3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Roughing It  (Read 688 times)

Offline Adirondackman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Roughing It
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
I do a couple of weekends in the Adirondacks every year. I really enjoy the solitude and the simplicity of spending the weekend in the wilderness with just the bare necessities. Anyone that would like to join me is welcome. I will be doing a couple of Turkey hunts in May if anybody is interested.
"at some point technology becomes not an aid but a substitute for sportsmanship" - Aldo Leopold

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
My first bowhunt (with a Damon Howatt Hunter) I walked into the Bob Marshall Wilderness for a week by myself. I wasn't smart enough to know better and carried no bear protection, no tent, no sleeping bag. I brought iodine tabs for water purification and uncle bens instant rice for food. Multivitamins, instant rice and tobasco. That's what I ate. To this day, it's the greatest hunt of my life. I found a basin with bulls screaming and not a person for 10 miles.

On the second evening I glassed a huge 6 point bull with a bunch of cows across the basin and spent the whole evening watching trying to figure out where he was going. I remember counting points and thinking that he could just about scratch his haunches with his tips. Big, old bull.

The next day I moved across the basin to a small cliff above the meadow where the bull had pushed his cows. I sat there all day with my legs hanging over the edge glassing and sun bathing. I remember watching a golden eagle soar slowly over the meadow doing some glassing of his own. When he few by my head he was at just about my level (because I was sitting on the cliff) and seemed like he was only 15 yards from me.

Late afternoon found me obsessively watching the wind and trying to predict when the thermals would change, but I was in a good spot waiting for them. There was a long, thin stretch of meadow to my left that was like a runway coming out of the timber. I was about 5 yards into the woods near the mouth of this stretch and the wind was right in my face. I started to hear the bulls bugling and the cows crashing around in the brush moving towards me. They burst out of the timber and I thought that I was the best bowhunter in the world because I was about to kill a 6-point bull on my first outing. As they fed towards me, the bull decided he needed some water and pushed the herd to a hard left down slope. He came to about 70 yards, then disappeared into the think brush of the basin.

That night I layed on my wool blanket back on top of the cliff, listening to 4 bulls scream at each other all night long. I didn't sleep a wink. I got dressed and readied myself in the dark hoping that I could pintpoint a bull and move in at first light. They completely shut up about an hour before light, and what had clearly been an exciting night for the elk apparently warranted an early bed time.

After no action I decided to regroup and cross the basin back to the spot where I originaly glassed the bull. I was crossing these long, flat rock ledges that were puctuated by 10 or 12 foot drops. As I came to the edge of the last ledge at the bottom of the basin I saw a cow standing at the edge of a small creek. I froze and started to feel the woods come alive with elk. I had walked into the herd and the terrain had kept my scent above them. I watched cow after cow appear and disappear through the creek bottom. And then he was there. The bull I had been after for 3 days was standing silently at the base of the ledge I was standing on, 8 feet directly below me! Talk about freaking out, I could barely pull and arrow from my quiver, let alone nock it and concentrate enough to keep an eye on the bull and be quite.

Now,a funny thing happened. I had huge bull literally feet from me - every bowhunetrs dream - and I didn't know where to shoot it. As this was playing out, it seemed like I was deliberating for hours. I had a straight down shot. Spine? Sure, but these things aren't whitetails! There's a tone of bone to make it through before you can sever the spinal column. So that leaves me a head shot? No way. This was about to turn into a Lord of the Flys pig hunt slash bareback rodeo.

So I'm waiting, about 1/4 drawn out of pure nerves and adrenalin, and hoping that this bull will move so I can let fly on a hard quartering away shot. In the time that I was waiting, I was concentrating so intensely that I didn't even notice the cow that fed into about 5 yards right behind me. When she barked, I wouldn't have been more scared and surprised if a grizzly had tapped me on the shoulder to ask for Grey Poupon.

As it turns out, this was the best possible outcome. I was by myself 12 miles from my truck with no one lined up to help me pack. It was early september and I'm sure that I would have lost all that meat. I've packed a bunch of bulls by myself and it's not fun - even if it's only a couple miles. There's no way I would have gotten that animal out of the woods. So, in its' stead I was left with great memories and a passion for bowhunting elk. I think it's a fair trade.
Is it September yet?!

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
fANTASTIC STORIES GUYS!!!
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Yolla Bolly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 08:37:00 PM »
Jump over to kifaru.net----Several folks there do multi-day to multi-week rambles.
One week is my longest stateside, since the 1970 government "sponsored" multi-weekers in a far off place. It was lots of fun.
"Son, yeh gotta learn the Tehama 3-step."   Homer Whitten.

Offline C2@TheLibrary

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »
This past season for one weekend I took a pack with between 20 and 30 pounds of gear. Very little food and only 2 canteens of water(one 1 liter and 1 2 liter USMC isssue canteens)my bow, a quiver of arrows. I hiked into the Hoosier National Forest. I slept under a tarp with a boulder to my back with a fire in front and a stream about 25 yards away. I used three bandanas on a tripod to filter water fromn the stream and hiked around camp and looked for deer. Dinner the second day was a rabbit I hit with an  180 grain Ace hexblunt tipped GT. I had a blast even though I didn't see any deer. Too early in the season I think they were all in the local privately owned cornfields nearby.
One hint for sleeping on the ground. Even if you're using a foam or air mattress bust up the ground where you are going to place your bed. Years of rain and snow and such have compressed it. loosen it up, especially in the area your hips with hit the ground. If you can set up on sand so much the better. You can also make a palate with cedar or spruce boughs(the smaller the diameter the better) under your mattress. Hammocks are good but they absolutely suck in the Winter.(can you say "crisper drawer?")

Offline Viking69

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 10:16:00 PM »
I'd have to say the two most important things in my pack are my gps unit - maps and my water filter- pump.

I'm fortunate here in Northern Oregon where my home is surrounded by three wilderness areas and 1.1 million acres of national forest. Those wilderness areas are non motorized and have excellent access via backpacking trails. I use  1 meter resolution aerial photos, 7.5 minute quad maps and my trusty Garmin gps loaded with the topo map of the area I want to explore-hunt. I use the backpacking trails to get 3 to 5 miles from the nearest road quickly then dive off the trails to explore areas I've identified on the aerials. This allows me to do some "armchair recon" then use my gps to go to the exact location I've identified.  Plenty of water here in Oregon but would never drink it with out filtering first. The water filter-pump is an absolute necessity for my day pack and on extended multi-day hunts. I'll fill my camelback a few times a day to stay hydrated. No way I could pack enough water and still have room for my other gear. Mutli day hunts I use an external frame pack with everything I need lashed on. Put an animal down and your pack frame is already with you.

Offline Jager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Im doing a solo hunt this year, not really to hunt(although I will shoot something if the opertunity presented itself)but to be one with the world. I know it sounds a little out there, but I find it once in awhile when hunting. You just become everything and are no longer a single thing.

Offline Angus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2008, 11:54:00 PM »
Sorry for not getting back sooner John, busy weekend!!  I use an Eagle's nest system, great comfort, especially when it's hot!  Here's the URL for them:  http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/

It weighs a little more than a bivy setup, but provides a lot more comfort for me.  Setup is a breeze with the slap straps, but I did change out the carabiners to the lightest weight Metolius carabiners. I use a shaped z-rest pad which I cut down a little less at the head and feet, but kept adequate width in it so it would help prevent compression of the down bag on the sides.  I've not had the opportunity to use it in bad weather, but the bug netting is great.  I found that I needed a pillow, , but a meat bag stuffed with spare clothes works fine, both for my head and under my knees.  I wouldn't backpack in winter: Curt's gotta be right about it, since it would allow the sides of a bag to be pressed in and reduce the loft accordingly.  I've done a fair amount of high-altitude mountaineering, and those days of frostbite are long over!  You don't need to haul the kitchen sink, but hey-it's a vacation, no matter how you cut it!  I'll also pack in a little Platypus full of good scotch, a couple of cigars, and some luxury chocolate to munch on.  I use a Schuh mega pack, and don't use a hydration bladder-too much work to get any fluid out of it. A Nalgene bottle with built-in measure, freeze dried meals and energy drink/bars,and since I don't find a lot of decent freeze-dried veggies, I dehydrate my own.  .  The pack weighs in between 22-28lbs, depending on the duration, but everything works well, but I try to get everything to do at least two, maybe three things.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2008, 12:20:00 AM »
Great stories guys!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline Chopie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2008, 08:03:00 AM »
Great stories and information. Bowfiend I was right there with you, what a rush. thanks for  taking me along   :archer:
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2008, 08:11:00 AM »
Great story Levi...and all the rest of you guys too. Very cool thread.

I'll second or third the vote for a hennessy hammock...if you will be where there are trees to tie it to, you won't bother with a normal tent set-up ever again, imho.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©