3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: She's Hooked Now....  (Read 556 times)

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
She's Hooked Now....
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »
Saturday..my son went down for a nap, so I grabbed my bow and quiver and told my wife I was going stump shooting and to look for some sheds.

She stopped me in my tracks by saying "I want to try shooting my bow!"    :scared:  

I had her hand me down Bear recurve stung and quiver full before she could put her coat on.   :D    

This would be only the second time she's shot so I wanted to do something fun, I grabbed an empty 2 liter bottle and threw it about 8-10 yards in front of her. She did great, she was grouping arrows around the bottle and getting close...she nicked it once and got really excited! The shot after that she hit the bottle and jumped for joy! I was pretty proud...she asked me to shot too, so I'd whack the bottle and move it around the yard and farther out to challenge her.  She ended up hitting the bottle a few times at 18-20 yards!!

At one point...she said I'm getting tired so I pulled her arrows and handed them to her, that was followed by "Well maybe I'll shoot these again, BUT then I'm done" with a big smile on her face.   :jumper:    I'm pretty sure she's hooked now.  Next time we'll work alittle on her form and release but she enjoyed just flinging arrows.  As we went in the house, she said "Now I can see why stump shooting would be fun"

I've got to get her some more gear now..

Thanks to Leroy "Golden Hawk" for the string, and my Dad for the Bear recurve!
** Forgot to thank Elaine (2big's wife) and Lori Thomas who at the MTB lit a fire in my wife to pick up a bow and give it a serious try.
Just a Coyote Soul out wandering...

Offline Tim Fishell

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: She's Hooked Now....
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:10:00 AM »
Looking good Drew!!  Keep at it and she will be out shooting you in no time!!   :thumbsup:
Dreams can not be bought; they are free to those who have lived. -Mike Mitten

We must go beyond the textbooks, go out into the untrodden depths of the wilderness & travel & explore & tell the world the glories of our journey

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline northern fisher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »
Congrats Drew .I'm envious  :thumbsup:  
I hope I can get my wife shooting someday.
If it wasn't for Hillary Blackburn I may have never found my way to the woods and the water.I miss you Puppy.Love from your grandson.

Online wislnwings

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 12:14:00 PM »
I just took my wife to see about ordering her a bow of her own.  She started shooting with me a year or so ago with an inexpensive recurve.  She's now outgrown it and decided its time for a custom bow of her own.  She even insisted on picking out the woods for the bow.  Its always nice when you and your spouse can share an outdoor experience.

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Put those black smooth rubber blunts on her arrows and shoot at one of those 8" kids balls.  They boom and bounce and roll and its a blast!!!   Kick it yourself for runnin rabbit shot practice etc.  When you get to where you hit it and send it flying and shoot it again at 30 yards or so before its done rolling your screaming and pumping your arms like the Packers are winning the superbowl again!  Or the lions.  Have they ever?   :bigsmyl:

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 12:17:00 PM »
Oh yeah - looks like you have the yard for it!

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
I had a Mikuta longbow custom made for my wife Lisa a few years ago.She was really suprized that I had it made just for her and she LOVES to shoot it!!!!!

Come to think of it.....I think her and I could use some "Quality Time" in the back yard!!!!!   :archer:    :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »
Sounds like she don't need much work, hitting that bottle at 20 yards. Looks like a full freezer at your house this winter. Good luck !!

Offline coaltroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
OK, now you are in trouble, expect to have to double every expense you make on equipment, have someone with you when you go shooting or hunting. You will never be hunting alone again. Congrats, It's alway great when you can do the things you love with your life partner.

Offline joekeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 02:59:00 PM »
:thumbsup:

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
Thanks for the comments guys! I'm pretty excited, she won't hunt...but I think she will enjoy shooting especially once my son starts in a few years.

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »
Just alil curious.. Where's the target?  :confused:  
Great post and good luck to her..   :clapper:  
Gonna cost ya double now..   :biglaugh:
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 09:38:00 PM »
That is outstanding Drew!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TaterHill Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:08:00 AM »
Great idea.  I just got my wife a bow and I need to make it fun for her.  This should fit the bill nicely.
Jeff

"Make yourselves sheep and the wolves will eat you."  Benjamin Franklin

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:00 AM »
Drew, I am gonna add your wife's Full Draw pics to my "Traditional Bows Drawn" section of my personal web site, (as I have many others - 15 pages of 60 Full Draw pics per page, as a matter of fact - for those that aren't already familiar with them).I'll probably get it done sometime today. Check it out later - and if you would like me to add her given name to the write-up, let me know. Love to hear about it when the wifes and kids get into the trad shooting also - ya done good (and so did she).

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/index.htm  

Just click on the Traditional Bows Drawn section in the menu - she'll be on page 15 of that section.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Drew

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:11:00 AM »
Thanks Bernie! I'll have to get you a better pic once the weather get's nice out.

Kingstaken, the target is a empty 2 liter plastic bottle rolling around the yard.

She's pretty much laid claim to that Bear recurve.

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Great, always looking for new FD pics, as folks seem to like to go check out those pages (and see their friends, relatives, folks they know of - and all the bows, etc.) Your wife's are posted as of a couple hours ago.
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 05:14:00 PM »
Great stuff!  ;)   :thumbsup:   :D
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©