3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wing Bows?  (Read 1210 times)

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
Wing Bows?
« on: March 16, 2008, 08:16:00 AM »
Need some advise from the experts. What was your favorite shooting Wing recurve? How did they compare to other recurves of the same time period? Wasn't Bob Lee involved with Wing Archery?  Also your opinons on the 62" Wing Vantage Pro? I like the looks of the slim grip on this bow for a recurve.  Thanks for you help! Tom [bentpole]

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wing Bows?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:27:00 AM »
I like the Redwing hunter bows the best, Bob Lee started Wing Archery and continues to make bows today, I also have a Bob Lee hunter that is a lot like the Redwing, and is my favorite recurve to shoot.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 08:53:00 AM »
I have an early (1963) rosewood....Red Wing Hunter 49#er.Probley one of the best shooting recurve bows ever built bar none...If you ask Glenn StCharles what recurve he thought was the best shooter,his reply would be the Red Wing Hunter.Glenn felt that the Red Wing was the best of the best for a shooter.I personaly like my 49# rosewood model....There were also a few Red Wing Hunters made in 62" rather then the normal 58" and they are super good shooters as well.Yes Bob Lee started Wing in the 1950's ran it until around 1968-1969,when they were purchased by head ski and then head ski was purchased by AMF...then the Wing name was purchased at auction by Dr.Bob in N.J And then was sold back to Bob Lee a few years ago...bowdoc

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
The best shooting old Wing IMO is the Competition II take-down.  They are hard to find in hunting weights though.  

Of the more available Wings I like the 62" model Thunderbird best.  I've owned several and they are heavy and stable and very fast...kind of noisy though.

One of the real "sleepers" of all the vintage bows is the Wing Gull 64" semi-recurve.  A great shooter and not too hard to find.

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2008, 11:23:00 AM »
I have an AMF/Wing Hawk that can keep up with newer curves. I think Wing was the first company for Bob Lee, then that was purchased by...I want to say HEAD, which then became AMF?wing? Im sure someone wno KNOWS will come along... I know my bow is from the 70's, and its just as nice as some from today.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline curtinmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
I own 4 red wing hunters,a red wing pro(slim line series)a hawk and a gull.All are great shooters even though I draw 31.5".They can still be purchased at bargain prices and are possibly the most underrated bows there are.Tom I would love to have a 62"Vantage Pro as they do not seem to be very common -you rarely see those for sale..Curt

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 12:35:00 PM »
I have a 58" Red Wing Hunter that was made in the early 70's.  Nice smooth shooting bow that's still going strong.  This is my "basement bow", which I leave in my shop and use for conditioning/form practice shooting when I can't shoot outside...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline KELLEY40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 12:51:00 PM »
Just sold a thunderbird.Very good shooting bow.
Just can't get use to recurves.
Also had a RW hunter nice bow also.
Ron

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »
All of the Wing bows Bob built were pretty outstanding bows; but the one I wish I had kept was the Red Wing Hunter. Bob's personal favorite from among all the bows too.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Ia Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 01:44:00 PM »
Sorry Mike, I respectfully disagree ! My Presentation 11 That I've had since 1970 (before Comp 11} is the best that I've ever shot and I've shot them all. I've had it refinished and retired it. Beautiful and a heck of a shooter !

Offline Mike Byrge@home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 01:56:00 PM »
IA Hawkeye,
You make a good argument!!! I've got a 52# Wing P2 Short riser and it as good a bow as any and lot nicer to look at than the metal-riser competition 2.

Both are great bows!!

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 02:56:00 PM »
The Thunderbird was quite a bow as well...awesome shooter and dead in the hand.

If you can find a short, all wood riser Presentation II, you will have quite a bow for sure.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2008, 02:58:00 PM »
How about the Chaparral?? I have always thought it was a looker, just never shot one.
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2008, 03:09:00 PM »
Folks, Thank you for your responses! I'm getting an education keep it coming!

Offline Ga.boy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2008, 04:51:00 PM »
I have a 54" Wing Thunderbird and it is one of the quietest and fastest recurves I have ever shot. It will be in the turkey blind with me next Saturday morning. YeeeHaaww!
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »
I have a 1962, 62", 48# Red Wing Custom that is a SWEET shooting bow. I'd have to put it ahead of any of the Hunters that I have .... and I have a pile of them in all the years that they came in including some Experimentals.

Of course we all know that you can shoot several identical bows (Make, model & weight) and they will all probably shoot & feel a little differently.

Al (Als Decals)

Offline CheapShot

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2008, 08:04:00 PM »
I have a Wing Falcon 47# @ 28" 62". I'ts a plain Jane looking bow. Brown glass, soild wood riser, Rosewood maybe? It really zips an arrow pretty good. I've not seen another like it. I guess a short production time. Does anyone know much about the Falcon?
TNGIRL....
>>>>>>>>------------>>
Ye Olde Fartes and Sore Losers,
NGTA, TBG,
TGMM Family of The Bow,
Compton's Traditional Bowhunters

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2008, 09:21:00 PM »
I got to shoot a Vantage Pro a few weeks ago. A very nice smooth shooter for sure, and great to look at, too. But...try to find one that's for sale.
   I also shot a friends Comp.II about a month ago. Even better than the Vantage Pro. The metal riser makes it very dead in the hand on release. The Thunderbirds are also nice.I've never shot a Presentation, but they sure are lookers.
   Good luck in your search!

Offline Migra Bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2008, 10:58:00 PM »
Had a 1973 Red Wing Hunter (AMF) made of Wingwood that was a VERY smooth shooter- no stacking at all. Recently sold it and upgraded to a 64-68 Red Wing Hunter (when Bob Lee was there) made of Rosewood. Haven't shot that one yet. Droptine is fixing the tip.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 05:21:00 PM »
Great Info Folks.So I guess the most desireable Wings are the Wing Hunters then?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©