3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share A "TIP"  (Read 6577 times)

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
Share A "TIP"
« on: March 16, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
I'll just bet that some where along the line each of us has figured out some little trick, or been show something that makes Trad Bowhunting a bit easier or helps overcome some small or large  problem we face in the field.

As an example I fought hanging Scent wicks and keeping them where I wanted them. One day the wife says why not use clothes pins (well Duh)

Keeping Broad-heads from rusting and sharp I use Petroleum jelly. Plus they fly faster greased up.

What say You....Care ta share the WEALTH

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share A "TIP"
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 11:57:00 PM »
A quick and easy sealer for primitive arrows and sinew wraps can be made by dissolving pine pitch in denatured alcohol, straining it and apply with a small(watercolor) paint brush. I've only used pine but I believe any tree resin, hardwood or softwood, will work.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline BodarkOkie

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 12:07:00 AM »
Iron Bull,

About 25 years ago, I wanted to carry my broadheads in a back
quiver without them "clanging" around and getting dull.  I was able to purchase a large quantity (10 pounds) of "peal 'n seal" wax.  

>Sharpen broadheads: heat wax in small pan, dip one edge, lift and roll to next edge and repeat.

>Place arrows in back quiver.  When you pull arrow from quiver,
the wax usually pulls off and drops back into quiver.  If it doesn't, it's easy to remove before you shoot.

>Not only does it keep your broadheads sharp, it keep them
from rusting. (No more Petroleum Jelly.)

NOTE: That used to be my tip.  However, I have noticed that some of the archery shops are now selling "peal 'n seal" wax.

Story of my life...A Day Late and A Dollar Short!!!    :banghead:  

...Never even thought about selling it...I mean really; I had already BOUGHT it from someone else.

Anyway, it works.

Gene
If you love peace more than you love freedom, you lose!
TGMM Family of the Bow
United Bowhunters of MO-Lifetime/Founding Board
United Bowhunters of IL-Lifetime Charter
Compton Trad. Bowhunters-Lifetime Charter
PBS-Assoc.
NBEF Instructor

Offline MW

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:23:00 AM »
Here's tip:

If you go hunting with Vance and Charlie and stop at a DQ drive through do not let them place the shake order.  It will be jacked up!

The real tip is when sitting in the woods don't unpack your junk and put it around you.  You never know when you might have to chase, stalk, or otherwise depart in a hurry leaving some essential item behind.

Mitch
<---TGMM Family of the bow---<<<<

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:58:00 AM »
This should be a good thread.  Thanks for posting it.  Nothing to add right now.
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 04:44:00 AM »
I found out even 1/16" makes a big differance with your string nock....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline robtattoo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 05:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by MW:
Here's tip:

The real tip is when sitting in the woods don't unpack your junk and put it around you.  You never know when you might have to chase, stalk, or otherwise depart in a hurry leaving some essential item behind.

Mitch
Sounds familiar Mitch.......
"I came into this world, kicking, screaming & covered in someone else's blood. I have no problem going out the same way"

PBS & TBT Member

>>---TGMM, Family of the Bow--->

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »
I can't take credit for this, but if you cap your arrows, make the cap the same length as your brace height. Then, with a arrow on the string, you can tell if your brace has changed with  just a quick look. Works Great.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Matt Fowler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »
Occasionally I like to use natural ground blinds. You can position live saplings with rope, bungee cords, etc giving you more natural cover. I have also transplanted small shrubs right where I wanted them.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
My favorite tip is to use a toothpick and rubber band as an arrow holder.  Simple, cheap, and works great!
Another is when carrying a judo in my quiver (and I always do) I put it in the quiver upside down.  Helps to eliminate confusion in the heat of the moment and hopefully help prevent shooting the buck of a lifetime with a judo point!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline George D. Stout

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:01:00 AM »
I take a toothbrush and cut half the handle off.
You would be suprised at how much you use this in the field to clean off broadheads, etc.  I also wrap some dental floss around the handle and insert a sewing needle under the thread for any emergency patch jobs that may occur.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 09:21:00 AM »
Those old, used up tubes of Duco (or FletchTite) make dandy fire starters. Throw one in your pack next time you're ready to switch to a new tube.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:41:00 AM »
Camel Back hydration systems are the bomb.  No crinkling water bottles, no sloshing water,....easy acces, and a much cooler sip.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 10:28:00 AM »
something I observed at the bunny hunt this year. when shooting at bunnies or the steel monster, never call attention to yourself until AFTER you've made a successful shot. Right Mikey?   :biglaugh:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Offline d. ward

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »
You know those rubber tip protecters?? If you been hunting where it's wet or using your bow as a walking staff to croos the creek..At the end of the day you should remove them and let the end of your bow dry out....ask this 1956 Bear Polar about rubber tip protecters......bowdoc

Offline Art B

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2008, 11:11:00 AM »
My tip of the day.........don't use your bow for a walking stick!    :bigsmyl:  -ART B

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2008, 11:13:00 AM »
I always tie a very light thread about 8 inches long on the tip of my arrow right behind the broadhead.  An excellent, always visible wind detector when on stand.

Also tie about the same length piece of string to the top end loop on my longbow string.  When walking/stalking, it's always right there in front indicating the wind direction.  White or orange works good.  Will sometimes add a small piece of down to the end of the string.  Increases sensitivity and visibility.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »
On public ground, 3 dimensional groundblinds.  Or rather more 3D than usual.  You find a nice spot and want to hunt turkeys or you are a ground sitter for deer for lack of a stand or whatever.  You dont want other hunters hunting your blind.  So build it as if it was out to 7 or even 10 yards away from you.  Stick limbs into the ground so they look like small trees.  Arrange the brush to look as if it just grew that way, but spaced in a manner giving you shooting lanes and cover as needed.  In walking by it should not look like there is any blind there at all, but step into the right spot and sit down, perfect cover.    :thumbsup:

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2008, 12:21:00 PM »
When still hunting/stalking or walking to an afternoon stand, try to sound like a critter instead of a man. Space your footfalls to sound like a squirrel....use a turkey call a cluck every now and then, etc. Do what you need to to sound like you belong there. Dont be surprised if you get to your stand, and half way up the tree you notice a buck ten yards away and watching you climb....  :banghead:
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Biff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:00 PM »
Most shooters that use leather tabs have learned to use Parifin wax as a "slick" lube. After polishing the tab on your jeans, it is both slick and waterproof. BUT DON'T STOP THERE, rub the Parifin on the BACK of the tab also, it will stop persperation from your fingers going through the tab and slowing it down. My last one (Cordavan) lasted me 12 yrs. Biff
"In case you don't know me, I'm just a friend you haven't had a chance to meet yet!"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©