3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New Short Riser Bob Lee came today.  (Read 542 times)

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
New Short Riser Bob Lee came today.
« on: March 17, 2008, 09:14:00 PM »
Got the new short riser Bob Lee takedown recurve today: 56" (uses the 60" limb), 44lbs at 28".  A few observations:
1.  Man, this is short!  I usually shoot 64" bows, so this is quite a change for me.  The sight window is very small (looks about the same size as a Morrison A or B riser), and the bow is light for me, although the Lee riser has decent mass for its size.
2.  Draws pretty smoothly out to my 29+ inch draw; don't notice any significant finger pinch.  Has a pretty high brace for a short bow (7.5-7.75" recommended).
3.  I added an Eagle's Flight 4 arrow quiver first thing, to add weight mainly.  I do not like light bows, as I feel they are a curse to accuracy and contribute to arm problems from hand shock.  Feels very nice with quiver added, just about right for a hunting bow, although heavier would not bother me.
4.  It is fast.  I'm not all that concerned with speed, but it's quite a bit faster than my 45lb Wes Wallace.  I had to go to a heavier spined arrow (2018) than I shoot out of the Wallace with a quiver on it.
5.  It is, after I added a set of Hush Puppies, the quietest recurve I have shot.  It is shockingly quiet.
6.  It shoots well.  Took some time to readjust the computer in my head, as it hit higher than my Wallace at the same ranges, but I was shooting it just about as well by the end of the day.
7.  It is conducive to shooting instinctively; I find that I don't hold as long with it as I do with the longer bow, and it seems to shoot best this way.  If you don't cant the bow, or use an aiming system, the short sight window will probably not be to your liking.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it.  I wasn't sure I could shoot such a short bow, and I bought it on a whim, really, but I think it will be better for hunting than the longer bows I normally use.  I'll try to post some pics later, side by side with the Wallace for comparison.  Paul.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New Short Riser Bob Lee came today.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:18:00 PM »
Congrats dont ya just love ur eagle flight bow quiver ya hardly know its on the bow..I love bob lee bows. :)
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline Lewis Brookshire III

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
PICS!!! PICS!!!!
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."
- Jim Elliot: Missionary/Martyr.

Offline hawgslayer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
:campfire:  
Have 2 Bob Lee bows. A HUNTER T/D and a DARK ARCHER. Both are great. SMOOTH, SILENT and FAST. Put 3 does in the freezer last season using my HUNTER. Can't wait to hunt with my D/A this season.

Good luck with your new bow and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine.  :archer:
HAWGSLAYER

07 BOB LEE HUNTER 49#'S
09 MARTIN 48#'s
CVA ACCURA 50 CAL.
BL/STAINLESS
SEMPER FI

Keep your feathers dry and your nose in the wind and become the predator that we really are.

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 09:29:00 PM »
Pics will have to be tomorrow; it's just a plain-jane hunting bow, which is what I wanted.  I can't bear taking eye-candy bows into the woods!

Offline hera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 09:48:00 PM »
congrats

BL bow are great,I know their bow are not very fine in detail(at least on my classic TD recurve),but BL bow are reliable,fast and durable.Good bow.

Offline BUFF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
Attaboy on the new bow... Rob makes some fine stuff

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 10:27:00 PM »
I tryed one of the short risered Lee's. At my 30+ draw it was too short, however his long riser 60" seems to work great.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Paul

What arrow set up do you have, Rod said that mine was going be sent out Wednesday of this week.  Mine will be 1# lighter.  I purchased mine to hunt in a blind.

I had a Turkey Creek that had a 12" Reiser, now that small, it was designed for a younger person.  This one will probably seem large, and mine too, is a plane jane, not fancy, but some nice wood.  Glad to hear that it's fast.  I was planing on using Axis 500's with 150 Gr.  Two blade stinger, 5 in. left helical parabolic cut.

Sounds like there be some adjustment, but that's understandable.  Thanks for posting your information.

Carl

Congrats on the new bow.
--------------------------
 Heb.13:5-6

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 08:40:00 AM »
Paul did you get the 44lb limbs with the riser and do you know how Rob will mark limbs now that he has actually has 3-lengths of risers.Please post pics of riser and strung bow if possible.I still have concern about the sight window for me.Kip

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:33:00 AM »
Carl: I found a 2016 and a 35/55 GT too weak (I hate the Gold Tips, but I just had to see; never have been able to get them to shoot out of anything at any weight!), so I am using a 29.75" 2018 with 175grns up front.  I do draw about 29.5", so if you draw 28 or less, I would start with a 2016 or similar spine.
Kip: Yes, I ordered the bow as a unit.  The limbs are given in terms of the length they make with a standard riser; i.e., these limbs make a 60" bow with a standard riser.  He did not say whether he will make this model with anything but 58 or 60" limbs (54 or 56" bows); I wonder if you could put the 62 or 64" limbs on it, making a slightly longer, smoother bow?  As I said, the sight window is small, you definitely need to be a canted bow shooter to use this riser.  I don't cant to any extreme amount, but I wouldn't think you'd like it if you shoot the bow straight up and down.  Look at pics of Morrison bows with "A" or "B" risers for an idea of the sight window size.  
Davey: I would agree that my draw is about the limit on this bow length.  As I wondered above, you might ask if he will make one with the longer limbs in a 58" model; that should accomodate your draw length.
I've got to go to the dentist, so I'll try to post pics tonight.  Paul.

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:45:00 AM »
So Paul with the 44@28" on std. riser you are shooting app. 49-50 lbs with the short riser.At least that is how rob explained it too me.Kip

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:40:00 AM »
Thanks Paul,

I just talked to Rob again,  at Bob Lee, and he told me I would be just fine with those axis 500, I do have 150 gr tip upfront, and I probably will use stinger broadheads two blade with bleeder.  He said the most I would have to do in changing arrows between the Longbow and the hunter would be to add more weight upfront not much about 25 grain.

Thanks

Carl

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 01:30:00 PM »
Hay, were are the Photo's   :banghead:

Offline NDTerminator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 01:31:00 PM »
Man Law is in effect!  Pictures, pronto!!!!

I like my 58" Signature Hunter so much that I'm thinking of getting one of the Lee 54" bows for ground blind hunting...
"As Trad as I wanna be"

"It's all just archery, and all archery is good"

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 02:11:00 PM »
Congrats! Can not wait to see some photo's

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 07:19:00 PM »
Second day of shooting the bow: it is windy as hell here, 30mph, so this might not be the best of conditions to make evaluations.  I had a harder time shooting it today, in terms of shot quality.  There may be some finger pinch that I'm just not aware of, as I had some bad releases that I could not explain.  It might be a tad short at my draw length.  I took out the Wallace, and shot better immediately.  It's too soon to really make an honest assessment.  If the wind quiets down tomorrow, I'll know more.  Paul.

Offline DeerSpotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »
Is it tooooooooooooo windy for Photos !!!  :goldtooth:  

Carl

Online Harmless

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 03:59:00 PM »
Man law violation !!
Hoots custom, lil Hoot
Blackwidow PSA111
Dwyer Dauntless
and a whole bunch of Bears

>>-Shoot Straight-->

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 07:06:00 PM »
Yeah, I know, bad Paul!  My wife's camera is doing something funny; I need to let her look at it and figure it out.  I gave pastor Carl the rundown on the bow, but here's the short version.  My first arrow opinions were based on shooting the bow w/out silencers, which was stupid.  The hush puppies were much larger than what I normally use, so I cut them down by about 75% today, and now I see that a 2016 w/ 175grns is the right needle for it.  But, it shoots fantastic.  It was the oversized silencers that goofed everything up, made everything overspined.  Today, still with pretty good wind, I was consistently shooting less than 4" groups at 30yds, which is as good as I normally do with the longer bow.  My groups were the same from 35yds as well.  I think it will be a jam-up hunting bow for stands.  I'll work on pics, Paul.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©