3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: For the Elk Hunters  (Read 468 times)

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
For the Elk Hunters
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:31:00 PM »
For the experienced elk killers in the crowd I have a couple of questions.  I have been invited to chase elk in Montana this September and I am trying to get a handle on what a good elk set-up is.  I have read prior posts about the subject but I never expected to be going after elk so I did not realy pay much attention, my fault, i guess.

I have a HH L/B that draws 57lbs at my 27" draw that I am trying to get shafts tuned to.  What I have so far is a 29.5" BOP, POC weighing in just over 600grns with 190grn heads(Grizzlys if I can find any).  I have no idea what the FPS is and I am wondering if this set-up is just adequate or more than adequate to get the job done.  I limit all my archery shots to 20yds and under.

My 2nd choice would be a R/D L/B that pulls 54lbs at my 27".  I have 2016's flyin good with 175grn points. Total weight is around 550grns.

Any suggestions or advice from experienced elk killers would be greatly appreciated.

Offline just_a_hunter

• Corporate Sponsor
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: For the Elk Hunters
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:02:00 PM »
Both of your setups are plenty sufficient.

Black Widow's web site has grizzly heads for sell still.

Good luck on your hunt,

Todd
"Before you get down on yourself  because you don't have the things you want, think of all the things you DON'T want that you don't have."

You'll notice the "luckiest" elk hunters have worn out boots.

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 11:07:00 PM »
You have a good set up with your current equipment. Now if you can get the elk to cooperate.  :archer:
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline elk ninja

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 11:22:00 PM »
Both are good.  If you still want to tinker, make the 550gr arrows heavier.  A little more weight won't hurt, elk ribs can be tough.  
Mike
>>>--Semper-Fi--->

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.
-Abraham Lincoln

Offline GameGetter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:49:00 AM »
You will be fine as long as shot placement is good!
Be well, shoot well,
Dan Heitstuman

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:59:00 PM »
You're all set. Where will you be hunting?

Good luck drawing the tag! Did you put in for elk only or a deer/elk combo?
Is it September yet?!

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 01:24:00 PM »
Your set up is great - either bow will do.

But being from MI, your bigger problem is likely the same as mine was when I started elk hunting and that is midwest-whitetail-itis.  It comes from living and hunting whitetails for generations.  It is a horrible disease that is hard to get rid of and have elk success.   You can tell you have it when you get out west and, inspite of telling yourself you are not hunting whitetails, at the end of the day you only have walked a mile and not made any noise.  The good news is the cure is many trips out west hunting elk.

Good luck and you will have fun.

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Sounds like you are ready to kill elk. Put it in the right spot and enjoy the elk steak. Good luck.

Offline Diamondback59

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 02:57:00 PM »
hi buddy im a former guide outfitter  both ur set up will work fine sience you limit ur shot s to 20 yeard s olny thing id change  is as hard as the grizzly broadhead is to find is make the switch to the woodsman iv personally killed more with the sunnffer and woodsman than all the others  and they will bust through a rib  with ur set up  good luck
yep im a bowaholic,, elkaholic !!!

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:18:00 PM »
Bowfiend,  To be honest I got a call from a friend and he told me to go to the website and put in for a big game combo tag and he gave me a group number to use.  It happened realy fast and I have not talked to him since, so I am not sure of the area.  I do know that we are going to a friends 7000 acre ranch.  It was very last minute all the particulars will be worked out later. Now I just need to wait to see if I get drawn for a tag.  I can't wait, this will be my first time hunting out West.

Offline bowfiend

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:11:00 PM »
Well, having access to 7000 acres of private land is a step in the direction of success. They're aren't very many ranches of that size near me, so I'd guess you'll be in central or eastern MT. Chances are that folks will have things well scouted, even if "scouted" means only that a ranch hand tells you that he sees elk cross "here" everyday.
The group draw is a great way to go. It increases your odds without having a bunch of bonus points accumulated. Good luck with it.
Is it September yet?!

Offline blueslfb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 02:47:00 AM »
I will let you know when I find out.  It will be interesting if it is close to you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©