3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: recurve vs. longbow  (Read 761 times)

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: recurve vs. longbow
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2008, 09:36:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archer 1:
People that say Hill style bows are slow, and full of hand shock, don't know how to shoot them, or are using to light of a arrow. With the proper grip, and arrow, there is no hand shock.
 Mine are not slow at all, or shocky. You do have to learn to shoot them the right way. Just picking one up, and taking a few shots, won't tell you much about what the bow can do, once it's shot properly, with the right arrow.
 Try them all, one will fit your style, and have fun with it.
+1    :thumbsup:  ... except for the speed thing -  I've had near a dozen Hills or Hill-style longbows and they were all noticeably slower than a good hybrid, given the same holding weight and arrow.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline bean0568

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2008, 09:43:00 AM »
Wow. Thanks for all the information. Looks like patience is key and shooting several bows before I purchase one.

I was told this is a top-notch site and very helpful. Glad to be on board.

Trick: I am from eastern Indiana. Right outside Richmond.
Jude 23

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
The best thing you can do is to shoot every bow you can get your hands on and pick one you like.You should probably get one used, because what you like will change as you develope your style.

If you buy used to start,you can sell and trade without spending so much money.The classifieds here is a pretty good place,just know who you are dealing with and check out how long they have been here and their previous posts.

I like longbows and recurves but I'm more accurate with recurves or longbows that are designed closer to recurves.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »
Originally posted by Archer 1:
People that say Hill style bows are slow, and full of hand shock, don't know how to shoot them, or are using to light of a arrow. With the proper grip, and arrow, there is no hand shock.
 Mine are not slow at all, or shocky. You do have to learn to shoot them the right way. Just picking one up, and taking a few shots, won't tell you much about what the bow can do, once it's shot properly, with the right arrow.
 Try them all, one will fit your style, and have fun with it.
I agree 100%.  I actually shoot these bows better than any recurve I have tried.  I keep trying to master the recurve, but I migrate back to my longbows after the flirtation is over.
Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2008, 11:25:00 AM »
There is a "forgiving stableness" found in bows with narrow limbs that are at best reflexed.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline buckeye_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Go to the trad expo in St. Clairesville the 11th-13th of April. It is a straight shot for you on I70 from Richmond.  About 4 hours travel time, but well worth it. I was there last year and found it very helpful.

-Charlie

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »
There both good...once you learn how and what makes the arrow work...a longbow can be very accurate, may take a little more work...ya got practice with trd bow regularly! good luck mark#78
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2008, 12:27:00 PM »
I second or third what Archer 1 and One eye says....
    I hate it when someone mentions a Longbow and right away people say hand shock....
    Most of the best trick shooter and Hunters have used Longbows....
    All I own are Longbows, Saxon American Traditional, Howard Hill Big five,and I have a Gary Sentman Razorback (hill style) that will be here soon....
    I personaly think a longbow is better for Hunting, especial animals that wont stand still....
    As mentioned above by others, A straight limbed and straight grip ( i use a disched grip) bow, needs to be griped right and shot with the proper weight of arrow, thay are the lightest and quietest bows out there....
    And to me they are graceful beautiful bows....
    Straitera....
Go to some local shoots and try everybow that comes along....
    As mentiond above, when your bow finds you, you will know...Untill the next one finds you....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
When I came back I shot nothin' but Curves. Then I started shooting both recurves and hybrids. Now I shoot a hybrid and a Trad Style Longbow. Just like them better.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Your the only one who can answer that. Buy one of each and see for your self, or better yet buy a few of each lol. Good luck and have fun and enjoy.

Alan

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »
I have had lots of Hill stile  bows, some have more shock than others and some are a lot faster than others. I believe it has to do with the tip dimensions.  I have two Schulz built bows that are faster than any Bear I ever compared them with, including my own. I have a bamboo and yew combo that is nearly equal to the Schulz, but has other attributes that in some ways makes it better for hunting.  I will not get into actual numbers, since the chronographs may not have been the same, but when used on the same day with the same arrows the comparisons are at least relative. I think for many a standing target is easier with a hybrid or a recurve, out hunting the pointablility of low wrist longbows, shot with Hill form is meat in the freezer.

Offline Big'n

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
Bean, are you right or Left handed?  I'm in Lewisburg, OH and there are a few of us Trad Gangers within 15 mins. of ya. Most of us shoot longbows but some still shoot recurves. Let me know and I'll see if I can't get you set up with some of the guys and we'll shoot at my place.

As far as which one to shoot....that's a question you'll have to figure out with time. Like someone said above, I don't think you can figure that out in one days shooting. I've recently converted to Longbows. I love them and have never been soooo consistant. I can't really explain why but they seem tons more forgiving. It seems when I miss my mark with the LB the arrows stay in the vitals (3D). Where with my recurves I tend to miss by a greater margin with a form mistake..

Send me a PM if you wanna get together and shoot. God Bless, DAVE
"If you want just one thing too much in life....Your life will likely be a disappointment" Augustus McCrae

Offline bean0568

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2008, 03:53:00 PM »
Dave,

I am right handed and I still have my old Mamba recurve and am shopping around for something new. I have been shooting wheels for a while and want to get back into traditional. I am going on a bear hunt in September and want to be ready and take one. Would love to shoot a bit.
Jude 23

Offline Fred II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Hey, I am pretty new to the site as well!! How are ya doin?  Well I've been shooting traditional now for not even a year now, my father on the other hand has been doin it for darn near his whole life though.  So I have a lot of bows at my disposal to try and test out.  For some reason I have just begun to shoot the longbows. At first I just liked the way the recurves looked and felt and therefore went with those right away.  However after shooting a longbow for the first time I would have to say that longbows are far easilier to shoot.  I get a rediculous group with a longbow compared to my recurves.  I think the long limbs and everything make for a far more forgiving release compared to the shorter recurves.  Also I do however believe its a bit of a head game if you like a longbow you will learn to shoot good with it, and visa versa.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have live before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
You definitely need to shoot both before you buy anything.  Some guys take to longbows like fish to water; I'm not one of them.  Due to lack of mass weight in the riser, they will have more handshock than a takedown recurve, even if heavily reflex/deflex in design.  On the other hand, at hunting ranges they seem to point better and quicker than recurves, which is one reason many like them as hunting weapons.  There is very little difference in speed between the fastest longbows and fastest recurves these days.  Longbows are quieter.  It just seems like some guys are recurve guys and some are longbow guys; only you can decide that.  Good luck, Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Fred II

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2008, 09:06:00 AM »
Extremely Well stated Paul!! I could not agree more with you.
The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have live before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life.

Offline bean0568

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2008, 11:24:00 AM »
Thanks guys for all your help. I look forward to a new chapter in my hunting/shooting. I have learned so much already by just reading through the site.
Jude 23

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©