3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Howard Hill Broadhead Test Results :)  (Read 2713 times)

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Howard Hill Broadhead Test Results :)
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2008, 11:45:00 AM »
Cool thread!!!
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 21, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Whats the specs on these Hill heads? Width and length and wt?Cool thread. RC

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »
RC:  I see you're considering a few Hill heads to go with the new Cheetah you just ordered.  Howard Hill Archery sells two sizes -- 11/32 are billed as weighing 160 grains, but I have several older heads that are 175 grains before sharpening.  They're about 3 7/16 long and 1 1/8 inch wide.  HH also sells a 5/16 head.  Those are listed as 145 grains, and all the heads I have in that size are that weight.  Those are 3 inches long and one-inch wide.  They shoot real well.  I've never noticed noise from them.  A bit hard for me to get really sharp though.

Offline laddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2008, 04:39:00 PM »
Some of the 145s have very high rockwell hardness, for my daughters I used a dremmel tool to get them thinned down. I always wanted to get the 5/16'' pieces and parts to make single bevels, but hey have never been in reorder so I could get them.  Once you get them thinned down they can be sharpened with a Smiths sharpener very nicely.
 I wonder if it is legal to cut the back of the blade off it serves no person other than making the broad head legal in nonbarbed states.  Hills don't pull out of a deer the way are anyway.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2008, 07:56:00 PM »
Larry:  I also have difficulty getting the larger heads as sharp as I want them.  Appreciate a tutorial, if you're so inclined.  Can do it off-line, so to speak.  Just send me an email.  Wisconsin is a non-barb state so couldn't cut off the backs here.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2008, 02:00:00 AM »
I sharpen them with a round chainsaw file, going from back to front, as if using a flat file.  The smaller diameter of the round file helps keep surface contact with the blade through the concave area.  they get scary sharp this way, a very thin jagged edge.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »
Thanks, Nathan.  I'll give that a try.  Now if I can only find my chain saw file(s).  I know I have more than one.  Can never seem to find one when I want one, though.  :D

Offline Pete Patterson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2008, 01:49:00 PM »
I've often wondered if the file sharpening process, which takes off a portion of the ferrule, weakens the ferrule enough to cause breaking.

I use the Ready Edge.  It straddles the edge of the broadhead from the topside without interferance from the ferrule.  It also changes the angle of the edge from both sides simultaneously.
....and lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the age. Matt 28:20

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©