, the bird attacked him.  He went back into the truck and filmed the bird coming into the truck chasing him across the bench seat and out the passenger side door.  The funny part is him laughing so damn hard he can hardly keep the camera on the bird.  He hasn't seen the bird since that, it probably tried attacking a coyote.   :D
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Over&Under

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2008, 03:05:00 PM »
Originally posted by Brian Krebs:

I was stalked and attacked by a mountain lion while I was elk hunting. I saw it at 12 yards; and hit it in the mouth at 8 : with a zwickey delta.
 I have no idea why that arrow hit it in the mouth; but it kept it busy for the next arrows.
 long story- sometime I will figure out how to post the pictures.   :archer:  
You will definatly have to post some pics of that encounter!!!

wheeeewwwwwww....That would be a little unerving to say the least!!
“Elk (add hogs to the list) are not hard to hit....they're just easy to miss"          :)
TGMM

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©