3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Where Has All The Fun Gone?  (Read 1380 times)

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Where Has All The Fun Gone?
« on: March 13, 2008, 03:58:00 PM »
I shoot traditional because it is fun.  I can pick up a bow grab some arrows hit the great out doors at shoot.  It is simple.  My first introduction to bows was a fiberglass deal with a surveyor line for a string and whatever I could scrounge for arrows.  Some how I hit alot.

Now there's alot to worry about: brace height, foc, spine, fletch height, draw weight,  the list goes on and on and on.

Now I'm not saying that for some of you these things arn't fun to figure out and mess with but for some it takes the "fun" out of archery.  For the average guy looking through the pow wow on any given day you would think that your indeep trouble if you don't have all these things mastered.

I recently fell into this trap by reading and taking to heart too much here.  I lost the fun because I was messing with gear instead of just shooting.  I was lucky because I spoke with a few archers that I respect who basicly said don't worry about it just shoot.

I just wanted to post to let all those out there who like me are/ were drowning in the gear talk about what is right to not worry about it and just have fun shooting.  The reality is alot of animals have been taken using most setups out there.

Mitch
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Where Has All The Fun Gone?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:20:00 PM »
I like to be sure my bow is set up correctly so I can shoot well and have fun, and not get hurt.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 04:23:00 PM »
Well said Mitch!!  I to almost got caught up in all of the "technical stuff".  One day it hit me...I just want to find arrows that fly good and go shoot!!  I find it is fun for me to sit here an read some of the threads to see what other people are doing and what they are finding.  This is just my $.02 and like you said some guys I am sure enjoy doing all the other things.  That is what makes this all fun!!
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 04:24:00 PM »
I probably need to spend more time tuning.  But heck i just like flinging arrows.
Jason Lester

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:30:00 PM »
Maybe we are all guilty of (compounding) issues when it comes to trad archery. Most of the "poor shots" I see on the range just need a little help with their set up and then it's... FUN, FUN, FUN!!!

It is a simple way to shoot, as you say. Having a good time goes with getting better. Alot of us, myself included learned the hard way. Maybe some archers are tryin' to learn everything too fast. That will take the fun out of anything.

... mike ...  :archer:  ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline rybohunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 04:38:00 PM »
I agree. All I heard was trad shooting is so simple. Yea right. Just look at these boards and see how technical things get.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 04:45:00 PM »
You can always take those threads with a grain of salt and keep on shooting like always.It works pretty good and keeps the head clear.  ;)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline rascal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
Unfortunately what you are saying is all too true and most likely a product of the technically advanced society we live in today.  I mean lets face it we are here discussing "traditional archery" in an internet message board, a virtual campfire.  Not to mention a lot of the guys here have come back from compounds like myself and there is always something to tinker with on those set ups.

If you want to keep things simple and thats what you find fun then by all means I say keep it simple.  I came back from compounds to get away from all the tech stuff and all the silly little adjustments myself.  Others have as much fun tweaking and adjusting as they do shooting and again if thats what does it for ya I say go for it.

Bottom line is there is an abundance of great information here on these boards that we may choose to put to use... or not.  I say as long as your set up is capable of quick and humane kills and you are happy with it theres no need to get wrapped up in the technical stuff unless thats what makes you happy.
Hunt fair, hunt hard, no regrets.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 04:50:00 PM »
"Now there's alot to worry about: brace height, foc, spine, fletch height, draw weight, the list goes on and on and on."

Whats to worry about, tune the bow and shoot it.

Eric

Offline Blake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
I think is important to have your equipment set up correctly but after doing that once you should not have to worry about it again for quite some time.  When I first get a new bow I get it all set up so that arrows fry the way that I want them to then I shoot.  If arrows start flying funny I look to find what is wrong, fix it and then shoot.  Some of my bows have not been "tuned" for years.  Every once in a while I make a fist with my thumb sticking out to check brace height in case the string stretched but that is about it.

I agree, this is suppose to be fun.  Just enjoy!

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 05:13:00 PM »
You search out the posts on here that indicates "FUN"-trips to BC for goats,elk hunting trips,etc... I scan over the posts and if they're debating all the different baloney I could read over on the compound or crossbow forums--I move on to FUN stuff. I got my shooting equipment lined out years ago and I see no reason to fret or stew or debate all that with anyone. LET THE FUN BEGIN!!

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 05:20:00 PM »
AH Yes the good olden days. When ya bought 100 ceder shafts sorted them by shootin them, The "FLYERS" were set aside for rabbits and such. Ya hot glued some ole green Bears on the front of ye shooters. How many grains ?....enough.

Somethings never change Brace, knocking point and such. Some things will always be evolving for some I guess. But one thing for this gay ole guy will always be consistent. FUN. And I am darn sure set in these old ways.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
Every once in a while I will be shooting poorly and get myself all worked up. I have to have a little talk with my self about how I'm just a big kid playing in the back yard. I make myself relax and smile... normally I start shooting better

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 05:59:00 PM »
AMEN
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Stripstrike1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
AMEN
"I wish someone would have introduced me to this sport 20 years ago."

Offline Focusource

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 06:00:00 PM »
My carbons are set up with the findings of Dr. Ed.  My cedars are set up with the wisdom of Ishi.  They both make me happy.  Many times when practicing, I will stand still, close my eyes and listen to wind in the trees.  Good times.
TradTech Pinnacle II riser, 50# BlackMax limbs

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 06:10:00 PM »
Is one bit of advice that I have picked up on here, guys were saying how long the string or bow, once I get it set up I don't know string it, it stays set, and then you just have to worry about the fun, I hassle over the arrow that I will shoot simply because I want to know if I'm making mistakes, or if they're the mistakes of unbalanced equipment, but once you get it down, you're good to go.

If you get everything set, it constitutes consistency   :clapper:  

And I like that !

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline tjjsidekick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 06:19:00 PM »
I'll respectfully disagree. When I first started shooting a couple of years ago, I was picking aluminum arrow sizes based on the Easton charts and was way overspined. I had to to point the arrow a foot to the right to be remotely on target. By having the technical stuff correct, there was one less peice of the puzzle that needed to be solved in the journey of shooting accurately. The biggest enjoyment of shooting, for me and probably a lot others, is watching an arrow fly true and to the mark.

Is it spring yet???

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 06:20:00 PM »
Gear Cheer is nice....but I'd sure like to see more chat about hunting, hunting tips, woodsmanship, scouting/hunting methods from different regions, hunting camp tips, set up scenarios....etc...

One thing I also noticed....since the TX Sweat and Jig and Pig...there haven't been any group hunts to follow along....anyone going on a big hunt soon?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Three Arrows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
We definitely have more sources of information and advice now due to the internet.  It was not too long ago we were in the dark as far as some technical issues were concerned.  Now all you have to do is post or read a post.  If you were shooting with one person, I am sure you will take some of their advice.  Now, you have thousands in TradGang for advice.  Take your pick, but YOU pick.  Remember Fred Asbel's article in TBM on short bows and how many posts were a result?  How many went to short bows?  Know how many bows Rod Jenkins sold for ACS due to Masters of the Barebow?  I for one, think it is more fun than ever with so many people and the resulting accumulated knowledge.  My father said: If you took advice it's because you needed it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©