3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Share A "TIP"  (Read 6583 times)

Offline killinstuff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Share A "TIP"
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2008, 10:58:00 AM »
I put paste wax on my arrows (I shoot wood but it works on non-wood arrows too) every so often, even the points and broadheads. Stops rust, helps penetration, saves wear on the arrow shelf and arrows pull easier out of targets
lll

Offline barebow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
Scent wicks: Take the lid from a film canister and cut a small slice through it. Take a tampon and insert the string through the slit in the lid (from inside to outside). Now poor your favorite scent or lure into the film canister. Now put the tampon in the film canister. It will absorb all of the fluid. When you’re ready to hunt, pull the lid off the canister and hang the string on a tree branch and set the canister on the ground below it.

Wind Indicators: Again, take the lid from a film canister and cut a small x-slice through it. Stuff the canister with milk weed fibers (free of seeds). Pull some of the milk weed fibers through the lid. Install the lid. Now just pull some milk weed out and let it fly. After that, a small portion of milk weed should remain through the lid and ready for the next time you need it.

Heat packs: Cut the back pockets off of an old pair of jeans. Sew them into the inside of the back of a hunting shirt or bibs, one by each kidney, or just one pocket in the center where your spine is. Put some heat packs in the pockets. You’ll stay nice and toasty, especially when you lean you’re back up against a tree and press those hot packs against you.
"Killing an animal is intrinsic to the hunt. It shouldn't be glorified, but conducted with respect and reverence..." - Gene Wensel _ Primal Dreams

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2008, 12:09:00 PM »
Try using a small piece of masking tape, wrapped around your string for knocking point. Cover with Clear fingernail protector. Easily replaced and non abrasive.  :bigsmyl:

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
Borrowed this from another website but had to post it for Vermonster.

Sportsmen's Tip of the Day
It is never a bad decision to take a young person hunting or fishing. We live in a day and time when our children are absorbed in technology--computers, video games, music. They need to experience time in God's creation. If you take part in a hunting or fishing club, try to lead the club to have a reduced rate or free membership fror kids so that they, too, can share our passion and appreciation for God's creation.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
A tip to live by Chris.
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »
Originally posted by Selfyewdave:
My tip is for scent liquid, whether it be doe in heat or a cover scent.  I like to put a cotton ball in the bottom of those little black plastic film canisters that have the grey tops.  I put a little of the liquid scent onto the cotton in the canister and then put the lid on it.  I will make about 3 of them and take them with me in the woods,remove the lids, and strategically place the canisters around me.  
When done, just put the lid back on....no mess, no stink, works great.
If you tape some plastic clothes pins on the canister you can simply clip them to branches where you want them.  The plastic won't hold your scent like wooden pins will.  If you use reflective tape you can leave them there overnight with the lids on and have marking for your stand in the dark the next morning, or help finding them if you get down after dark.

Offline ghost rob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2008, 04:54:00 PM »
I know that everyone likes to get a new bow now and then but if you stick to one bow (as long as it's a shooter) you'll be suprised how automatic shooting can become under hunting sitiuations. You might even have some money left over for other stuff too. Yeah right!!!!

Offline Hattrick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2008, 08:50:00 PM »
FINGER DRAG ON STRING? BAD RELEASE? HERES THE FIX,STRECTH UR FINGERS BACKWARDS DAILY = SMOOTH~~RELEASE!!!
Bull

Offline [email protected]

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2008, 10:48:00 PM »
Want to take a nap when elk hunting?

Take a piece of bug-proof netting, put it over your hat when laying down and the flies can't crawl all over your face.  Also wear a pair of light weight goves, keeps you from feeling the flies when they land on your hands.

Hunting in really wet weather?  Put a road flare in your pack, it will get a fire going under any conditions!

Bob
Beware of all enterprises that require a new suit.

Don't give up what you want most for what you want now.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
Camel Back hydration systems are the bomb. No crinkling water bottles, no sloshing water,....easy acces, and a much cooler sip.
And it's convenient enough for a guy to actually stay hydrated, rather than digging in a pack that is out of reach on your back to find a water bottle...

Put away the petroleum jelly.  Wipe down sharpened broadheads with Chap-Stik.  Easier, cleaner and you're less likely to cut your fingers.

Not originally my idea, but darned if I can remember who to give credit to.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
Legolas, that was not a very good tip. You should have at least recommended pooper scooper.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 20, 2008, 12:43:00 AM »
OK I've decided to share a secret with ya. When you get down to the end of that TP roll at home, and there's only like 2 sheets left, and you know your old lady is gonna jump up and down like a kangaroo just gettin ready to have a kid.
Be a gentleman and replace the receptacle with a brand new full spankin roll. Take the dribble and rap it around an arra of your choice, lil spit will hold it.
You will not only be a hero at home, but a gentleman in the woods.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 20, 2008, 02:23:00 AM »
Vermonster you said it, #1 tip is to take your kids with you. Priceless............
You know when you are gutting and skinnin your animal those pesky flies and sometimes bees come out of now where.  They go for an area on your animal that is the bloodiest.  Well, I carry a can of black pepper & put a dash on the bloodshot area. They don't like it & it pre-seasons the meat.
I also like to carrya  single bed sheet in my pack.  When you are skinning your animal lay out the sheet and roll the animal over on it. You will be suprised and happy how much it keeps the dirt and other stuff of it.
Part of my survival kit includes a signal mirror.  Well a good signal mirror has a whole in the middle of it. The best one I have found is a CD.  I still have one in my pack from the days AOL use to mail them out with free minutes to use on the internet.
Another way to keep your sharp broadheads from rusting, other that petroleum jelly or wax is take a black sharpie and run it across the sharpened blade edge.    
I carry a pair of latex gloves in my pack, great when guttin.
Someone mentioned bring your Binos, well to enhance on that, use the Bino Buddy. You will always have them ready and they don't get in the way.
For a fire starter, all of you guys that shoot woodies, keep the end cuts and put them in a baggie.  And if you turn your point & nock ends with a hand taper tool, put the shavings in the same bag. Carry a windproof/waterproof lighter.

Ok, I am done rambling on for now......
Brock

Offline B M A

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2008, 02:24:00 AM »
Originally posted by BullMtnArtworks:
Vermonster you said it, #1 tip is to take your kids with you. Priceless............

You know when you are gutting and skinnin your animal those pesky flies and sometimes bees come out of now where.  They go for an area on your animal that is the bloodiest.  Well, I carry a can of black pepper & put a dash on the bloodshot area. They don't like it & it pre-seasons the meat.
I also like to carry a  single bed sheet in my pack.  When you are skinning your animal lay out the sheet and roll the animal over on it. You will be suprised and happy how much it keeps the dirt and other stuff of it.
Part of my survival kit includes a signal mirror.  Well a good signal mirror has a whole in the middle of it. The best one I have found is a CD.  I still have one in my pack from the days AOL use to mail them out with free minutes to use on the internet.
Another way to keep your sharp broadheads from rusting, other that petroleum jelly or wax is take a black sharpie and run it across the sharpened blade edge.    
I carry a pair of latex gloves in my pack, great when guttin.
Someone mentioned bring your Binos, well to enhance on that, use the Bino Buddy. You will always have them ready and they don't get in the way.
For a fire starter, all of you guys that shoot woodies, keep the end cuts and put them in a baggie.  And if you turn your point & nock ends with a hand taper tool, put the shavings in the same bag. Carry a windproof/waterproof lighter.

Ok, I am done rambling on for now......
Brock

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2008, 09:34:00 AM »
For a pull rope to hoist your bow just tie a small loop in the end. Run it between the string and limb and then place the loop over the limb tip. No clips to scratch your bow.
 I also made a rope storage device using lexan but you can use 1/4 thick plywood.make it about 2inches by 6inches cut a vee in each end,saw several slots that will fit your string or rope snug in one of the long sides.Wrap your string around it the vee's keep it from sliding off the sides and just pull the string into one of the slots to keep it from coming loose. I also put a wrist strap on it and let it hang from my wrist climbing or lowering the bow so if it slips from my hand it wont fall.
 Several great tips here.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
If you want to try sight pins on your bow a good temperary idea is to tape a strip of cork or foam to the front of the riser and stick a straight pin in this for a sight pin. easily adjusted
I havent tried that yet just saw it in a book.
Mike
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline MWhitehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
Keep an old armgaurd in your pack.
The day you forget yours, it'll sure as heck be cold, and that extra heavy jacket sleeve is bound to get in the way of your bowstring... Not that Id know or nuthin'...
Matt Whitehair
"'Traditional Archer' is not a term to be taken lightly. It demands respect for ethics, high standards, and an overall, instinctive love for the sport."
-Jim Chinn

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2008, 09:55:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bowferd:
OK I've decided to share a secret with ya. When you get down to the end of that TP roll at home, and there's only like 2 sheets left, and you know your old lady is gonna jump up and down like a kangaroo just gettin ready to have a kid.
Be a gentleman and replace the receptacle with a brand new full spankin roll. Take the dribble and rap it around an arra of your choice, lil spit will hold it.
You will not only be a hero at home, but a gentleman in the woods.
Good thing I wasn't drinking anything just now   :thumbsup:

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2008, 12:12:00 PM »
My tip,  For the greenhorns and stubborns alike (me at one time but learned from it), Make sure you listen to a seasoned archer when they tell you to sit somewhere no matter how much you think you know or feel there is a better place.....  :thumbsup:
did I mention Frank got meat in the freezer that day...at least I got to skin and butcher it, he was'nt gonna get that too  ;)

and the extra squares or TP also comes in handy for wiping egg off your face.   :thumbsup:

Offline bbassi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 20, 2008, 01:46:00 PM »
Originally posted by ONE SHOT:

You don't ever want to carry an open 9-Volt battery in your pocket thou along with your car keys, things might get REALLY HOT FAST. Might even receive a severe burn let alone catch your pants on FIRE....ONE SHOT...   :D      :D      :D  
I had this happen to me with a 9 volt and some pennies I had in my pocket. By the time I realized what was happening I had a pretty good burn on my thigh. Sounds funny until it actually happens.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscripti catapultas habebunt.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©