3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hot news from American Leathers  (Read 2847 times)

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Hot news from American Leathers
« on: May 15, 2015, 11:07:00 PM »
A while back I talked to John Turner at American Leathers about having my favorite glove repaired.

While we talked he told me of a new glove he was thinking about bringing out. He'd been experimenting with Kangaroo leather and asked if I'd be willing to try it.

I was flattered and agreed to give it a shot so to speak but I had serious doubts that it could be any better than my Buffalo Crossover. I was hooked on that old glove.

I'd run into the same misgivings when I switched from my regular Buffalo Bigshot to the Buffalo Crossover. It's human nature to resist change and I'm more hard headed than most.

The new glove arrived in the same package as my repaired glove. My first impression of the Kangaroo glove was that it was much lighter physically than the Buffalo glove.

Well, I tried it on and it was a perfect fit. The stalls fit almost to the second knuckle of my string fingers which would enable a deep hook.

I was concerned that the tips would be too stiff and my first few shots bore that out. Knowing it might take a few days to break in I accepted the fact and moved forward.

A good coat of Montana Pitch Blend never hurts anything so I massaged small doses of it into the fresh leather.

Within two days of shooting a few dozen shots a day and the glove had become an old friend.

The release was smooth and effortless. The arrows flew from my bow without a waver. I knew John had a winner in this product.

I've retired my old glove to standby status. This new glove with it's light yet tough Kangaroo leather will be my go to glove for many hunts to come. It seems to be not as warm as the Buffalo hide. Probably because it is thinner.

John gave me the go ahead to post this little report today. He had been concerned that his source of leather might not be sufficient. I'm happy to report that he is in possession of a very large supply of Kangaroo hide at this writing.

Check with John for information about pricing.

Here's a couple of pictures.

Old Bigshot with new stalls on the left, Kangaroo glove on the right.

Old Buffalo Bigshot Crossover on the left. New Buffalo Crossover in the middle and the new kangaroo Crossover on the right.

Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline flyne

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hot news from American Leathers
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Verry nice  wish the Aussie dollar was better
If you are not working to protect hunting, then you are working to destroy it.         (Fred Bear)

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
Looks good.  Might have to give one a try.

Offline Tim Nuss

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2015, 12:49:00 AM »
I have always liked the American Leather line of products ( the Bigshot, the Crossover, and his Armguards ).
I did't think you could get any better than the Bigshot, then he came out with the Crossover. Now it looks like I am going to have to try his new Kangaroo Crossover. I will be looking forward to it.
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of Illinois
Compton Member

Offline granpa

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2015, 08:04:00 AM »
top of the line stuff from a top of the line manufacturer. I love my American Leathers products.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2015, 08:32:00 AM »
Nice Charlie!

Does that new glove have stiff inserts under the nylon?

Offline Steve Jr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
I have been shooting with a big shot for years now and it is the best glove out there (IMO) I might have to try one of those new ones though. Curious about the inserts too.

Steve
Steve Jr

Stalker Coyote FXT LB 58" & 48#@26"
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline johnnyk71

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
dang you, Charlie! you're gonna cost me some money, haha! my Crossover glove may very well be the best money I've spent on anything archery related, period. it's that good!
All lefty, all the time...
Martin Hatfield 45#@28"
Liberty Chief Elite 53#
Blacktail Elite V.L. 53#
Maddog Prairie Predator 51#
Sheepeater Spirit 50#
RER Retro 53#
RER LXR Recurve 52#, Longbow 54#

Offline Florida lime

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
American Leathers ?  We have kangaroos in America now !?!?     :bigsmyl:  

I've always used a tab, but that glove could convert me. Kangaroo is lighter and tougher than most other leathers, so it sounds like a good choice.
Martin-Hunter & Bamboo Viper, Black Widow Camo PLX, Holm-made Osprey, Toelke-SS #5 & Super D, Brackenbury Drifter, Wes Wallace Mentor, Kimber Huntsman,  Rose Oak-Wildcat II, Ocelot, Ace & 2 Heritage TDs, Bear-'67½  SK & '59 Kodiak Special - all LH

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2015, 01:53:00 PM »
I wonder if the inserts could be left out as well. Looks like an email to them is in order.

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2015, 03:13:00 PM »
I have been shooting a kangaroo crossover for about 3-4 years now. I bought mine from an Australian who had them custom made and sold some of the extras that were made. It has worn like iron. The inserts are stiff nylon under the leather. Not very big in size but flexible. You can see them in Charlie's picture. No issues with stretching. Mine is snug every time I wear it. I started with an elk big shot and jumped on this crossover when I saw them listed. Like it so much more than the big shot. Don't think you would be disappointed with this glove.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
I mo get me one of those, are they available yet?

Offline bulldog18

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Not available yet. John will let us know when.
Howard Hill Red Hawk 68" 46@28
Howard Hill Big 5, 68" 50@28
Bamabows Tribute 68" 60@28
St. Patricks Lake Mushin Styk 45@28
Black Widow PSA 60" 46@28
Black Widow PL 47@28
St. Patrick’s Lake Northern Styk 68” 44@28

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2015, 06:29:00 PM »
I wonder if my wife would like an upgrade.  When I ordered her first american Leathers glove, she argued that she could just use something cheap and that it was too much to spend on her.  When she put it on she said "Well it fits nice, we'll see."  She took one shot and then two more, the arrows went right in the kill zone and then she proceeded to say some very hurtful things to me about not accurately describing what I had been using for years. Will these work as well for a 40 pound bow?

Offline Redux

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
Well I know what I'll be getting once they are available!!!! I love my bigshot and I even made the mistake of ordering it a size small!!!!  :(

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2015, 06:52:00 PM »
I rank the shooting glove with the same importance that I do the bow.  John says they are still in production, but he will notify me as soon as I can put in an order.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
It's hard to describe how stiff the inserts are in the stalls. They certainly aren't as stiff as the inserts in the Howard Hill glove, but not nearly as soft as the regular Big Shot.

I can't use the Howard Hill glove at all, but have no problem  with the Kangaroo Crossover... or the Bison Crossover for that matter. I can take a good strong hold on the string and release is smooth and positive.

I don't think there would be any problem using this glove with a 40# bow but I don't have one to try it with so I can't say.

As far as a Kangaroo glove without inserts (I don't really think they are nylon or any kind of plastic), you'll have to talk to John about that. He's a great guy to talk to so it couldn't hurt.

All I really know is that I'm darn picky about my equipment and I'll be shooting one of these gloves for as long as I can pull a bow.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2015, 03:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:

All I really know is that I'm darn picky about my equipment and I'll be shooting one of these gloves for as long as I can pull a bow.
X2 here....   :archer:

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2015, 09:18:00 AM »
I have a call in to John about the inserts. Should know more Monday afternoon. I was informed leather is "on the way".

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
How much are they going to cost?

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©