3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A new convert  (Read 862 times)

Offline DonnieBaker

• Trad Bowhunter
A new convert
« on: March 17, 2008, 05:18:00 PM »
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Josh and I have an archery problem....I hope someone got that. I'm a convert from the wheel bows. I was tired of the speed and gadgets and "You suck because you shoot _____." So I bought myself a Chek-Mate H2 T/D. Waiting on the Masters of the barebow DVD's to arrive before I start shooting. I can tell it's going to be a fairly steep learning curve but I'm confident I'll get some good groups by late summer. I'll figure out how to add pics and show off my new buckbuster. Have a good evening, and I'm glad I found this site. BTW anyone here from WI?

Offline J.D.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: A new convert
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 05:23:00 PM »
Hello, and wecome There alot of folks here from WI. I am in Poplar ( northwest just outside of superior ).
J.D.

Offline leatherneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »
Welcome Josh! Sounds like you have all the tools to become a good Trad archer. Especially the attitude. Don't be afraid to ask for help on this site because there is a lot of knowledge here. I learn here everyday. Good Luck!
“I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can’t accept not trying"

Proud shareholder of MK,LLC

Offline Son of Texas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Welcome!!!   :campfire:

Offline ozzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 05:43:00 PM »
hey Josh welcome aboard.  My name is Scott, I live in Two Rivers.  Don't know alot of people who share our same interests around here but me and my family enjoy traditional archery quite a bit.  We try to get to as many 3-D shoots as possible but it is hard to find traditional only shoots in WI.  Hope to see you around this year.  Wisconsin Traditional Archers do put on afew shoots each year and they are alot of fun.  Good luck in your new adventure.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 07:03:00 PM »
Welcome Josh.  Lots of trad shooters in Wisconsin.  200 of them just attended the annual Wisconsin Traditional Archers banquet last weekend in Wisconsin Dells.  WTA co-sponsors a half-dozen or so shoots each year with local archery clubs throughout the state.  Check out the WTA web site periodically for coming events.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 07:30:00 PM »
That's right... Walk in to the Light... Welcome to TradGang.... & Welcome to the Spirit of the Stick & String.

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang....now the fun is just starting.

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 07:55:00 PM »
Big howdy from ND, Josh.  You picked a great recurve for your first Trad Bow!...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline CBergeman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 07:59:00 PM »
Welcome aboard Josh.  I'm in Cadott, just a few miles northeast of Eau Claire.
Chris

Offline baretraks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 09:39:00 PM »
I walked into an archery shop belonging to a friend of mine the other day and two guys had just bought a couple of recurves. I helped them set them up, we found some arrows that were more or less the correct spine, and had at it.
One of them had a little trouble, I could see the years of peep sights, pins and stabilizers were giving him a fit...the other fella jerked his up at fifteen yards and stuck a paper groundhog target right in the crawl!!! The guy looked like he had been doing it for years.
Some of us have had to work hard at this sport to be a pretty good shot, others are just naturals. The bottom line is dont get discouraged...if it's not there, it'll come in time!!
" Life is hard. It's even harder if your stupid."
-John Wayne

Offline DonnieBaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2008, 11:29:00 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome. I was going to give you some more info on me but I go to tech school 3x/week and I didn't have much time to chat. Going for Welding and CNC/Machine Tool
I live in Oshkosh, originally from Waupaca. I have a fiance and a 5yo who shoots a recurve also(he shoots better than me some days, I have a pic to prove it). I've been bow hunting since '92 and I gun hunted since I was 12('87). I don't gun hunt anymore. I have a 130 class buck on the wall,mised a 160 class this year which was the final nail in the coffin for the hoyt protec. I didn't have a lot of time to shoot, and feel if I had a 'curve I could have just drawn and shot and not gone through the steps to draw, anchor, sight, and shoot, I would have a pig on the wall. It's all downhill from here!
Thanks again for the warm welcome. I shall stay involved and engaged.

Offline great whited hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 11:30:00 PM »
Josh, Glad to hear from another cheddar-head!  I too am a new member.  I call Grantsburg my home.  Practice, practice, practice!!  Keep distance short and simple.  Smaller open-ended cardboard box over your targets bullseye helps with concentration and consistency.  Hang in there!  Pat

Offline DonnieBaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 11:56:00 PM »
Lets try this....please it's my first time so...yeah.

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/thumbnail3.jpg    

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/DSCN0075.jpg    

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/DSCN0023.jpg    

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/DSCN0028.jpg    

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/DSCN0027.jpg    

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/DSCN0007.jpg    

http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj144/DonnieBaker_photos/DSCN0045.jpg  

1st photo is what I used to shoot...say bye-bye.

2. My new recurve. Chek-mate H2 T/D. Riser is walnut and purpleheart with walnut and maple limbs, 46# @ 26". My bow on order with Chad at Chek-mate is on the H2 T/D photo page, shedua/bocote riser with birdseye bocote veneer limbs. I'll get that in Oct. or so. Thats why I bought this one.

3. My gun buck from '99

4&5. My Uncles buck. Funny story to that one, I had hunted one spot for 3 years and Uncle said to try a different spot up on the ridge. He went to "my" spot. Come in at 8am to take a dump and this guy is hanging in the tree. I didn't think it was too funny then. G3's are 14", G2's are 11".

6. Land of giant bucks, Western Wisconsin. Illinois, Iowa, and Kansas don't have nothing on us.

7. Keep practicing my boy, great form!

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 02:13:00 AM »
Hi there. Hap

Offline DonnieBaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:00 PM »
How about some good trad bowshops? or a good archeryshop with some knowledgable trad archers in Wisconsin. I'm a sponge and need to soak up information!

Offline LEOPARD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »
Welcome to the gang! I'm glad you're shooting a REAL bow now!  ;)   :D

Nigel
Nigel Ivy

"The more I practice, the luckier I get...."

Offline DonnieBaker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 06:29:00 AM »
Bump for an anxious newbie!

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 08:18:00 AM »
Welcome from another WI guy  :wavey:   I'm from Lake Mills, near Madison.  Lots of trad archers from all over the State.  Like Jerry said, joining WTA is a great way to meet a bunch of them.  
There is an all trad shoot at Johnsville June 7&*.  That's not far from you and a great shoot to attend.  Horicon also has one I think in July, but I'm not sure of the dates off the top of my head.
Hope to meet up with you at one of them!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Can Hahaka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 08:30:00 AM »
Mr. Baker - Welcome to a great group of people who have a sincere interest in the sport. I am in Oconomowoc - soon to move to Oostburg - upon my retirement.
Mississippi Lake Longbow 55#@28"
Woodcraft Equip. 30#@28"
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

GENESIS 27:3 - Now therefore, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow and go out to the field and take me some venison.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©