3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: adding some weight up front on woodies?  (Read 303 times)

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
adding some weight up front on woodies?
« on: March 16, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »
ive been thinking about wrapping some thin thread about six or seven inches like a flyrod from the tip end, and i think that i have enough room with my broadhead ferrule that i could actualy do a second or third layer but a bit shorter like a taper.  
the questions i have are what kind of glue for the thread and what kind of final finish over the top. oh yeah what kind of thread might have some weight. i would rather have most of the weight in the thread and not in the glue,  it would be a little more consitant.  
i was thinking some rod building varnish just to wet the threads and poly on top.  
what do you all think

Offline Rico

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: adding some weight up front on woodies?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 03:51:00 AM »
I have seen leaded fishing line have you thought about a heavier broadhead

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:08:00 AM »
Fly shops have the leaded leaders, that might work, and yeah, I agree poly over the top.
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline Windknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:52:00 AM »
Cortland do a lead core line called Kerboom (you'll know why if you try casting the stuff!) that would do the trick.

I have added weight to field points by melting air rifle pellets in them- you should be able to add about 50 grains this way before you run out of space inside the head. Though I haven't tried it you could also add more weight by drilling a small hole down the centre of the shaft, and hiding some more more lead down there. Would require accurate drilling, though.

But with Ace archery making a 200 grain head, you'll have to decide if it's all worth it.
Always keep an edge on your knife, 'cause a good sharp edge is man's best hedge against the vague uncertainties of life.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »
Melting split shot right in the broadhead works well and is easy to work with too.

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I've been doing the melted lead way to add 45gr. Works great, the weight is balanced nicely and the arrows all weigh the same.
lll

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
if using 11/32" shafts, try a 2.3-3" 2315 XX75 shaft. Then add a 2.5" piece of shaft or insert. Plus You can still melt a split shot, if using the wood shaft on the front part, taper shaft.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Might get yelled at for this...I was shooting yesterday with a buddy who had hardwood footed arrows, a few had wood screw in adapters(50 grn) with his judo/field tips. Those things buried into the 3d's compared to the rest of our arrows. They werent that ugly either. Just throwing another option out there.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline NY Yankee

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Wooden Bows, Wooden Arrows and 2-Blade Broadheads
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I think your wrapping will come apart sooner or later no mater what glue or finish you use. I would use a couple split shot in the point or just a heavier point. The next way would be to foot the shaft with a piece of maple or other heavy wood.
"Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"
Bear Claw Chris Lapp

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 02:24:00 PM »
would boring a hole in the end and inserting a nail add weight and strength, as long as it were back far enough as to not destroy your taper tool?
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline D.Sheppard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 02:30:00 PM »
just weighed some bright finish, a 6 penny finish averages about 25 gr. and a 10 penny finish averages about 50 gr.
"We're just a bunch of part time amateur hunters giving chase to full time professional animals."

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
The problem with boring a hole 2 or 3 inches in the arrow for a nail is keeping it straight and in the center. Not al that easy to do
lll

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 07:50:00 PM »
Wrapping your arrow near the tip with two or three layers of thread won't add but 10-20 grains, hardly worth doing.  I've done some experimenting with an internal metal foot, i.e., nail, steel rod.  Can add more than 100 grains that way.  I'll talk about it in another post.

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »
i used some fake sinew, wraped about 4 inches, the thread weighed 20 grains.  so if i did six inches, and another at four i would get 50 and i bet it would toughen it up a litte. not to mention it kinda looks cool

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©