3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Pass throughs  (Read 637 times)

Offline TroutKing

• Trad Bowhunter
Pass throughs
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:18:00 AM »
So I have a question for all you veteran traditionalists. I have recently got into trad archery, and I have not taken a big game animal yet with my longbow. My question is, "Will I get a complete pass through with my bow?" and if not, "will my recovery be tougher?" I have two bows I can use for hunting. One is a Martin Savannah that is 40 lbs, and the other is a Bob Lee that is 45 lbs. I have been a compound shooter for so long, I guess I am brainwashed to think I need a compound to get a pass through. What are your experiences? Thanks guys and gals.

TK

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Pass throughs
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:27:00 AM »
Just go have a look in all the Highlights forums.....you'll see plenty of big game kills.

And yes, you can expect pass throughs on deer.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:29:00 AM »
At 10, 20, possibly 30 yd. you will get pass-throughs, shot place that will be important, most important will be the Broadhead you are using.  I shoot the same poundage range, and I use stinger two blade with bleeders, I use a arrow designed for high penetrating, Axis 500.

If you hit bone or rib, you're not going to get a pass through.  But the damage that the arrow does by staying in there, will cut your chances of having to do a long tracking.  Most of the time, the deer are within 10 to 20 yd., this year I only had one shot, and I turned it down, it was at 38 yd.

You'll find there will be a lot of others that will post in, and you'll find that a lot of them will get passthroughs.

Carl
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:32:00 AM »
TK... the answer to your question is a qualified yes. You will get pass through performance from those recurves.

As with any bow, shot placement will come into play.

Also careful broadhead selection is very important.

While pass through (completely out of the wound channel) penetration helps bloodtrail quality, it's just one factor in the equation.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:42:00 AM »
Lots of people here get passthrus; personally I have never had one, and always go for a double lung shot.
If it is in the right place it won't matter-passthru or not.

Offline bloodyarrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
Yes expect pass throughs with the right BH and shot placment. heck I even got a pass through on a cow elk at 30 yds. with a Thunderhead 125 2315 arrow 66# recurve, double lung.
Hunting The Way of My Ancestors
(The Traditional Way)

Eddie

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 10:48:00 AM »
Rather then pass-through I look for an exit wound.

Doesn't matter if the arrow leaves the animal.  I do like to have that exit wound for blood trialing though.  

You should get an exit wound with your setup with the right arrow and BH. . .like Charlie said.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »
Bjorn....interesting. Double lung is the prefered shot, and one I also always prefer,...but I've had many more pass throughs than not.  The only time I don't if when I get the off leg or shoulder, or the animal is in serious spin mode at impact.  

Can you tell my what your set up is that you have never gotten a pass through with?

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

Offline SouthMDShooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:46:00 AM »
SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT.

this is the number one most important thing.

if you can put an arrow with the lungs/ heart with that you will have a dead animal.

Also with a low poundage bow your going to want the optimal performance out of your arrow so get them perfectly tuned
"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I --
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference."
- Robert Frost

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
Originally posted by SouthMDShooter:
SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT.

this is the number one most important thing.

It is ONLY if you get enough penetration.  If you hit a boar hog in just the right spot, but only penetrait 3 inches instead of passing through, you may or may not get the animal....especially if the 1st inch and a half is just getting through the shield.  That's just one example...another is animal movement robbing you of penetration....you can still hit them in the exact perfect spot, and they can roll with the shot and you may not get enough penetration.

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
Arrow flight...Is VERY important. I went for years not knowing anything about tuneing at all, I was shootin a 65lb recurve and almost never had a pass through, I was shootin way to weak of a arrow, I was killin critters, just never or rarely got a complete pass throug. Now after learning how important perfect arrow flight is and using reasonable weight arrows with good heads, I rarely do not get a pass through, you will have better blood with a low exit, if you are shooting from a tree stand, as you know from your wheel days. A exit wound is very desireable for tracking reasons, but the same vitals are usuall hit if the arrow does not get through the far side completly.
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by TroutKing:
So I have a question for all you veteran traditionalists. I have recently got into trad archery, and I have not taken a big game animal yet with my longbow. My question is, "Will I get a complete pass through with my bow?" and if not, "will my recovery be tougher?" I have two bows I can use for hunting. One is a Martin Savannah that is 40 lbs, and the other is a Bob Lee that is 45 lbs. I have been a compound shooter for so long, I guess I am brainwashed to think I need a compound to get a pass through. What are your experiences? Thanks guys and gals.

TK
With proper tuning, shot placement and arrow selection, there's absolutely no reason you shouldn't be able to smash through whitetail ribs coming and going with either of those bows.

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Mike,

"Doesn't matter if the arrow leaves the animal."

My results are different.

I have had enough experience to know that if I come upon my arrow that didn't pass through I can fully expect the blood trail to taper down and quite possibly quit all together.  It's not something I want to see.

Keep in mind that if I am lucky I take one elk a year, lots of guys take five plus animals a year so I could sure be wrong.

Your mileage may vary:)

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline TroutKing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
Thanks a million guys. I had no idea that arrow flight and weight had more impact than speed. I guess that comes from my compound days. I knew that those components were vital, but I thought they were vital for accuracy, not penetration.

TK

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2008, 02:17:00 PM »
If you get the arrow into the lungs, it doesn't matter if you get an exit wound.  The deer is still dead.  Learn to track.  Rapidly moving deer leave good trails.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2008, 04:27:00 PM »
My first Trad Kill after coming back was with a 53# Mahaska Recurve. A 28" 2016 Aluminum arrow with a 145 gn Bear  head at 28 paces. The arrow hit the doe in the heart,passed threw, and stuck in the ground.I didn't realize it was that far a shot. I hit her square  in the crease. She barely ran 40 yards.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2008, 08:45:00 PM »
I get lots of pass-thrus with my set-ups. Good arrow flight and sharp heads help a lot and of course shot placement.  I myself for some reason like to shoot them a bit forward(Whitetails)and shoulder shoot them quite often but still get an off side exit a lot of times and if I do that there is no need for a blood trail as I am sure I have gotten both lungs. I have also gotten poor penetration on shoulder shots as well, but most times I have no problems. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2008, 10:50:00 PM »
Thanks for the email Bjorn.   :thumbsup:

Offline Hoytman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 01:01:00 PM »
Originally posted by LKH:
If you get the arrow into the lungs, it doesn't matter if you get an exit wound.  The deer is still dead.  Learn to track.  Rapidly moving deer leave good trails.
I disagree.
 I think one of your main goals should be an exit wound. If you shoot a deer, which I have, that is accompanied by several other animals, tracking by tracks alone can be very confusing. Also in the case of an animal that is in marshy or wet areas, it can be impossible to track on tracks alone. Blood leaking from an exit wound left on vegatation can be the difference between a recovery and a lost animal.

That's just my personal opinion.
" without humor, nothing would seem funny."

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 01:25:00 PM »
Two leaking wounds are always better than one.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©