3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: PA Elk tag  (Read 797 times)

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
PA Elk tag
« on: February 09, 2007, 01:33:00 PM »
How many of you PA people, or any other put in for the PA Elk tag? Has any one here ever got one? Figure I better start trying every year since I hear it is very slim chance to get the tag.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline fields

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: PA Elk tag
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 01:36:00 PM »
I put in every year.  I have never been drawn. Its pretty much like hitting the lottery.  I always hope to hit it, but don't get too disappointed when I do not.  I guess you got to play to win though.

Offline Peckerwood

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
It's kind of like the Maine moose lottery- I apply every year but never get drawn.
Bill
NO matter where you go there you  are !

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »
Buy a VA license and you can hunt Elk for free.  I think there's been 15 or so killed.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
What parts of VA have Elk? No extra permit?
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Featherbuster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 03:05:00 PM »
i have to know more
We do not inherit the Earth from our Ancestors, we borrow it from our Children. - Tribe Unknown

Southern Traditional Archery

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
No extra tag needed.  They are treated as "deer".  The VADGIF let's you shoot them as they are elk that have wandered over from TN,KY, and NC reintroduction programs and VA has no such program and ranchers see them as a disease threat.  I'm trying to find the breakdown of where all the harvests have been.  They are in the extreme Southwestern counties,...oops here you go:  http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/elk_hunting.asp

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 03:07:00 PM »
Jerry,  I have 5 close friends who have been drawn for elk tags and all have gotten beautiful bulls.  Every one of them have said if they knew then what they know now about hunting them they never would have put in for a tag.  Each of them were nearly babysit by the PGC and 3 of them had people behind evey tree watching to see if they were going to cross over on to their private land.  One shot a bull and made a bad hit and the bull crossed on to private property and layed down 50 yds. away.  As they approached the property line PGC and the land owner with the Sherrif was all waiting to see what was going to happen.  After much debate the landowner allowed some of the spectators to push the bull abck on to state land and he finished it off.  That was with a rfle, imagine if you made a good shot on one with a bow and it made it to private property.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 03:11:00 PM »
I'm not sure how they would act here in VA as far as the timing of their rut is concerned.  If they act the same as in the west then most rutting activity would be over before bow season starts here, which is the first Sat of Oct.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©