3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunting ridges and how deer use them.  (Read 637 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunting ridges and how deer use them.
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:16:00 PM »
When scouting ridges, have you found that deer prefer a ridge running in a certain direction? North/South, East/West?  Or do you find they use a ridge depending on wind direction?  I have noticed in my travels that bucks are more active at one end of a ridge over the other end, ie. rubs etc.. I have also found that the sunny side of the ridge is used more in the evening and the shady side is used more during the day, or morning. I'm not saying this is standard, only what I have begun to observe. I would like to hear what others have observed, what you look for and may be even why you think they do what they do.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunting ridges and how deer use them.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
I rarely hunt the top of a ridge, but I love to hunt fingers that trail off of the top of a ridge.  I try to find a place where the finger changes the way it drops in elevation.  Sometimes it is what you would consider a saddle and sometimes it is just a place where the ridge drops off sharper than the normal slope.  Wherever this happens you usually find game trails that run across or perpendicular to the finger.  Usually, this equals a hotspot.  If you can find this scenario stretching out towards a neighboring creek bottom, go home and get the cooler filled with ice.  You are going to need it.
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline BigRonHuntAlot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
When I am scouting/Hunting I tend to look at the direction  of the tracks per time of day and known travel routes to dictate stand placement. Also Hunt All times available even if only for a half hour.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->

The Moon Gave Us The Bow, The Sun Gave Us The Arrow

Walk Softly and Carry a Big Stick

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 05:14:00 AM »
Gregg, I like those spots too. I have had a lot of action on spots like that.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
Finger ridges that ease up into a saddle are some of my favorite places to hunt.  Especially in mature hardwoods (shedding oaks preferably) between feed and bedding.

Main ridges, I prefer to find a bench somewhere above the halfway point.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
Good info....

I'll ad that although there may be a MAIN trail along the top...these are primarily used at night...and the day trails or off the side of the top on bothe sides...now far down usually depends on the topography.

I have seen many times where deer will CROSS a main ridge at either a low spot, or terrain change.

Also, if you have a terrain change on top running WITH the direction (like a thicket from a clear cut)  This can be a GREAT spot as animals will run just inside the thicket....if there's not a bonified  area where you can shoot into the thicket, then prune out a litte...but not too much.  Look for the trails inside the thicket for splits, connections, and lead outs that cross over.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline chuck172

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:30:00 AM »
I hunt ridges. I prefer the southern side of a mt. It seems like the bucks love to bed down on the South  [sunny and warm}side, on the edge where they can see all over. When spooked out of their bed, they can move down a mt. fast. Jump boulders that would amaze you.

Offline Arwin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
I second the south facing slope for morning till noon. I also like setting up in funnels at the bottom of a ridge in the evening when the thermals go downhill. Sometimes a buck will use this as a staging area to intercept doe coming down for the evening.
Just one more step please!

Some dude with a stick and string chasing things.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
The best ridge you will ever find has a bedding area on both ends!!!!!  During the rut that is.  Once it is done or before you need one w/ acorns on it or w/ a field on one end.   Regardless of direction it runs.  If deer followed their nose always all the KS deer would be in Texas come deer season.

If your in hill country the common ridge becomes harder to read.  If your in a flat area w/ only one it is much easier to understand how the deer use them.  I believe you are right on the shady side being better, especially in the early season.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
My ridge experience for deer use location is more dependant on the cover however it is laid out on the ridges.  Not so much the top, side or bottom.  But where the cover is along with the food source.  The ridge just happens to be there in my opinion.  But then how severe of a ridge are we talking here?

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 12:32:00 AM »
Ridges come in many sizes and shapes.  When a ridge is a small hight change in a marshy or swampy area, I believe it can be a great funnel.

If the ridge is a knife point, more or less, it may be traveled but as above, maybe mainly at dark hours.  If the ridge is a broad top with heavy nut crop and mast on the ground, the whole thing may be used any time of day.

In the summer, I am assuming the shaded side, just below the top is a good bedding area as it is cooler and allows the best protection (sight, smell, non-ease of approach) while in the winter the sunny slope is much preferred as a bedding site.   Well, at least up north here.

Ridges can be weird because of wind patterns and eddies.

Animals are, however  like us.  We TEND to walk on the sidewalk between points A and B.  Some will walk on the grass, but most do not.  If there is a terrain feature that steers them, it TENDS to be the place they will go.

I used to look at a map of farms in Illinois, river bottom country up arouns Peoria and north and be able to show you where main trails will be.  

Just look at the ridges, see where the "fingers" come off the ridges and follow them down.  If you can find a place where several "fingers" from several ridges sort of come together, or provide a "connection" of sorts between the ridges, it is almost guaranteed that there will be a well used trail on each.  Watch that wind !

ChuckC

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Those ridges never give up all their secrets at one time. After years of hunting productive areas, there is always something new to learn.

I also agree with ChuckC on the wind and how it reacts when it hits the sides of those ridges. Funky wind currents leave me shaking my head sometimes.

One thing for sure, when you find a ridge with big buck sign, it will almost always contain big buck sign.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »
I live in an area made up of ridges.  The patterns can change radically from month to month as the seasonal winds, etc., change.  However, there are pockets that stay pretty much the same year around.  Right now is the time to be scouting to look for last year's patterns.  At least up here in the Northeast.  There is no foliage yet and the land can tell you lots of stories.  

Thursday morning I found a rub line right on the top of a ridge.  It was coming down the ridge to the valley so was probably a late evening trail.

Offline SteveMcD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
"Those ridges never give up all their secrets at one time."

How true! Ridges and deer pattens need to be studied and observed over time. The seasons, the years and available mast crop. Coolness in hot weather and warmth in winter. Deer are like us in a way, they will travel paths of least resistance, funnels and saddles, especially saddles connecting two ridges together. As always prevailing winds are important. And so are Thermal currents, deer use these thermals to their advantage to identfy scents rising from below in the morning and descending in the evening.
Someday you and I will take the Great Hart by our own skill alone, and with an arrow. And then the Little Gods of the Woods will chuckle and rub their hands and say, "Look, Brothers. An Archer! The Old Times are not altogether gone!"

Offline Dick4bows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
I ownn land south of Peoria Ill. My land has a valley 100ft deep and 200 yards across.  It is one of the most difficult pieces of land to hunt effectively.  Lots of ridges and 2 creeks in the bottom.  I have found the deer will have a trail 1/3 of the way from the top.  They will use the fingers as others have stated.  The main problem is the wind!  Ridges make the light winds swirl.  I stay on the tops and hunt between the food plots and bedding areas as usual.  In a stronger directional wind, I hunt the fingers.  In a heavy wind, I hunt the bottoms.  I have found that this system is not without flaws!  The deer on my property will travel up and down the most steep slopes on the property.  Heavy cover does make a difference.  Last year I cut trails through the bottom thick areas.  The deer have started using those trails. Trails through heavy cover will dictate where the deer will be on the ridges.  Providing the trail leads where they want to go!  Dick

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Appreciating all the in put gang. I have been hunting quite a few years my self , and agree with most all that has been said. I find that putting out questions like these stir up some things that I may never have thought of or noticed before. Also, I saw some one mention that they would like to see more threads about hunting tactics etc.. I hunt up on the Appalachian mountains and have lots of  terrain characteristics to work with. Yes these topographical changes make the wind do some crazy stuff. I hunt the fingers and ridges, slopes, swamps, oak flats...  Some times I look at small detail, like how a finger comes off a ridge. I also hunt bigger features, like slopes that join two mountain tops. I love the big woods and the opportunities seem endless. My hunting partner and I have been talking about how we need to tighten up our hunting spots lately. We have been used to the deer doing the usual things, and this past year, that didn't work for us. We hunt the ground and have been finding that even moving 50 yards over or less can make a huge difference in what you see. Keep it coming. Enjoying the info.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Great Thread Jerry.I'm glad you thought of it.

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
There is a book that I heard is great for information on hunting terrain with ridges, bowls, etc.... but I can't remember the name of it. It was reccomended to me and I would like to get my hands on it, it's something about Mapping whitetails or something. I have always lived in and hunted in flat, farming terrain here in mid-Michigan.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 2-BIG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 08:10:00 PM »
I just found the book online. It's called "Mapping Trophy Whitetails".
Author Brad Herndon teaches you how to use topographical maps and wind direction to pinpoint deer travel routes and to place your stands.
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jacobm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 08:33:00 PM »
You won't be disappointed with Mr. Herdon's book.  I hunt the same general are he does and found it useful.  Just like any other book, you have to sort through what is applicable to your situation.  He does provide good food for thought.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©