3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: making long bow better  (Read 457 times)

Offline polhemus

• Trad Bowhunter
making long bow better
« on: March 17, 2008, 06:02:00 AM »
When making a long bow. Is it better to have the bottom limb a bit stiffer than the top or do you want them to pull the same?  Also can anyone recomend a good finsh to use. I dont have a big enough air compressor to use a gun so Ive been using minwax poly. Its the best Ive found thus far, but I cant find it in a flat finish.
Thanks guys!

Offline arrowslinger22

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: making long bow better
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 06:31:00 AM »
I like to have the bottom limb stiffer, there's more stress to that limb during the shot.  I only make all wood bows and I use Teak Oil finish and a good wood furniture wax.  No shine and easy to put on a new coat with the wax.
Only when the last tree has died
and the last river been poisoned
and the last fish been caught
will we realize that we cannot eat money

Offline draco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 12:33:00 AM »
With one finger over you actually put more stress on the upper limb as your hand is above center on the string. By having a slightly weaker upper limb it will equal out the stress on the limbs.

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:09:00 AM »
When the lower limb is stiffer or in other words the tiller of the lower limb is shorter than that of the upper limb by 3/16"-1/4", the Bow will recover much faster in your bow hand, and the hand shock will be less noticeable. The Bow just simply balances so much nicer after the shot, when tillered in this matter. A bow tillered this way will be more enjoyable to shoot...ONE SHOT...  :D    :D    :D    :)

Offline LAR43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:18:00 AM »
Minwax Helmsman, it's poly. Comes in gloss & semi. A couple coats then wipe down w/a fine scotchbrite.

Larry
Age brings us the priceless gift of experience and knowledge. . . Priceless, but not free.

Offline Glenn Newell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »
If your bow has an offset handle and the lower limb is 1.25 inches shorter then the top limb then you need a stiffer lower limb or positive tiller. If you are making bow with equal length limbs then you will need to tiller the bow differently. Bows have to be tilered as to where you place your hand on the the bow and string, change those positions and tiller will have to change because you are placing different stresses on the limbs. When you shoot split fingers or three under the tiller will have to change to compensate for hand placement on the string...Glenn...

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©