3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share A "TIP"  (Read 6579 times)

Offline TRADITIONAL ONLY

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share A "TIP"
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2008, 05:28:00 PM »
the baby wipes are nice untill they FREEZE!

carry a book. if your like me and no mattr how hard you try, you still fall asleep on stand, READ! it works!

learn to shoot barefinger. youll never forget your glove/tab if you dont need one...
If its brown its down; thats my motto.

"The great questions of the day are decided... by blood and iron"  Otto von Bismark

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2008, 05:40:00 PM »
Those of you who use the wind puffer bottles. Use the Scent free foot powder to refill them. Thats all thats in them anyhow and you can fill about ten bottles for the price of one.
I agree with Trad Only, nothing worse then frozen baby wipes when nature calls.   :help:
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Kevin Bahr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2008, 07:05:00 PM »
I have two, both taken and applied from hunting buddies:  First, from Steve H., when cresting arrows, I now make sure I put a stripe about 10" behind the broadhead.  That way, when I find a broken off arrow on the blood trail, I know exactly how much arrow is in the animal.
And from Ron Lang: put some reflective material on your backpack straps in front and somewhere on your back.  Makes you more visible walking in the dark, if you aren't already using a flashlight.

Offline Earl E. Nov...mber

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2008, 07:23:00 PM »
If you still use screw in steps, a short piece of PVC pipe makes a good tool to protect your hand while screwing them in.

Carry a walking stick and use it. Handiest little extra I have found.

Best one I have found lately is a 9" chain saw on a 12' pole.. Greatest little tree stand prepping tool you'll find. (Probably not what you want if you're prepping during season, but great this time of year)
Many have died for my freedom.
One has died for my soul.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2008, 07:45:00 PM »
Always take a pair of binoculars
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline 72highboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2008, 08:56:00 PM »
It seems to me that everyone knows to get to their tree stand before first light while it is still dark. I have found that the you should also get to the high spot you want glass from while it is still dark. This may be a couple mile hike in the dark but you will be amazed at how quickly animals bed down after first light. Of course, this usually only applies to areas in the west where you can cover some country with your binoculars.

Offline jimneye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
It seems inevetable that once I have used my climber stand to settle in twenty feet up that I will drop a glove or hat.  I now carry a large treble hook (with the barbs and points dulled) attached to a string to retrieve droped items.
I've hunted almost every day of my life.....the rest were just wasted

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2008, 09:27:00 AM »
I carry the essentials, TP, small bottle of hand sanitizer and unscented baby wipes in a ziplock.  Multiple uses.

On hunting trips we carry a small squeeze bottle of woolite and a 2 gallon ziplock. A cold water wash  and a washing machine. Just fill the ziplock with cold water and a small amount of woolite and let it stand for 30 minutes and rinse. Never know when you need clean socks!!!

Wife  and I used this technique on our cross country bicycle trip.

Offline Russ Clagett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2008, 12:57:00 PM »
On longer hunts or bivy situations I also carry a waterproof bag. Two reasons, one is, once your stuff is wet, it's just wet and that's it. the other is laundry. Empty the bag, find a few smaller round rocks, put in some water and dirty clothes, and shake the hell out of it. Soap helps but is not necessary.

Also tampons are awesome firestarters too, as well as excellent first aid items as they are meant to stop bleeding. Waterproof matches are a bad lie, carry a LIGHTER.

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2008, 02:04:00 PM »
Use an antipersperant on your feet (NOT a deoderant). They will stay much warmer.   :campfire:  

To make a more permanent foot stand for your treesuit measure the circumference where you want it and use the formula circumference equals 3.14 times diameter. Make it out of 3/4 inch plywood with some L brackets.
Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline adirondack46r

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2008, 03:13:00 PM »
Change up your schedule on stand. Even if I take a whole day off, my preferred schedule DURING THE RUT is to get on stand arouond 10:00 and stay until around 2, take a break to get some chow back at the truck, and back to the stand for the last 2 hours of the day.

Gone are the days when I can sit for 10 or 11 hours straight. This schedule is based on my 30 years of actual deer sighting times. I know you can see them any time, but this schedule keeps me rested, focused and on stand during (in my experience) the most productive hours.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2008, 03:29:00 PM »
birthday candles to start fires
dental floss
needle
bandaids
matches
fishhooks
mirror
flat whistle
taped up watertight in an Altoid container
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2008, 03:44:00 PM »
Not every bow can handle Fast Flight Strings.
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline hickstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
I found the peel-n-stick chemical heat packs for back pain worked awesome at keeping your whole body warm when put under your layers, stuck around the area of your kidneys.

zip ties...as said bfore...awesome for tagging animals, tying stuff to packs, impromptu blinds, and strapping branches to a treestand. I've even used them to hold back branches in shooting lanes but ziptying them to other branches.  cut them out when you leave (hunt a lot on public land where clipping branches/trees is a no no)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Offline Billy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2008, 05:29:00 PM »
Read the posts on Tradgang....  :knothead:  then spun and bounced away...
TGMM Family of the Bow

Taker of the Founders Red Pill

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2008, 05:31:00 PM »
This is more of a hunting technique than a gear or gadget tip . I hunt mostly alone and early season when bucks seem to be more interested in rattling as a feeling out period with other bucks I set up my stand in a hopefully productive spot near a bedding area and then sneak in and rattle from the ground about 25-30 yards up=wind from my stand , sometimes I rattle with 2 horns and other times I mimic a buck rubbing a tree with just 1 horn . I do this for only a couple minutes then beat feet to my  treestand which I have alredy hooked my bow to the string and I climb up and pull my bow up and hook the antlers to the string and drop them down to the ground and wait . Bucks used to come directly to the tree I was in looking up  when I rattled from tree and now they seem to more often sneak into the spot I rattled from ignoring where I am sitting . It has given me several sitings , a few shots and even a few deer . Also if he hangs up or walks out without getting a shot just pull lightly on the string and the antlers will tinkle a little and get his attention and he may come around , seems to work sometimes for me . It is also a good idea to call from a scrape , either natural or manmade this way when he comes in he has lots of options . Stand placement is critical but it deffintely works , sometimes , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
Take the insides out of some fig neutons and put a glump some place conspicuous near your camp. When you and your buddies are near it exclaim "Oh wow some possum crap!" Then scoop it up and eat it in front of them...
   :biglaugh:  

Paul
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Offline trapperDave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
:biglaugh:

Offline Selfyewdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2008, 09:44:00 AM »
My tip is for scent liquid, whether it be doe in heat or a cover scent.  I like to put a cotton ball in the bottom of those little black plastic film canisters that have the grey tops.  I put a little of the liquid scent onto the cotton in the canister and then put the lid on it.  I will make about 3 of them and take them with me in the woods,remove the lids, and strategically place the canisters around me.  
When done, just put the lid back on....no mess, no stink, works great.
74" Pacific Yew Classic English Yew Longbow 60#@29"

62" Pronghorn 3pc takedown 60#@28"

68" Custom Hickory longbow 52#@28"

Louisiana Traditional Bowman member, ARTAC member, BLBS member

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
Take a kid hunting. You'll have a partner always ready to go and someone to help with the dragging.    ;)
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©