3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow Plus and Minus  (Read 335 times)

Offline Splitty

• Trad Bowhunter
Black Widow Plus and Minus
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:44:00 PM »
Looking at a BW One piece.  Are they intrinsicly as accurate as the take downs.  I know the 3 piece will have more mass weight, but anyone out there shoot the one piece for Target/ 3D purposes???
Blessings

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow Plus and Minus
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:33:00 PM »
If it's a Black Widow, it will be fairly heavy; they are pretty massive recurves.  They will shoot just as well as a takedown, it's all about the guy shooting it.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:52:00 PM »
The Widow one-piece bows are better shooters than their T/Ds. They are quieter and definitely a bit quicker than the PMA ans PSA's. More stable in your hand as well! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Robertfishes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:58:00 PM »
BW makes 3 different one piece recurves. I have several widows. The 2 1/4 lb mass weight PTF or TF series are my current favorites for hunting, not as much mass as the PSA or PMA takedowns but plenty enough for me. I also have a 54" PSR (1 3/4 lb)which is the lightest weight and has the 50's look that I like, I use the PSR bow alot when scouting as it is the lightest and very compact. I have some PSA's while they have the most mass at 3 lbs, they are very nice to shoot and see alot of action on the 3-D range and sometimes in a stand. I have not shot the newest one piece, but it looks to be a shooter with more mass weight than the PTF's. I have no problems switching between the TF's and the PSA's for a 3-D shoot, I shoot which ever one I feel like that day.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 10:08:00 PM »
I use a PGA one piece for 3-D shoots... I really like it

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 10:10:00 PM »
My experiences with them are opposite of Shawn's.  I shoot the takedowns much better, much better than any bow I've shot for that matter.  I can get both equally quiet.  In fact my PL longbow was louder than all of the other models I shot.  

As far as speed, I really couldn't tell ya.  I've never chronoed any bow so I don't know exact speeds.  I will say that I asked Roger (from BW) this question and while they wouldn't release specific numbers from their in-house testing, he says there is no difference in the PMA, PSA, PTF, or PA.  He said all of those models have their limbs layed up on the same form and there is no difference in preformance.  I have heard the bamboo limbs add about 2 fps.

This is coming from BW.  If someone did some independant testing and came up with differnt results, I can't comment on that.  

All this said, if I had to choose 1 bow from their lineup to be my ultimate hunting bow, I'd choose the PTF.  It is so darn sexy!  Just more accurate with the takedowns  :(

Offline PastorSteveHill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 10:20:00 PM »
Mooseman, the PTF coco and osage you sold me was a looker!
Blessings,
Steve

Offline mooseman76

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »
you betcha, one of the very nicest looking bows I owned...Mike

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:39:00 PM »
I own both a PSA and PGA. Love both but the PGA is quicker and in my opinion more graceful.

JDSIII
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Offline Keuka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
I own and shoot a PTFV @ 58 inches and a PSAII @ 60 inches. The two bows are with-in 1 pound draw weight of each other and built one month apart. The same bare shaft flies true in both bows and I'm not shooting tapered shafts. Thats "real" close in performance.

I had the same question that your asking youself right now; "one piece or takedown". I knew I was the only one that could answere that question so I purchased both. It's been a little over two years now and I still can't make up my mind!

Offline Whitetail Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 12:12:00 AM »
I just got a brand new PAX Kingwood today.  It is a smooth shooter.  Have not worked out the noise yet, but it will come.

As far as shooting goes, I have always heard that most guys can pick up a PSA at 50# and shoot it very close to a PTF at 50#.  I doubt the performance difference could be noticed.

I got the one piece because I thought it looked cool, and I already have 3 TD recurves.

Brett
50# MAX Widow
54# Sapphire Hawk
53# Schafer Silvertip TD
45# Hill Country Bobcat

Offline Dave Lay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 11:44:00 AM »
I have a one piece PGA and love it, but felt bad about banging it up huntin so I bought a PSAII greybark TD to hunt with and wouldnt feel so bad about the abuse my bows go through. But to answer the question, the one piece is noticably lighter than the TD. and they both being 63@28 shoot the exact same arrow. I cant see any diffrence in performance at all, but the one piece sure has a appeal that only a one piece can give with its clean lines and almost perfect physical weight
Compton traditional bowhunters
PBS regular
Traditional bowhunters of Arkansas
I live to bowhunt!!!
60” Widow SAV recurve 54@28
60” Widow KBX recurve 53@27
64” DGA longbow 48@27

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 12:16:00 PM »
Sorry, but the speeds are virtually the same for the TD and the one-pc if the bows are the same weight. (based upon Widow's report and my testing as well).  

The bows' quietness is determined by your own tuning and setup, and if done properly, will be about equal.  

The TD will be a bit heavier and therefore, more stable...and therefore, more accurate.
Lon Scott

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©