INFO: Trad Archery for Bowhunters

Author Topic: British Columbia Mountain Goat Adventure full picture link added  (Read 8281 times)

Offline battman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: British Columbia Mountain Goat Adventure full picture link added
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Wow what a beautiful place.Congrats on the goat.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2012, 11:30:00 PM »
me on top left goat on bottom right of photo, just before the shot.

Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2012, 04:53:00 AM »
Well done!  Few places in the world are more beautiful than goat country when the sun is shining.   :thumbsup:

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2012, 10:05:00 AM »
wow!!
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline rushlush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2012, 02:46:00 PM »
Congrats!

Offline Shortlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2012, 02:55:00 PM »
High adventure right there folks. Congratulations!
Ask me about the Professional Bowhunters Society.
Bobby Parrott

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2012, 03:26:00 PM »
Well, I have some time, so here is the story early!

I flew out on the 3rd, and arrived in Terrace B.C., got off the airplane and went to get my tags.  My friend got a permit to accompany me earlier in the summer and had arranged a couple locations to possibly hunt.  You can not hunt for 48 hours after buying your tags in BC so we kept ourselves busy salmon fishing and visiting.  We hiked up our first mountain (thatI had been up in the past)and hunted for two days, goat were scarce and grizzly sign was not.  Earlier in the summer a grizzly was seen chasing goats on this mountain.  We did find several goats but they were more than safe from hunters as they were all set up to live on and not come off the steep crags in the area.  We came down from the mountain and took several days to recover from the hike, the vegetation was so thick and high on our route up  and down that for about 11/2 hours of the hike was pushing through the heavy vegetation and trying to climb at the same time (not fun). While taking time to recover, we were treated again to some great salmon fishing.  The next mountain was one neither of us had been up before.  The hike was uneventful until we poked our heads out of the treeline and found we were only 25 yards from a grizzly feeding on grass. We both responded (pepper spray). He ran the right way! (then we both responded cameras). In about another 200-300 yards of hiking past the first bear we saw yet another grizzly, this one being a real bruser but was over 300 yards away digging for pikas and napping.  We sat and watchrd this grizzly for awhile and enjoyed the mountain vistas (but also discovered I forgot my bow glove down the mountain). As we hiked the platue, none of the ground looked to be goat country, we kept hiking to the next rise expecting the terrain to change, but it didn't. We stopped for a break and decided to head down, but there was one more last craggy rise to check out.  On the hike over to the crag goat sign started to appear; tracks, scat, hair, diggings, etc. As we got to the crag I started down into a river gorge to see what I could see and my friend stayed on the top. As I got to a shelf I looked up to see my friend signal he spotted a goat.  Back up I went to meet up with him.  We prepared for the stock and started in on the location. At about 30 yards we could see there were 3 then 5 goats not one. We both attempted shots at the spooked goats but did not connect, we both shot and hit a rock (clump of shale) in front of the goat and them I over compensated over its back but both in good alignment.  The goats dispersed and one started to make its way up the crag and back toward us. I picked up and moved to the top of the crag and inched over the edge.  20 yards facing away, as I stepped forward and came to full draw the goat turn broadside to look at me.  The arrow went loose and struck him behind the rib cage angling forward (a little far back) before he even stepped blood was poring out, I gave the thumbs up but with a little hesitation.  The goat was down in 50 yards or less luckily coming to rest on a shale bench just before no mans land.

We de-boned, caped and hiked it out. (A good liver shot).  As I made it to the truck I was done, physical and mentally, emotionally.

I Shot this goat with my Chek-mate hunter recurve and bare fingers, I now sit and ponder how many people in the world have killed a Rocky Mountain Goat with a recurve?  

Oh yeah, for you guys that are interested I have not laid a tape on this goat, other than to determine he has 9 inch horns.

What a week (10 days).  This experience will be with me as are my previous 3 goat hunting trips.
I owe my friend TD Hunter(Allan) a lifetime of thanks and memories, and the experience would have not have been the same with anyone else.

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Online D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2012, 04:59:00 PM »
Congats!!

Offline Anointed Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2012, 06:18:00 PM »
Beautiful on all accounts!
For God was in Christ, reconciling the world to himself, no longer counting people’s sins against them. And he gave us this wonderful message of reconciliation.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2012, 09:46:00 PM »
Incredible!!!!!!   :notworthy:    :campfire:    :archer:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
:notworthy:   A dream hunt for sure!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline TDHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »
Indeed this was Tim's year. As he said four years of chasing and this time all the stars lined up. No matter where you gents are from- even if it's not for Rocky Mt. Goats- make an effort to do some high Mt. Hunting. It is an absolute mental and physical test, but the views alone are worth every second of pain.

Every year of the four has been fantastic for different reasons, but this year really topped them all. We had great weather, caught Chinook Salmon, Sockeye Salmon and killed a stomper goat with traditional gear...................does it get any better!!!

and a few more pics. I'm heading back up after the other bruiser in the first picture, and the second pic is of our downtime.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2012, 01:42:00 PM »
Congrats on an awesome adventure!   :thumbsup:

Offline Plumber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 06:23:00 PM »
great job I know that was no easy hunt.from what I have read goats are hard to hunt no matter what you use.but a stick bow is simpley over the top.thats one hunt you will never forget.way to go,ED

Offline stujay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 12:41:00 AM »
Some of the best pics I've seen. Great weather, pics, story and nice goat...great salmon also. Truly a hunt of a lifetime! Congrats!!!

Offline ozzyshane

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 07:06:00 AM »
great going guys a true mt adventure Thnaks Shane

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 08:57:00 PM »
NOW THAT I'M HOME AND MOST OF THE PAIN HAS LEFT MY BODY, I ALREADY WANT TO GET UP THERE AND GO AGAIN. MAN I LOVE THAT HIGH COUNTRY.

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 10:35:00 PM »
Congratulations! Great story! I first bow hunted Mt goats near Terrace BC in 05. One of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Being in goat country gets in your blood so I can see why you need to keep going back.

Jack Shanks

Offline NormanDale33

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: August 20, 2012, 12:10:00 PM »
BC sure is an amazing place. Love going up there to visit, beautiful country.
Show me your ways, LORD,teach me your paths. Guide me in your truth and teach me,for you are God my Savior,and my hope is in you all day long.

Psalms 25:4-5

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©