3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Deer: Mid/High Lung or Low Lung/Heart Shot Placement  (Read 736 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Deer: Mid/High Lung or Low Lung/Heart Shot Placement
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2008, 12:58:00 PM »
Here are some anatomy pics.  The one "in the shoulder" was shot off the ground and dropped in its tracks.  After the autopsy you will see it is dead on the spine.  

The other carcass with masking tape and measurements is the actual anatomy of a 220# FIELD dressed buck.  The top dark line is the actual location of the spine.  Directly at the shoulder- anything above half down will go OVER the spine.  The spine then sweeps back up.  I think there are many so called "high lung" hits from tree stands that are never recovered- because they are not lung but over the spine.

If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 01:00:00 PM »

Here is the other with measurements I was speaking about above.  Note the line of the spine.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Depends on which way you think the deer will run when shot.  If you think he will run towards the vehicle, then shoot him in the heart!  :)   I've always worried that a high lung shot deer has a chance of getting away from me.  I don't worry about those shot lower.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline SteveB

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
KSDan - Great pics!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2008, 01:28:00 PM »
The only thing that I should have added. . . in the last pic- the "elbow" and shoulder sagged forward in the actual photo setting.  In real life structure, the elbow would be/was just under the lower left hand corner of the "vital" area, where you see the blood shot mark from the arrow entrance.  

This is the buck by the way. . .

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2008, 03:18:00 PM »
Thanks for the pics Dan pretty interesting   :thumbsup:
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Curtis Haden

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2008, 05:37:00 PM »
Some good points and illustrations above, and I appreciate everyone's input.  Just to clarify, I was not and am not now trying to convince anyone of anything.  "High" and "low" are pretty relative when considering the size of a deer's heart/lung area.  I don't have too many worries about my ability to track a double-lunged deer, regardless of the height of the shot.  Having said that, after due consideration, I will continue to aim mid-low, more for the "reflex" factor than anything!

It is beneficial to discuss such things, IMO, for the sake of both the posters and readers.

Thanks!     :thumbsup:
Rose Oak Ace 41@28
Super Shrew Gold 42@28
Black Widow PCH-X 40@28
Toelke Pika 43@28
_ _ _

A subtle play on words is better than a poke in the eye.

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
a heart shot deer is still breathing. A double lung shot deer is getting no oxygen to the brain- that deer will die faster..unequivocally, without argument faster.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2008, 07:10:00 PM »
I disagree with Ray.  It is relatively impossible to hit the heart without taking out a portion of both lungs.  Also when shot in the heart the blood doesn't lungs to become aerated to deliver oxygen to the brain..

Dr. Patrick Kelly  MD

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2008, 07:11:00 PM »
should read "doesn't reach the lungs"

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
I shot a doe through the middle of the heart.  She ran no more than 40 yds.  There was almost no blood trail, the heart had stopped beating.  I aim mid body tight to the shoulder. I'll take a doubble lung over a heart shot any day.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2008, 07:35:00 PM »
pdk, I've heart shot several deer inadvertantly and did not touch lungs.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2008, 07:36:00 PM »
If I was good enuf in a hunting situation to place an arrow precisely where I wanted to, I would go thru the big vessels/arteries just above the heart, which would also take out both lungs in the process.  I think having the heart intact and pumping helps with a good blood trail and fast bleed out.  In the few times I've been lucky enuf to get this hit, it has produced the shortest and heaviest trails of all.  When I can follow the trail from the tree, I figure it's pretty good.  

A sharp broadhead thru both lungs and any critter is down.  Seems to me that the closer to the center of the lungs that broadhead goes, the quicker the critter goes down.

I also agree with those that feel most 3-D targets are marked too far back.  That's one reason I rarely shoot for score.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
You've been unlucky Ray.  Irrespective of that, if blood doesn't reach the lungs it will never become oxygenated and therefore be unable to reach the brain in an oxygenated state.  There are some large blood vessel, such as the main pulmonary arteries, superior vena cava, and others that can cause massive blood loss, but if these vessels aren't hit a deer with a comparable hit in the heart will almost certainly expire more quickly.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2008, 07:43:00 PM »
I like a Double Lung hit a bit lower and trying to keep the heart still pumping the blood to get a better blood trail! With blood coming out both side of the deer!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline pseman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
I think we may be starting to split hairs here. I really don't think that the time it takes for a deer to go down after a heart, double-lung, or heart and lung shot is going to be much different. Every one of those shots will lead to a quick death and a short blood trail. The difference is negligible.
Mark Thornton

It doesn't matter how or what you shoot, as long as you hit your target.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 14, 2008, 07:57:00 PM »
I agree with you pseman.  I felt compelled to comment when I felt incorrect information was presented.  Double lung or heart equals dead.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
Gotta laugh. . . the difference in these shots are inches, and we are trad guys!!  I am not sure any of us are that good in calling a shot!!   :bigsmyl:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©