3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share A "TIP"  (Read 6575 times)

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share A "TIP"
« Reply #120 on: March 31, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
Screw in Points: Coat the threads with bowstring wax to keep points snug.

Arrows: Use fine steel wool and a highly polished coat of car wax on your arrows.  They will be super smooth for less noise on the draw across the shelf.

String Silencers: Wool yarn from a fabric store will allow you to make your own inexpensive string silencers.  Saves money, and it allows you to pick the color of your string wraps and puffs.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline celticknot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #121 on: April 05, 2008, 02:38:00 PM »
always bring a roll of tp not just some in a baggie but a whole roll. To save space just put it in a bagt and sit on it itll squish down a good bit. Its always better to have more than you need, because you never know when those burritos from last night are going to hit you or how many times theyll hit you.
Ohio Society of Traditional Archers #830

Tracey "TREE" Trickett 2 Pricly curves 3pc & pricly ash longbow won @ Great Ohio Rabbit Hunt

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Bowferd, they should stay in indefinitely if they are snug to start with and are glued in place with good glue.
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: April 05, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »
What, the burritos?  :confused:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline Beepy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »
I have to second the orange handled knife!  Why in the world would you have a camo'ed knife, you put it down and spend 20 mins looking for it!

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2008, 10:35:00 PM »
If wearing a union suit under your clothing it is advisable to purchase one that has take down flaps on the rear.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline SCATTERSHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #126 on: April 05, 2008, 10:44:00 PM »
Killy, there is no glue to hold a determined burrito!
"Experience is a series of non - fatal mistakes."

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #127 on: April 05, 2008, 10:53:00 PM »
SCATTERSHOT, more flour, less water.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Toxophilite

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2008, 12:04:00 PM »
Lessons learned "The Hard Way":

1. Always carry an extra bowstring with a preset nock point!
2. Get an 8' square "space blanket" & stick it in the bottom of your backpack.  Very compact. Many, many uses...It can be a rain shelter, makes a great ground cloth (shiny side up), can help you stay warm (shiny side in), and if you get real trouble, you can lay it in an open area (shiny side up) and it can be spotted from a mile up...
3. Carry a couple fresh butane lighters in a closed zip-lock bag. Beats other fire starting devices.
4. To keep feet warm, wear a pair of over-the-calf stretch socks under your wool socks (adds no bulk and really works).
I'm only as good as my first shot.

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »
Duct tape.

About 3 feet of it wrapped around the barrel of a used up Bic Pen or a cut end from an arrow shaft can work miracles in the field.

It can be used in conjunction with a sanitary pad as a blood stopper/wound closer in the event of a nasty cut.

Torn into strips lengthwise and folded sticky side together lengthwise, it can be used as a substitute for cord.

The possibliities are limitless.

A small bottle of hand sanitizer is great for it's intended use, and, due to its high alcohol content, it can also be used as an accelerant for starting fires. Pretty little blue flame.
Remember the Alamo!

Offline Bill Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2008, 09:46:00 AM »
To prevent bruising, after eating BBQ, wash your hands before attemping to string your bow.

Offline Kingwouldbe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2008, 01:54:00 PM »
Super glue will close a cut right now, I know first hand.

Offline waiting4fall

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2008, 07:21:00 PM »

Offline JockC

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2008, 02:02:00 AM »
Take a butane lighter, stretch an o-ring under the trigger to prevent leaks, and wrap it with duct tape.  On the last couple of wraps, cover up a needle and a scalpel blade.  You might want to wrap a cord loop against the lighter, too, and keep it around your neck in the event you ever have to swim a river or run hard from a bear (yeah, you're not supposed to, I know, but it can make a _lot_ of sense).
Jock
TGMM Family of the Bow
Hunting should be hard.

Offline stmpthmpr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2008, 03:41:00 AM »
I use Simoniz(sp?)car wax on both my bow and my wood arrow shafts. Extra helpin on tips under rubber protectors. Great extra water protection and great for penetration and pulling arras outta stuff they shouldnt a hada been stuck in.

Buy a can of Napa brand silicone spray and spray down yer feathers. Werks better and lasts longer than that stupid powder and whatnot. Kodiak island in November was a great proving ground.

Take a five inch chunk of 1" wood dowel and drill hole through the center from one end to the other with five foot 1/4" braided nylon rope running through it with knot on either side of dowel to keep it in place. Drag logs for bear bait, drag deer, hold mooses hind quarter back while your buddy gets bloody, etc, etc.

Own two pair of polypropelene long undies. One lightweight and one mountain weight. Wear whichever fits the season under yer woolies. If you sweat or get wet, shed the woolies and the lightwieght poly's dry like right now. If it's cold ya cant beat the heavy weight ones under wool for stayin warm.

Dont pee on an electric fence!!

Only shoot skunks when theyre lookin atchya. If theyre winkin atchya, run like hell!!

Offline jamie2778

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
use rubber tire inner tube as a fire starter it burns very hot and for a long time

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
CARRY A THERMACELL
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
Ive got one more, get comfortabe when you first git into your stand so you dont have to move around every five minutes to get comfortabe
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Turkey call, when moving through alot of leaves and noise is going to happen, stop and give some soft yelps or clucks.  This also work on stand when you see deer come in cautiously.  

Knife, I carry my knife one of two ways, if walking alot and have flashlight on hip it is taped to it, also my pull rope for stand is wrapped around the flashlight, with plenty to spare for tieing up brush on treestand or ground blind.  Or around my neck which is where I like it, that way I know it is there when needed.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
two other tips,  One when out in hard weather camping/hunting hang wet clothes outside to freeze, wake up and shake off, nice and dry.

Two, If at all possible, use a flashlight with a 9 volt battery or have one in your pack, add some 000 steel wool, and bam have fire stater.  Just get your tinder and all together, hold lighter with wool on negative and touch to positive in tinder blow lightly and there you go.  Or you can carry a striker steel.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©