3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve vs. longbow  (Read 760 times)

Offline bean0568

• Trad Bowhunter
recurve vs. longbow
« on: March 14, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Hey Gang,

Signed up a few days ago and really have enjoyed reading and learning. I hunted with a recurve many years ago and then switched to a compound for the last 10-12. I have the urge to become simple again. If that makes sense? All I have shot has been a recurve and never a longbow. I still have my Mamba (which I may sell) but want to check out longbows. I had a friend tell me that shooting a longbow will be some different than with my recurve. Also, that a longbow takes alot more practice time. I see that the "gang" here is mixed and was wondering the pro's vs. con's with a recurve and longbow.

Thanks for your time.

Jude 23

Brian
Jude 23

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: recurve vs. longbow
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 10:26:00 PM »
I wouldn't say a long bow takes more practice then a recurve. There is a slight "site window' difference for me between the two. The biggest thing I find is the different grip, but you can get long bows with the recurve style grip so....   I would try  a few bows first before you decide.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
I don't think a Longbow takes more practice either.  The Longbow's of today come with many different grip styles, and you really need to try them, and see what works for you.  

I find in most cases a Longbow is quieter than Recurves, and they point better for me, but we are all different, and again what works for me may not work for the next person, so get out, and shoot as many as possible before choosing a bow.

Mike
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline TJ Jones

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 10:55:00 PM »
I used to think that longbows were more difficult to shoot, rattled the teeth, and were quite a bit slower than a recurve. Then I shot one at a trad shoot. For me the grip of the longbow just worked for me better than the high wrist on most recurves resulting in the longbow being easier for me to shoot. And with the designs of longbows today (hybrids) there's very little handshock and not much fps difference between them and recurves. Just really comes down to what you like and feels right to you.

Offline Gordon martiniuk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 10:57:00 PM »
Long bows are not as fast as recurves but they shoot much the same and long bows but longbows are a bit harder to shoot most people go from compound to recurves then to long bows this seems to be the way for many who want to go trad all the way
Gord

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I can't see that a well made Reflex/Deflex longbow gives up any speed to a recurve.
 The Hill style bows are slow, and full of handshock though.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:03:00 PM »
A recurve is closer to a wheelie bow, This is why some will say a long bow is harder & takes more practice. Plus what others have said. I would say go out to a trad shoot and try as many bows (long bow & recurves). Let the bow fine you. I started with a wheelie bow, then tried a recurve... That got me hooked, but I found out I do better with a long bow.

Offline bean0568

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:08:00 PM »
I heard the long bow has more handshock. I plan on going to 3Rivers later this month and try a few out and see for myself. I have alot to learn about the longbow.. sounds like fun.

Thanks for your input.
Jude 23

Offline Stringdancer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
If your going to 3 Rivers you better bring your credit card, cause you just might leave with a Tomahawk after shooting it  :thumbsup:
" FEAR THE MAN WITH ONE BOW "

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 11:26:00 PM »
very few longbows today with teh avrious R/D have hand shock. All is good.

what stringdance said..$$$
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline bean0568

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Well,  After taking and leading a Dave Ramsey financial class - no credit cards will be taken. Don't have any anymore. I will however chose which one I like best and pay cash so it doesn't follow me around for months. I have heard the Tomahawks are pretty awesome. I look forward to shooting a lot of bows.
Jude 23

Offline longbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2008, 11:44:00 PM »
It is mainly just a matter of personal preference. Just as some prefer blonds and some redheads. Blonds tend to be taller and redheads faster. But you have to date a few and decide for yourself.

Be sure to try to the girls from the school of Howard Hill. Many of us find them not shocking or slow at all, just frisky and responsive to a loving hand, and prefer them to all others. -lbg

Offline Trick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 06:14:00 AM »
Brian, where are you at in Indiana?

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 08:01:00 AM »
I think a longbow adds to the challenge of shooting and hunting.  Straight grips and straight limbs are not for everyone because they are harder to master.
lll

Offline GameMaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2008, 08:28:00 AM »
Better materials,pistol hand grips,shelfs cut past center,where does it end. Go to a shoot and try out alot of different bows before you buy one. When you buy the bow give it time and see how good you can become. By time I don't mean 3 months, try 3 years. I will agree on one thing mentioned, a straight grip on a longbow with no indentation is very hard to master and you will have a harder time.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2008, 08:43:00 AM »
Define your interest. What is it about trad you hope to accomplish...hunting, targets, connection to the past, simplicity, beauty (lines, style, & grace) etc.? Most agree any of the trad bows are beautiful & have primo character plus shooting differences...recurves +/- shorter/faster & longbows elegant simplicity. Any shooting variances aren't an obstacle you can't quickly neutralize. Throw in selfbows & R/D & you have another very interesting facet of Traditional Archery. Hard to make a mistake. Try a bunch first. Can you really be content with just one bow?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2008, 08:44:00 AM »
I think, and this is just my opinion, that the grip on the bow makes a huge difference.  

There are;
1) High wrist
2) Medium wrist
3) Low wrist
4) Flat grip (many longbows)

or combine some of those grips with a forward handle design!!!! Too many choices.

Many custom bowyers out there can put any of these grips on a longbow or recurve, especially if it is a takedown bow.

Another thing to think about, is that recurves tend to shoot a wider spine range of arrows.  This makes tuning somewhat easier.

Rick Ellis of striker bows said to me once, "All bows are made to shoot more accurate than we will ever shoot them."

*Pick the one that is most comfortable and shoots the best for YOU.

I wanted to shoot longbows and I so I bought one and used it for three years. I was never very comfortable with it.  Now I shoot a recurve and wouldn't trade it for the world.

Good luck,
-Charlie

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2008, 08:45:00 AM »
Correct, consistent archery shooting form is what gets it done. No matter what type of bow.
In my experience taking the time to make sure your shafts are the correct spine for a longbow is 90% of the challenge. The shafts must be spined right; pretty close on spine is not good enough. I will add that longbow form is more critical; but in my opinion more "fun" as well.
A longbow is lightweight, whisper quiet and deadly in a practiced hand.
After reading my post I hope I haven't scared you off a longbow.. Remember this stuff isn't rocket science. Your on the trad gang now. The best place to be if you have questions and need any help.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2008, 09:20:00 AM »
IMO ...

There are recurves, r/d hybrid longbows, and reflex and/or straight longbows.  Every bow type, and different bows within a type category, will shoot a bit different, but I've never found those differences to be at all radically different.  They're all just stickbows.    :thumbsup:  

Overall, most well designed recurves will have an arrow speed advantage.  It's my opinion that recurves are very "lively" stickbows, due to the highly curved limb tips and wider limbs, and that can reduce the bow's overall stability.  They tend to be noisy bows due to limb slap on release.

Hill style straight/reflex limbed longbows on the average are lots slower in arrow speed but more stable than a recurve, have narrower and longer limbs, and the lack of limb slap is an advantage.

I prefer r/d hybrid longbows - the limb design greatly adds to arrow speed (some are right up there with the best of recurves), are more effective in a shorter length that compares well to a recurve, they  have narrow limbs and tend to be more stable than a recurve, and no limb slap noise.

The handle/grip on any of the above bow styles isn't an issue, since any shape can be created into any riser.  One of my earliest longbows was an early 60's Herter Itasca - 70" long, 53#, dead straight limbs, with a recurve pistol grip.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2008, 09:32:00 AM »
People that say Hill style bows are slow, and full of hand shock, don't know how to shoot them, or are using to light of a arrow. With the proper grip, and arrow, there is no hand shock.
 Mine are not slow at all, or shocky. You do have to learn to shoot them the right way. Just picking one up, and taking a few shots, won't tell you much about what the bow can do, once it's shot properly, with the right arrow.
 Try them all, one will fit your style, and have fun with it.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©