3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share A "TIP"  (Read 6576 times)

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share A "TIP"
« Reply #140 on: June 22, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
Scent blocking gear isn't worth much if you wear it while driving to your stand, smoking, sitting around the campfire, etc. Leather boots, of any kind, leave a scent trail. Rubber boots will as well - if you wear them while pumping gas.

Offline KPaul

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #141 on: June 22, 2008, 08:03:00 PM »
ALWAYS wear a safety harness when hanging a tree stand or hunting from one.
Use a static line with a prussic knot when climbing into your stand.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Men occasionally stumble over the truth,but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

Offline JDice

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2008, 08:53:00 PM »
In cold weather - keep anything with batteries and that pack of unscented wipes inside your coat - the batteries will last longer and the wipes won't freeze.

Offline toddster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2008, 12:31:00 PM »
Bino's, go to wally world or local fabric store, get a package of 1/4" flat bungee fabric (they use it in clothes for stretch pants).  cut about 1.5" of it, put it on bino's and there you go.  I wear mine over my head and shoulder like a map case, will keep it tight against side and stretch easy to glass with.

Never try to think like a wounded animal, they will do the opposite.  Follow the blood trail, when you find good blood, look for a track, study it, then when you loose blood for while, you can follow the track, till you pick blood up again, found 4 deer this way.  8 out of 10 times that perfect shot from the stand, is not, take you time, wait a minamal of 20 minutes, then take your time.  You put alot of effort, time and hard work to get this far.  Relax, and take your time and enjoy the tracking job, ensure to look up and around before moving to next step, they wood's will help you if you pay attention.

Offline always89s boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2008, 06:12:00 PM »
after you know the deer is a buck dont look at his antlers any more just look at the spot your wanting to hit
Aim small, miss small

I dont miss i give warning shots

Offline Boar Hog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: June 24, 2008, 06:09:00 AM »
ttt

Offline Dutchman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: June 24, 2008, 12:11:00 PM »
Originally posted by always89s boy:
CARRY A THERMACELL
And don't forget the refills!
Remember the Alamo!

Offline madness522

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: June 24, 2008, 12:47:00 PM »
When you are walking thru the woods whether it be stalking or sneaking or whatever don't carry your broadhead tipped arrow nocked.  I had a buddy doing this and he got tangled up in a vine and the arrow was knocked off and the broadhead cut a strand or two of this string.  Which is only slightly better than it sticking in you.
Barry Clodfelter
TGMM Family of the Bow.

Online Archie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #148 on: June 24, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
If at all possible, always remove broadheads when working on arrows.  At about 13 years old, I had an arrow go through my leg in my garage.  Someone else   was re-fletching, I took a step, and I didn't see nor feel it until it was coming out the other side of my pant leg.
Life is a whole lot easier when you just plow around the stump.

2006  64" Black Widow PMA
2009  66" Black Widow PLX
2023  56" Cascade Archery Whitetail Hawk
2023  52" Cascade Archery Golden Hawk Magnum

Offline hill boy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: June 24, 2008, 11:46:00 PM »
the first shot presented that you know you can make is the one to take especially a whitail.there may not be another.Be good to the land and it will be good to you.  :thumbsup:
Your best shot is only as good as your next one!

Offline Bakes168

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2008, 09:16:00 PM »
Carry a judo point while on stand. You can mark the spot where a deer was, practice at a leaf. Or shoot that noisy squirrels that you thought was a deer   :mad:  and Viola! fried squirrel!  ;)  

And never stick your knife in a tree when done gutting deer. You'll only remember it after the walk back to the truck.   :knothead:  

Bakes
"A hunt based only on trophies taken falls short of what the ultimate goal should be...time to commune with your inner soul as you share the outdoors with the birds, animals, and fish that live there"
-Fred Bear

James 2:19-20

USMC Infantry

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2008, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
Those old, used up tubes of Duco (or FletchTite) make dandy fire starters. Throw one in your pack next time you're ready to switch to a new tube.
That is an awesome idea.

Offline Lashbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2008, 11:36:00 PM »
When setting up a treestand, remove the lower two foot pegs when you leave. With any luck you wont find a stand poacer the next morning when you try to hunt it.
Even if you reclaim your stand you know the tail tucking stand stealer will not leave quiet or scent free

Make sure to bring the two pegs when your hunting
Lash

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
Waxed nylon decoy line makes a very good treestand haul line.  
It's also nice for piecing/securing together natural ground blinds.
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #154 on: June 26, 2008, 12:16:00 AM »
tyvek-the white fabric they wrap houses in has the same properties as goretex.  carry a 5 by 5 shhet in your pack for an instant poncho, ground cloth, shelter marker.  Construction guys will give you a chunk for the asking.
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Swamp Pygmy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »
This tip may not help everyone, but it will help some of you dramatically. Literally may change your scouting forever. Sorry its a long post but it's worth it.

Google Maps. It's free. They have satellite images; and much different than one you buy like a poster. Unfortunately it depends on where you live, that will dictate clarity of imagery. But where I hunt is semi urban (public land set aside in increasingly urban areas)and the images are clear enough to see different color cars parked in your driveway. Seriously. Try it.

I hunt public land from 17,000 acres to over 50,000 acres as well as smaller public lands with tricky property boundaries bordered by parks. The zoom capability to see objects as small as cars is unbelievably useful when trying to find areas isolated from hunters and far from parking but with easy foot access. Also making sure my spots aren't near a road or trail I don't know about that might spook deer.

It would not be impossible but it would literally take years of grid style foot work and note taking though thicket to do what those maps can. You can find one oak in a stand of pines, determine soil lines to see what will grow where, duck ponds in the middle of the woods, find higher elevation in swamps. Everything you could want really. If you hunt out of state I can't even imagine how useful it would be to scout from home.

The next step is to go and locate the prime areas you hunt, mature oaks, permission, hickory, different aged pines, open spots in the woods, etc. There are about six different useful zoom levels. Use ALL of them. Study the canopy of what you want to hunt. Every time you zoom you can find different types of edge habitat, funnels, etc. that will draw deer, and if your quality is good enough on a higher zoom you can even see heavily used trails like pigs make. On lower zooms you can find different types of edges of forest canopy.

The trick is to learn all the different canopy types so you can distinguish what you want to know. Young understory from old, thicket from grass, the different types of trees in your area. You get the picture. Go there on foot first and then study it VERY WELL until you can identify it. All trees will look different. Oak from pine, grass from thicket, etc.  At first it seems daunting but its actually pretty easy. And once you know how to do it you know exactly what every square acre of habitat looks like without having to go there.  

It's still very much fair chase. You can't see rub lines or deer paths or anything like that. But you can see what type of habitat is where, funnels and the like, and other useful info. And when you get there on foot you make your strategy from there.

I hunt the jungle like swamps of south Louisiana and its very impenetrable at points. You have to know where you're going in it. Wandering roving scouting is pretty much impossible in deciding a spot when you have 80,000 acres or so you hunt.

I really only tell you guys this tip because you're mostly traditional. A rifle hunter with friends and time on his hands could really abuse an area like this.
South Louisiana Longbow Shooter

The only trophy you'll ever bring home is a good time. The rest is just meat. -SP

Offline NightHawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2008, 04:15:00 PM »
not sure if this has been posted as this is a long thread

I use unscented tampons as scent dispencers remove the tampon spray scent on it and hang in a tree. comes with it's own hanging string.

fire starters, I use the discarded egg cartons (cardboard) I use leftover wood shavings or small animal bedding works fill the egcarton with sawdust then melt parafin wax all over the egg carton. best fire starter have ever used even started fires in a heavy downpour

always carry plastic cable ties numerous uses
1) Gen. 21:20
And God was with the lad, he grew, and he dwelt in the wilderness, and he became an archer
2)The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2008, 05:08:00 PM »
when sitting on the ground wating for deer to turn up never try and get a bar to eat out of your day pack i did and what a laugh had a doe come to within 4 to 5 yards and i dont know who crapped first me or the deer she looked at me i looked at her then all hell broke lose gone as quick as a flash  :scared:  ha next time i will know better. jeff
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »
I learned this one the hard way.  NEVER rattle before you have an arrow nocked.

When you shoot a doe from a family group, dont get down get out the grunt call and you'll probably shoot another within 30 minutes.

Deer dont always know what spooked them, if you hit the grunt call or a bleat call while their heading out they will sometimes come right back.  Seen more than one get a free ride to the truck that way.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©