3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: MODIFIED GRISSLY ???  (Read 430 times)

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
MODIFIED GRISSLY ???
« on: March 17, 2008, 12:46:00 PM »
As a guide in Tanzania , i would like to test

some arrows on cape buffalo.

I have made some search ,about the grissly

broadhead , but didn t find anything about

" how to made a modified grissly "

any help will be welcome

Thank you

Offline SlowBowinMO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: MODIFIED GRISSLY ???
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »
This may help you, it's an Ashby Grizzly sharpening article.

http://aussiebowhunter.com/images/PDFGRIZZLYBROADHEADS.pdf

Also the Ashby reports are linked to Trad Gang, I believe he describes his modified Grizzly in the reports.

Hope this helps, Tim
"Down-Log Blind at Misty River"

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
Hello Pascal. How's everything going in East Africa?

If you dig through the Updates (all posted here on TradGang, on the Dr. Ashby Reports Forum) you'll find the description of the Modified Grizzly there. A search of the threads here on the Pow-Wow should turn up a couple of detailed descriptions of the Modified Grizzly's construction too.

Here's the short version: Starting with a new standard 190 gr. Grizzly El Grande; narrow the cut-width at the rear to 1". In narrowing the blade, you want to keep the width at the Tanto tip the same as from the factory. This changes the slope of the main blade's cutting edge. Next, change the edge bevel to 25 degrees. Add a double-bevel edge along the Tanto tip; with each bevel being fairly abrupt, about 30 to 35 degrees. Now hone and polish the single-bevel edges and strop them. When you get them so sharp that even a near-miss will draw blood; it's just right.   :D  (i.e. There's no such thing as a broadhead that's too sharp.)

Be sure to read through the 2007 Updates, Part 3, 4 and 5. The Extreme FOC arrows are the way to go. Their only problem is impact durability, and I hope the Internal Footings will soon be available to cure that.

The testing in the updates from 2004 on are all on Asian buffalo. They are a bit tougher to penetrate than a comparable size Cape buff. The skin pattern is different, with the skin being thinner on the neck and back, and thickest right over the chest area. Their heart averages about 1 Kg heavier than that of a Cape buff, and the ribs on a trophy class bull can be awfully close to a full 1" thick (in the mid-section).

Hope that helps. Have a ball with the testing, and please let me know your results!

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 03:57:00 PM »
Ok TIM , thank you very much for your help

Hello ED

Everything is hopefully fine in Tanzania for the moment .

Of course , I have read all your very helpfull  " reports "

Thank s  again for your great job

I knew that i had to narrowed the rear of the " original " grizzly but i imagine that i should use a kind of grinder to do that ???

or something similar ??

If i can make the " tests " for sure i will let you know the results .

Offline sendero25

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »
Hi Robertson,
Be careful when using a grinder to narrow the blade. If the steel in the blade overheats from the friction of the grinding wheel or belt, the steel will "lose its temper" and become very soft.
Then there is a great possibility of the blade bending. If you use a powered grinding tool, GO SLOW! and remove the blade every second or two to allow it to cool.
Good luck.
John
"I'm not very smart but I can lift heavy things"

"I'm not as smart as I look"

quotes by my good friend Clay Miller from Valentine, TX

Offline fyrfyter43

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 08:07:00 PM »
"In the joy of hunting is intimately woven the love of the great outdoors. The beauty of woods, valleys, mountains, and skies feeds the soul of the sportsman where the quest of game only whets his appetite." ~ Saxton Pope

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 04:09:00 AM »
Ok FYRFYTER43  

Thank you   :thumbsup:

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 08:57:00 AM »
Hi Pascal,

Things are going pretty well, all things considered. However, I do miss life in Africa. There's so little of old Africa left, and I so feel the loss. How are things holding up in Tanzania? Which area(s) are you hunting in?

I generally do the modification on my belt grinder (one of those designed for knife makers). You do have to work very slowly, cooling the BH in water often. I keep a large bucket of water at hand, and I always rest one finger on the blade while I work. As soon as the blade feels warm, I dunk it in water and swirl it around, to cool it down. Then I dry the blade and resume grinding.

By hand, the rasp used for initial setting of the edge bevel (shown in the sharpening article) can be used to reduce the blade width and change the taper.

If you use a mechanized tool to remove the excess stock, do go very slow and keep the steel cool. It's easy to overheat the steel and change he taper.

Keep in touch. I'll soon be bush again, and out of contact for a while, but I'm really looking forward to seeing the results you get. I think there will be more good single-bevel BH choices available very shortly.

Ed
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »
Hello Ed

Things in Tanzania are ok exept that all hunting taxes are going quiet way up for this year.

I guide in the Selous game reserve and the masai country since 1987

I have guided for 5 years also in Rungwa game reserve.

I will try to bring my longbow with me this year , I had made some test before on dead buffalos but not with " high foc " or heavy arrows like we use now.

We keep in touch for sure.

Pascal

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 02:46:00 PM »
Thanks Pascale. I've sent you a PM.

Ed

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 02:49:00 PM »
One more question " Doc "

Did you ever tried an arrow with more than 30 %

of " Foc " ??

Thank you

Offline Dr. Ed Ashby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:03:00 PM »
I've tested on buff to almost 32% FOC. I like the results best from 25% upwards. Not enough data to be conclusive, but it APPEARS that AVERAGE penetration continues to be increasing as FOC increases, at least up to that point.

Ed

Offline robertson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 04:31:00 AM »
Ok thank you very much for the infos

I got yours PM and will let you know

Pascal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©