3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: obsidian hunting points  (Read 489 times)

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
obsidian hunting points
« on: March 15, 2008, 05:57:00 PM »
I am looking for some honest opinions here. I know that I will get them in this forum even though everyone is super nice and hesitant to discourage anyone.I need to know if these points are good enough to hunt with. They are pretty sharp on the point and edges. They weigh in at around 150 grains with a couple a little heavier. They range from 2 to 2-1/2 " long. What d'ya think? Help me by being brutally honest. I can take it for the sake of improvment. Thanks guys and gals. Brian

"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: obsidian hunting points
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 06:11:00 PM »
Look better than the originals I've found laying around. Solid mount, well placed shot, no problem.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
You better sent a couple to me and I will let you know (LOL) nice points.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »
Which is a better design for hunting?
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:32:00 PM »
We need to do a quality control test on some of these. Select 4 and send them to me. I will report back as to their penetration.  lol

Maybe some knappers will come on here and give their opinion. I think they look like they will do the job.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:33:00 PM »
I dont believe the indians starved to death.  HECK YA USE'EM.  All kidding aside that bottom row looks deadly.

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 06:44:00 PM »
Look good to me.  Wish I could make 'em like that.  I want to take a deer with a stone point in a bad way.  Nice job.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 07:16:00 PM »
Horatio, they look fine to me but without seeing the edge it's hard to say for sure. My guess is they would be fine. I've killed 2 deer here in NY with stone (flint I think) thanks to a generous member here. I wouldn't have believed stone could be so effective without seeing it myself, but it is. Obsidian is suppose to be sharper than flint so as long as the points are relatively thin, I'm sure you will do fine.

One word of caution though. Several of those heads would not be legal in NY because the ends point backwards and therefor would be considered barbed. If you want to stay legal make sure they are at least 7/8" wide and the rear edge is at a 90' angle to the shaft.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline BryanB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 07:28:00 PM »
Very reasonable points.  Be cautious to see if you can hunt with barbed points in your area.  The best design (my opinion)is the second one from the left on the bottom.  With a flat back, that would be perfect.  Also, be sure to very slightly serrate the cutting edges.  This greatly improves the cutting effectiveness.
Bryan

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 07:31:00 PM »
Thanks Brent
Thats what I'm looking for. I was under the impression it was illegal to use stone points in our great state of corrupt politicians.Brian

Loooking at them again they all may be barbed.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:49:00 PM »
Yeah what Brent said.
Nice points man!!
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 12:01:00 AM »
I'd hunt with any of them from looking at their outline. Is the profile straight? The longer ones would be preferred.  You can haft them on a shaft and then remove the barbed portion with a pressure flaker. I have had to do it a few times to make stone heads legal here in NC. Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jason Lester

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
Yeah I have to watch the barbed thing here in Ohio too.

your heads look nice.
Jason Lester

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 03:29:00 AM »
I bought an arrow with a point similar to the second from the left bottom row from a Lakota Sioux friend.  I shot it through a deer and the broadhead shattered when it hit a rock.  The deer went about 70 yards, leaving a heavy blood trail.  I don't know how to make them as sharp as the one I bought.  If yours have that dangerously sharp feel use them.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 06:49:00 AM »
Just looking at them in your photo I would pick the second from the left in the bottom row. That is if you were to square up the bottom so the barbs were gone, It would be my opinion that the finer edge on that point would serve me better with my lower poundage bows, and from just looking at different stone points the ones with the finer work detail always were sharper. It also has good length, that will give it more cutting surface, nice work   :thumbsup:
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©