3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Roughing It  (Read 689 times)

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Roughing It
« on: March 14, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »
Just wondering if any has ever just took your favorite bow and headed out in big country with a weeks worth of supplies and roughed it. Would love to hear some thoughts! i always wanted to do it.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roughing It
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
Richard....  for me..roughing it includes my pillow and blankie...

I too would like to hear about some of these exploits.  Anyone camping with just a tarp as a lean-to ?  any guidance ?
ChuckC

Offline shootssmallbulls

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:18:00 AM »
whats your definition of roughing it?

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:57:00 AM »
I did that first week of this year, high summer in the mountains and bushveld of the Waterberge. My friend and I called it a 'survival hunt' for want of a name to explain our hare-brained idea, it was more like an exploration. Well, torrential rain, a vehicle breakdown, my mate getting flattened by a bushpig, very little sleep and fabulous days hiking, hunting and climbing mountains and nights out made it one of the best things I've done for myself in years. Never knew if I was hungry or tired, we were too busy having fun.
The 'survival' was not in the form or fashion we might have imagined and that in itself made it just perfect! We dried out, fixed the truck, lost weight and my mate is fine. If you have thought of it, why are you still here? Get out and do it man! You will learn plenty and have a hoot.
chrisg

p.s. Robert Ruark's classic 'Old Man and the Boy' has tales about camping, hunting and fishing trips with the his grandfather that will make you get started! And you don't have to go to Alaska or Africa to do it, keep it simple and cheap.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:00:00 AM »
A friend's brother left the house and did it for 2 years.

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
oh yes my kit list, one man tarp, light blanket, zip-off longs, t shirt, plain shirt, old wool sweater, rainjacket, hat, boots, slops. Small hunting pack with standard gear, couple cans of beans, ramin noodles, pap,coffee, biltong, apples, raisins, nuts, small gas cooker, candles, flashlight.

We had the luxury of a base camp and our vehicles but only for mega problems, we didn't have any.

Most important is don't go with a huge 'to do list' you will have a crappy time. Just get out there.
chrisg

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:21:00 AM »
When I was younger I did a lot of canoe camping solo and with friends.I went with bows and sometimes guns and some of the best time of my life fun campinf beautiful woods and really felt alive miss it now but areas I went are not open to public now.Kip

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
Among other reasons to be out there, that has been my preferred method of hunting moose for many years now. I started when I was in my teens.

I used to tell my family and friends that it was the best way to get to know yourself, it still is.

It was common practice among the Cree here before but since it is not necessary for survival now, less do it.

In case someone is wondering about how I would get a moose out of the bush, make sure it's a cold day when you kill it and have a plan that involves friends to share the meat with.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
used to do it a lot. mostly in the national parks here in the UK, often take my bow and stump shoot around camp. Love going to new places and trying to new methods of fire lighting and shelter building. After a while you really get to know what you use and dont really need and you can start taking less gear.
its good to go with like minded friends or by yourself.

you learn a lot about yourself after spending a few days in the middle of know where expesialy when things get tough.
 You have a lot of time to think about things and you realize how much you take for granted. Every simple amenity you take for granted at home requires work, preparation and time when your out in the bush.

i did a bit of hiking over in Australia with a small pack and just slept under the stars ( with a mozzy net) people thought i was crazy.

i love beein out in the middle of know where no people, no lights just you and the wild.

This year when we are back in South Africa we have planned a 3 day survival hunt with our bows shooting and trapping for food in the mountains and valleys of a local farmers land he says he does not know of anyone thats been through there in many years. No roads no phone or radio signal...perfect.
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline Leon.R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 09:54:00 AM »
Pap, coffee and biltong...
Why all the other stuff?
Black Douglas 68#
Wing Gull 60#
Hoyt Havoc 80#
Coupla other wheelies.
If ya gonna be stupid, you better be tough!

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 10:06:00 AM »
Solo backpacking in CO until I found a place to hunt elk where I could base camp-no need to rough it-if the hunt is one that means better quality hunt by roughing it,I'm game(no pun intended),if hunting is as good in a comfortable camp-I'll be there.

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 10:09:00 AM »
Base camp-  

Offline rtherber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 10:12:00 AM »
And this upcoming year I'm debating on taking my recently renovated Airstream Bambi out and camp in it. The Forest Service enforces the 14 day rule so its a pain to break camp and move several times. Thus-I may "rough it" in my easy setup-takedown Bambi camp.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
I have done it before,for a few days at a time.

In the NY's Adirondack Mountains they have a good hiking trail system with lean-tos built along the trails.

(they are marked on the trail maps)

That takes care of the shelter part.....A heavy wool blanket,fire starter,and some food.....It's the next best thing to Heaven!!!!!

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline T.J.

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 10:46:00 AM »
I've always wanted to do this and will in the next year or so. I'd love to hear some stories on this from the mitten brothers!
"...Watching a buck turn back seeing his form melt away, a hunter will feel an inner smile. There's no other place he wishes to be and never does he feel more alive..."

~Gene Wensel (Primal Dreams)

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 10:50:00 AM »
I packed in to the Teton Wilderness years ago in search of a bull moose which evidently had heard I was coming, because I saw only cows for over a week. Outfitter hauled my carcass about 15 miles in, said 'see ya in a week', and left. I slept under a tarp and ate freeze dried and a few grouse that were dumb enough to let me stick them. Although I didn't get my moose, it was a great time.
Done several backpack hunts for 3 or 4 days for deer and elk, but now I enjoy having a nice cot to sleep on. I still would do some backpacking in nice weather, but being cold and wet for a few days doesn't interest me any more.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 11:32:00 AM »
TJ, when you're young,it's great, relatively cheap, easy to do, and a ton of fun!  When you're hitting the big 60, like me, it's vital that you're able to recover from the day's exercise with a decent night's sleep.  I can't get that anymore by sleeping on the ground, so I went to a hammock system that's really great.  I'd absolutely encourage you to do this as soon as you can get the gear together!  We had a blast.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 12:01:00 PM »
I find myself doing it ever day now.

The OLDER I get The ROUGHER it is  :bigsmyl:

Offline chrisg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
pap biltong and coffee is all you need for sure. The name was a just an explanation not a set of rules. I am happy to be comfortable and could move in two minutes or less if I wanted to, how it should be. Remember I did this for a living for some years, today is more laid back, thank the Lord. It was fun and simple and the cheapest therapy ever! We laughed  and laughed and sat quiet and looked deep into the campfire and listened to the nightjars and owls. Die bosveld, jy ken dit mos. Not looking for badges anymore.
chrisg

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 04:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Angus:
I can't get that anymore by sleeping on the ground,  so I went to a hammock system that's really great.  
Sounds comfy.  Can you pass on more detail about your setup?  (Name, weight, ease of setup, how it does in inclimate weather, etc)

Thanks!    :D
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©