3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow vs Blacktail  (Read 2051 times)

Offline tradrick

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow vs Blacktail
« on: March 15, 2008, 01:22:00 PM »
Not wanting to get anything started just asking for comparisons to those that have shot both.I've noticed the prices are nearly the same.How do they compare?I'm sure their both very well made bows and I'm probably just splitting hairs here.Please post your comments and post pics.Thanks tradrick

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow vs Blacktail
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 01:32:00 PM »
I have owned both. These are 2 very different bows,the way they feel, shoot and look. Depending on which model of Widow you are talking
about, the Widow will slightly out perform the Blacktail. In the looks department the Blacktail blows the Widow out of the water. I have killed alot of game with the old MAIII's. You need to get your hands on both to see and feel the differences. Good luck.

Offline R H Clark

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 02:43:00 PM »
Go ahead and buy a Widow,then order a Blacktail.By the time the Blacktail is ready you will have saved the money for it.You can shoot both and sell the one you don't want.

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
zwickeyman is right on in that the Widows are better shooters/performers while the Blacktail looks better.

There are plenty of great used Widows on the market and if you want a new one, it's about 3-4 months.  It's almost a year for a new Blacktail and Norm makes far fewer bows than Widow.
Lon Scott

Offline tradrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 04:56:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.Black Widow is suppose to be at the Howard Hill Shoot in June so I guess I can go play then.I'm not in any hurry.And I'm not spending that kind of money until I can shoot one.RH Clark are you going to the ASTB Children's Hospital Shoot next month?Thanks tradrick

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
I don't own a BW but I know they have a demo program as does Fedora, and other top bowyers do too.
They will ship you one to shoot for a week or two-get your card ready and check it out!

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »
Just a question. I see where Blackhawk says, "..Widows are better shooters/performers while the Blacktail looks better."  Would you give up 10fps arrow speed to be able to shoot and gaze upon the beauty of a Blacktail? Just asking...not trying to cause an argument.   :)
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline halsey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 07:44:00 PM »
heck yeah.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:47:00 PM »
Both good, only you can decide which is best for you.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
I've owned both and I like the Blacktail better.  I think the Widow is a great bow, but I don't think it performs that much better than a Blacktail.

I like the Blacktail for 2 reasons.  The grip and the looks.  I think the Blacktail bow is the best looking bow out there.

You really need to shoot both and compare the grips before you decide, but I'd go with the Blacktail.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 08:15:00 PM »
I say own both!!

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 10:09:00 PM »
It would be interesting to see some chrono numbers comparing the 2 bows. The widows are quick, but there are bows out there that are much quicker. I would bet the widow wouldn't be more than 2-3 FPS faster-if that much.
BD

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
I'd say go with a Widow!  Very accurate, forgiving bows. Steady and balanced.  Performance is the top and to me the Osage PSA X or PMA X is the "Bee's Knee's"....
Blessings,
Steve

Offline LazerRay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 11:10:00 PM »
I like my Widow
Contempt prior to investigation leads to everlasting ignorance!
William James

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
I am a lefty, my BW PGA shoots my arrow at 178 fps. Yesterday at a 3D shoot I shot my friend's right hand Blacktail (about 1#heavier for me) with the same arrow. I got right at 180 with it.

Just for comparison, my new Morrison with the foam core limbs, same dw as my Widow shoots the same arrow at 184. Not enough difference in any of them to care about.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 09:28:00 AM »
I have owned and shot both, shot a blacktail for a few years, I have to disagree about performance, the Blacktail shot right with the Widow. Widows are only average speed wise as are the Blacktails.  Norms bows are absolutely gorgeous and ya can get a lot more options and choices. I like Widows and have one on the way, but ya can take ten Widow PMA's in greybark and lay them side by side and not tell one from the other, Norms bows you will be able to tell them apart. Both great bows, but if ya want a one of a kind unique bow and a great shooter, go with the Blacktail. Shawn
Shawn

Offline Lefty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 09:52:00 AM »
I have owned alot of Widows and just one Blacktail.  I was also a little dissapointed with the performance of the Blacktail, but as far as looks go, it was the prettiest bow I have owned.  But, I also love the looks of the 3-piece Widows.  There durability, shootablility, the way they fit my shooting style, and their great customer service and company history, makes them my personal choice.

Offline tradrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 11:12:00 AM »
Thanks guys,lots of good opinions.I'll be checking them out.tradrick

Offline Running Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
I own a MA-2 and a Black Tail Elite both at #56 LB
Shooting a 29" 2018, the widow will put the arrow thru the chrono at 186 fps. The black Tail will do it at 182 fps. If I take the D-97 string off of the widow, Both bows will be within 2 fps. The widow is a little more comfortable to shoot because it does not have as high a grip as does the Black Tail. Hope this helps.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2008, 12:45:00 PM »
Hey RB....what kind of string is on your Blacktail??

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©