3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share A "TIP"  (Read 6578 times)

Offline steadman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share A "TIP"
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2008, 10:42:00 PM »
Take more than one critter arrow when hunting. This will save money on broadheads (at least one) when that stupid blue grouse flys into the tree above you. Also, take a large ziplock or plastic shopping bag , just in case you connect with said grouse. Breast grouse and cut off legs, throw in bag, put in pack, keep hunting...or go look for all your arrows!  :banghead:    :biglaugh:
" Just concentrate and don't freak out next time" my son Tyler(age 7) giving advise after watching me miss a big mulie.

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2008, 10:49:00 PM »
When setting up a new bow tune it with broadhead tipped arrows. Take the time to get great flight using broadheads,,,then switch out to field points. Unless I go to shoot a range or 3D course I practice with my Zwickey tipped arrows all year. It seems to help my mental sight picture when things count in the woods.

John III
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline hotfootTG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: March 24, 2008, 10:39:00 AM »
B'head lube. - If your quiver hood is foam filled, fill the b'head cuts in the foam with Vaseline. Quiets arrow removal and keeps the b'head lubed. If your hood doesn't have foam (like GN's and some others), replace it with rubber-based foam.

As your quarry critter is closing the distance - don't look them in the eye. Mostly look another way and occasionally peek to see where he is. Also helps if you walk up on a critter while walking & stalking. Look & act like you do not know he's there. It's some kind of an ESP thing - they know they've been had if you look at them.

Use a 10" piece of the right dia. pipe for better leverage to screw in your tree steps easier. Works on the folding type screw in's.

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: March 24, 2008, 10:40:00 AM »
Rather than spending 20-25 bucks on another bino carrier we just use the neck strap that comes with the binocs and add some 1/8" bungee cord to go around your back. Use a nylon clip at one end and secure the other end with B50, FF, or serving thread.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: March 24, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Totally agree with ESP thing.   Seen it too many times not to believe it.  I have stories myself but too many people think I'm nuts when I share them.  Course they might think that before I share them.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: March 24, 2008, 03:17:00 PM »
Need to add weight inexpensively to your carbons? Just pull the bullets from .22 ammo. 40 grains each, and they will fit snugly into your shaft if you bump them up a bit in a vise or with a pair of pliers. Just glue 'em in behind the point.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Bill Kissner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #106 on: March 24, 2008, 06:23:00 PM »
Lots of fire starting ideas have been given. Here is one way I have always made them. Next time you are using your chainsaw, save some of the sawdust. Put the sawdust in some egg cartons. Melt parafin wax in a double boiler and pour over the sawdust. When needing a fire starter simply break off the appropiate number of "eggs" from the carton.
Time spent alone in the woods puts you closer to God.

"Can't" never accomplished anything.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2008, 07:46:00 PM »
Hmmmm,Share a tip.....share a tip.....OK!

Always go heavy on the mayo!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Colt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2008, 09:25:00 PM »
Never make eye contact with the animal you intend to kill.

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2008, 10:28:00 PM »
Hoffman that ain't no tip... That's a FACT  :bigsmyl:

Offline Mojo Rising

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #110 on: March 25, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Fill a small spray bottle with hydrogen peroxide and keep in your pack. If (heaven forbid) the blood trail gets sparse you spray this on the little specks you believe to be blood, if it is blood it will foam.
TGMM Family of The Bow
Morrison ILF

Offline Eric B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2008, 09:27:00 PM »
Don't eat yellow snow. Don't mix up your doe-n-heat and your nose spray.Don't drag a deer backwards because that's the direction you need to get back to camp.Don't eat burritos before you put on waders.Last but not least - don't hit a 2" sapling 1' in front of your bow when shooting at an elk 6 yards from you. It happened to a friend of a friend on my neighbors side of my family.

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2008, 11:32:00 PM »
Just a few I have written down over the years.

1. Even if you love your occupation as much as I do as a wildlife consultant, always invest the majority of your time in your children as I fail to do.
2. Harvest adult does at the beginning of the season(Oct.) and 6 month-1.5 year old does at the end of the season (Jan.).  It will prevent a prolonged rut which results in late born fawns.
3. Be 15 minutes early.
4. Listen when someone tells you to "Be careful".
5. Antlerless bucks will always have a LESS rounded head than female deer.
6. Shoot female deer when advised.
7. Check for wasps in gates.
8. write letters to friends out of town.
9. Always keep a measuring tape handy.
10.Stop and measure a tree if it is noticeably large.
11.Learn to not get mad when playing golf.
12.Turkeys are not really as smart as they seem, they have no sense of time thus having an endless amount of time, unlike us.  
13.When hunting, be a tree.
14.Faith = Life, period.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: March 30, 2008, 12:10:00 AM »
Use sock liners inside your wool socks while on backpack hunts.  They are easier to wash and dry fast.
Guys, learn to take more camp pictures.  You will wish you had later and you never know who's last time it may be.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline Steven Matthew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: March 30, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »
1.Use dental floss to figure out the best nock point and THEN apply the little metal nocking point
2.Try to put all your regular gear in the same place every time you go into the field.  Habit is a great way to avoid forgetting something.  My glove, face mask, flashlight, neck scarf always go into the same pocket everytime. Keep your hunting pac all set up the same way, and check it once in awhile BEFORE you go into the field
3.Do use the little reflector tacks to help you find your stand in the dark. It is pointless to get up early and then stand around until light to locate the darn thing when you just walked right by it.
4.Keep an inexpensive bag of useful stuff in your trunk.  Extras of things that you might  forget or drop (gloves, hat, etc) and then items to clean up with or change into.  Extra items like heating pacs that you used and ran out of in your pack but forgot to replace, and clothing for the time that you need a non camo item to put on because you need to be somewhere after hunting that can't wait, or when youcould have used one more layer to keep comfortable.
5. The easiest wind checker is the feather on the dental floss.  A package from the fly tying supplier will last a lifetime for a few dollars.
6. If you wear glasses, be honest about it and keep an extra pair in the car or in your pack.  It is a real problem in the field or trying to get home if they are lost or broken.
7. Keep a small but useful first aide kit with you in the field.  Lots of things can happen to you.
8.  Never,never,never hunt out of a tree stand without a safety belt.  Tree stands are the number one cause of injury to bowhunters.
9. A couple of Advil before you get on stand for those long chilling, cramping, stiffening up hours of motionless sitting can be very helpful.

Offline rebelrecurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: March 30, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
Carry a flint as your means of fire.  Use your knife to create a spark anytime, even when wet, no worries about wet matches or running out of lighter fluid.  
Also, always put your knife back in its place when you need to set it down, instead of on the ground where you can easily lose track of it.
Mike

Offline Bear Heart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: March 30, 2008, 12:36:00 PM »
Go with an orange handled knife. Not the prettiest thing in the world but it doesn't look like anything else in the woods.
Traditional Bowhunters of Washington
PBS Associate Member
Jairus & Amelia's Dad
"Memories before merchandise!"

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: March 30, 2008, 10:05:00 PM »
Here are a few tips ive learned in my short three years of hunting.

Compass: Always take a compass with you. It will help in more ways than you can imagine. If you can get one that will pin on to your pack.  Pin it to the shoulder strap for quick readings. Pin it to the same side side of your string fingers. because if you dont you will rip it off when you shoot. Also buy a keychain thermometer, put it on the shoulder of your pack for quick readings and so you can acurratly tell your buddys how cold you really were.

Rattling: If you use real antlers for rattling. Soak them in water over night before you hunt. It brings back the natural sound of the antlers.

Clothes: wool clothes are gods gift to hunters. They keep you warm, are water resistant, will keep you warm even when they are soaking wet, and are naturally scent free. If they could hunt in it 200 years ago and kill animals so can i. You can wash your clothes in baking soda to make them scent free. and if you hang them out side for a couple days before a hunt the deer wont know your there.

ALSO make sure you have on good under layers because theres times it dosent matter how thick your coat is, if you dont have something close to your body that will hold in heat, you might as well be hunting in a t-shirt.

Wind: Its your best friend or your worst enemy. I dont care how much scent killer or cover scent you buy if you get the wind behind you they will bust you out.

Friends: Take a friends son or daughter hunting if permitted. Itll take some strain off them for a few hours and help you to teach a youngster. Or even just take a friend. if you have an extra bow and some old hunting clothes send em to a hunters safety course and have a ball.

Bow Travel: go to a hardware storeand buy a piece of the wight sewer pipoe its about 3/16" thick and comes in 10' sections. You  can make the worlds toughest bow cases from it even if you cant sew a skin for the inside and outside. You can put the caps on it with some foam on them and put you bow in with a thick bow sock and you wont have to worry about your tree stand falling over on it on the way to your traditional travels, my own bad exsperienThe same does for arrows. 4" diameter for 1pc long bows. 6" for 1pc recurves , short 6" piece for 3 piece bows, and a  short 6" piece for arrows you can usually make a 10' stick make one "long"bow holder and an arrow holder from the rest  or couple of take down holders.

:Ibruprophen "ADVIL" It is a hunters best friend itll take away that dull headache from sitting in the cold all day or from hiking with that pack on you all day. Plus it will help with swelling and inflamation.

Generousity:If you have something extra you can give someone who needs it dont ask for money "unless you need it" just give it to them. For exaple if theres a youngster who wants to shoot but dosent have the money and your hording a collection of bows. just remember you only need one bow.    

Knowledge: It should always be given away freely. dont be stingy with what you know even if its your favorite hunting spot. I personally dont care if someone gets in one of my stands as long as when i show up to use it they step down. Because nothing on this earth is yours its just loaned to you while your here.

Trash: If you can pack it in you can pack it out. There is also nothing wrong with caring someone elses trash out if you see it.  

Arrows: ALWAYS watch were your arrow flies because the second you take your eye off it it will disapere and hide unground for an hour then pop back up right under your nose. After you shoot find a land mark to mark where about your arrow flew.

Alright ill shut up for now good luck and good tips  make good friends
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: March 30, 2008, 11:31:00 PM »
When hunting from a treestand, always carry a judo pointed arrow. When you shoot a deer, shoot the judo into the ground at the last spot/direction you saw the deer head. Things look different when your back on the ground and the judo arrow will put you on track.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #119 on: March 30, 2008, 11:49:00 PM »
Need to add weight inexpensively to your carbons? Just pull the bullets from .22 ammo. 40 grains each, and they will fit snugly into your shaft if you bump them up a bit in a vise or with a pair of pliers. Just glue 'em in behind the point.

SCATTERSHOT, Do they fit snug after several shots?
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©