3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: sharpening snuffers  (Read 6637 times)

Offline BillyBobHowdieVern

• Trad Bowhunter
sharpening snuffers
« on: March 20, 2006, 09:48:00 PM »
is the vid here on sharpening WW good for snuffers also. i know this is a bonehead ? but i just got my snuffers and i have only had 2 blades till now.

thanks
john

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: sharpening snuffers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 10:42:00 PM »
Same technic just need that large 16" mill bastard file if you do it like Charlie.  We were all using Bob Morrison's file at the Texas Sweat to get our WW & Snuffers sharpened.  Very easy and scary sharp.  I've always been a 2 blade shooter but those WW blew some nice holes in the javies & hogs.  I think I'm converted..Jeff
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline TomBow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 11:29:00 PM »
Where is the vid for sharpening WW's?  I just purchased snuffers and need to get them sharp soon for a Nebraska Gobbler or two.
Best of Luck!

Toelke Whip "MTB" 62", 53#@28
'65 K-Mag 52", 58@28
'53 Bear Cub longbow, 64" 60#@28

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2006, 06:50:00 AM »
thanks i kinda figuered it would be the same just wanted a confirmation. tombow the vid is in the members video's under sharpening WW

john

Offline Scott G

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2006, 05:40:00 PM »
I'm with Jeff.  Used to be a two blade man too, but the WW makes a nice hole, it's really easy to sharpen and it flies well too.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2006, 06:04:00 PM »
Snuffer Tamer kit.Sold at Three rivers.I saw one on the women-outdoors website 4 sale

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2006, 07:51:00 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I use a 10 mil on my 160 gr Snuffers. Sharpen rear to front covering 2 blades, apply pressure.
I give each side 25 strokes then finish off the head on my Ceramic Crok Stik. Razor sharp edge that will shave hair.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2006, 09:12:00 PM »
where does everyone get there files from?

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2006, 09:36:00 PM »
i just bought a big 16" file today from a local hardware, lumber store i ask them for one and they went out back in a shed and found one. sold it to me for $10.00 so i got a good deal plus it was the only big file i could find.

john

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2006, 09:52:00 PM »
Yup, I do as Joe Skipp - extremely sharp every time.

Lay the file down on the bench with the tail facing you - then just draw the BH heel first towards you.  Finish on crocks or super fine DMT stone.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2006, 10:09:00 PM »
I'll either shoot them right after filing or a couple of strokes on 600 wet/dry sand paper to polish.
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline deerfly

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2006, 10:54:00 PM »
I've managed to learn to sharpen them with 6" & 8" grobet files from 3Rivers. Of the two, the 8" being a little easier to get a better edge. However, if I was sharpening them at home or in the field in circumstances where a large file was handy, like back at the truck or some major camp site, I'd definitely use the bigger files on a sturdy table or bench.

But for carrying around all day in the field or on extended back-packing type affairs the smaller files are much easier to deal with and plenty adequate once you get the knack for using them.

I'm with the others though, the 3 blade heads lend themselves very well to file sharpening. - eric

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2006, 08:33:00 AM »
Here's how we do it:

With the broadhead perpendicular to the rotation of the wheel (6 inch grinder, medium grit wheel) draw it from back to front, applying light/medium pressure on the head.  Be careful to keep the 2 blades that are touching the wheel even (don’t “rock” the head up and down) and do not go down off the tip and blunt it.  Also be careful not to overheat the head (will remove temper), I keep a bucket of water handy.  You don’t want to develop any blue color on the blades-it takes quite a bit of heat to hurt them, though.

You are finished when you have a completely new, even cutting edge along the full length of the head.

These are really sharp enough to use now, they will not shave, but have a “burr” edge.  I generally prefer a shaving edge and go on to the next step.

Using a hard black Arkansas (or any other hard oilstone) place the head with 2 blades flat on the stone and move in a circular motion with medium pressure.  You will feel the metal coming off at first and after 10-15 circles it will start sliding like ice.  This step is finished when it slides slickly.

To achieve the final nasty sharp edge draw the head backwards on a piece of hard, smooth leather 6-8 times per side (2-blades flat on the leather).  Some guys put fine jeweler’s polish on the strop, but I just use the leather.  Put Vaseline or some other oil on the cutting edges to avoid rusting and you are ready to go.  I occasionally strop the head a bit during the season to touch it up.  This full process will only take a couple of minutes per head once you have the grinding step practiced up.

I hope this helps!

For extended trips, or hunts where I expect alot of shooting I take a Razor Rake pull through sharpener and a file, but for pre-sharpened heads the above process is the easiest and best we've ever found.

Ryan

Offline brackshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2007, 06:18:00 PM »
This may be a stupid question, but would an 8" grinder work just as well?  That is what I have, dont really want to buy a new one!

brackshooter

Offline Steve O

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2008, 06:09:00 PM »
ttt for JC

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
I have been shooting my snuffers with the burr edge and have been pleasantly suprised.Not shaving sharp but provide major bleeding and pass throughs on whitetails.Ive been using a half round file.Anyone else leave em with the burr edge?

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2008, 06:52:00 PM »
Thanks SteveO!
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline John C Keith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2008, 11:55:00 PM »
I will have to try this.  Been looking around (locally even online) and the 16inch file is hard to come by.

Thanks for resurrecting this one... just in time for spring gobbler stalkin'.
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Michigan Bowhunters

Its not about the weapon used, its about the adventure involved.

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 09:53:00 AM »
John,
Bought my Nicholson 16" mill bastard file at Lowes. I would bet that HD would have them too.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Online Chad R

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 12:23:00 PM »
I ordered mine from W.W. Grainger

www.Grainger.com

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©