3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Wensel Woodmans VS THE BLOCK  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Wensel Woodmans VS THE BLOCK
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 04:38:00 PM »
Howler, the tips are needle like...you can't touch one with your finger and not draw blood. It's one of them personal preference things I guess.

Rocky old buddy, ya gotta stick up for you "kids" the Woodsman was our baby :-)

Gene Hall is on here!
You guys always talk about legends of bowhunting, there's one for ya right there!
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline alligatordond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 05:58:00 PM »
Well I can't get one quite as sharp as I can my Zwickey's or Magnus heads. But if I draw a Woodsman across my thumb ,I'll be headed to get stitches so I guess they get plenty sharp enough. Can't imagine what one would do to me at 160 fps.

Just mounted a dozen on my wood shafts. Even though deer season is over I hafta come down slow or I'll get the DT's. Thank God for rabbits and Osceola's(Don don't do hogs)
DonD

Offline Arraflinger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 09:29:00 PM »
I've used the Woodsman now for quite a few years and have taken my share of deer with them. I've NEVER had a point curl on me. I don't clip the point ,but I do file the very point to a lesser angle. Also alot of folks say they're hard to sharpen. I carry a 12" mill file a fine diamond 'stone' and a piece of leather glued to a 2" by 6"by 1" thick piece of wood. I can get a Woodsman hair popping sharp in about 3 minutes
            Wayne
A gun is like a parachute: If you need one and don't have one,you won't be needing one again

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 02:02:00 PM »
The tip of a Woodsman is not the problem, it's the WIDTH.  There is none.  One inch, my %$&*, yea they go through tomatoes, but they don't leak after.

Biggie, you and the Wensels could have both stood on a blade, pushing it out farther on the other side.  Then you'd have a hell of a head for whitetails. LOL!!!!!!!

Bowmania

PS Somebody can always find fault with any thing.  And that's easy for me because I don't have my name on anything.  My real opinion is that for moose or brown bears, griz you can't find a better head, but for whitetail size game I want a bigger hole.  The difference in accuracy between a 160 gr Snuffter and a Woodsman at 20 yards is non existant.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 03:55:00 PM »
hah!
Well, the idea started out as a 3 to 1 ratio. It didn't end up that way but that was the premise. To make it wider would have been to make another snuffer.
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
Seriously, you guys that can get a Woodsman "hair popping sharp" in 3 minutes...or any length of time for that matter, using a file, are waaaay better sharpeners than I am. I like the design of the Woodsman; I wanted to use them BAD, but I have never seen one quite sharp enough.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline doctorbrady

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2007, 05:05:00 PM »
Roger,
I am no broahead sharpening wiz, but the WW are SIMPLE to sharpen.  Drag them flat across a steel file or coarse diamond stone, then move to a fine stone, and finally to a piece of leather.  I use my armguard.  Just make sure you get the same number of strokes on each side and apply lighter pressure with each rotation.  There is no angle to worry about because you just lie them flat.  They will pop hairs all day long!
I can't shoot a WW without taking down the tip though, and now I know it's Biggie's fault (not like I'm gonna do anything about it  :)  ).  I have turned more than one point over in critters and out.  The needle tip IS sharp, but it won't hold up to anything hard.  Tapered down, though, it is a mean bugger!!!

Offline Frank AK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2007, 05:54:00 PM »
i taper the tip down just a wee bit. But I have been turned into a 160 and 145 gr snuffer man. No tip filing needed on those bad boys.
130lb Alaska State and Regional Wrestling Champion.

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2007, 06:51:00 PM »
Just pull the Woodsman across the belt grinder and you have it sharp.  Was a good article in PBS magazine about a  year ago on that method.

I am going to try them on one of my bows next year.  I haven't yet because they have curled so easily for me when shooting into my targets.  Mr. Asby recorded similar problems in penetration with tip curls on WW heads but that was bigger game.  I plan to snip the point as penetration won't be a problem at 12+ grains per pound of draw weight.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2007, 08:05:00 PM »
Filing down the tip at a steeper angle has strenghened the point that I could not get it to curl on trees, storage buildings, plywood, roots, deer shoulders, deer and pig spines and anything else I hit, of course I was testing out the head, that is my story and I am sticking to it.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline N. Rolling Fork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2007, 08:35:00 PM »
I made the mistake of not fileing the tip,  :knothead:   on the package it said it did'nt have to be done but i should have known better. on all my previous heads i did so, I center punched the humerous bone on a buck and the tip of the ww looked like a elf shoe, i made a fixture to process the tip and they are very strong now.

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2007, 08:41:00 PM »
Can anyone show how they file the tip?? is there any pics. This is the one reason I do not use this head. Love the looks of it but having to cut the tip??? I know they are a good head, no question there. Just would like to see how to cut and file the tip.

Thanks,

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2007, 09:08:00 PM »
No cutting required, just take a file and stroke with steeper angle than the one there, makes the tip look more pyramidal vs needle, it is VERY easy to do.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2007, 11:17:00 PM »
J-dog,

Here ya go......the 2nd clip will show you....

Sharpening the WW by Charlie Lamb
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2007, 08:18:00 AM »
It's been said a hunnert times. It's a personal issue as is with most bowhunting things.
It's psychological for me. If I touch the tip and it doesn't draw a speck of blood, I put it in the rabbit arrow pile.
When I run out of sticker thingys to check my blood sugar, I use a needle point woodsman. no pain and a good sized blood sample :-0
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2007, 12:28:00 PM »
Thanks for posting that tutorial Terry.  Seeing how the tip is done helped me understand.  I'll try a pyramid instead of snipping it.  A picture is worth a thousand words....thanks for the picture   :thumbsup:
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2007, 12:49:00 PM »
Biggie, you're too much bud    :biglaugh:

I've used them both ways with success....usually after the needle point get ruined,I pyramid the tip.....The only tip I've rolled on one was after a pass thru that smashed a rock!
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2007, 01:05:00 PM »
Thanks Terry,

Pic is worth more than words, I saved them to the puter. Ordering a pack a WWs before the day is out.

Jason
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Roger Norris

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
OK..I have been following this thread right along, and have worked on a Woodsman as we have been posting here, it's sitting here on my desk. I followed all of the instructions (that video was awesome), and yes, this Woodsman is sharp enough to hunt with. It's an awesome head, well made, well thought out.

Here's my problem...12" files, belt sanders, honing stones? I can take a 6" Grobet file and put it in my pocket...sharpen a 2 blade Magnus (or any 2 blade head) ANYWHERE. I shoot my broadheads all the time during hunting season. 90 seconds with a small file and they are scary again. There is nothing wrong with a Woodsman head. They just aren't for me...although I think I may try one on a turkey this year.

I spent a lot of time years ago FORCING myself to learn to make a head scary sharp, the simplest way possible. I suppose I just can't be re-trained.
"Good Lord....well, your new name is Sledge."
Ron LaClair upon seeing the destruction of his new lock on the east gate

"A man that cheats in the woods will cheat anywhere"
G. Fred Asbell

Offline southpawshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2007, 02:18:00 PM »
Sharpening woodsman's scary sharp is very easy in the field.  I have used the cheap Norton dual sided stones, about $6 at Home Depot.  The stone will fit in your pocket easily enough.

I also like these:

3 Sided Jewelstik

The jewelstick will sharpen anything you through  at it in short order, so you can sharpen your knives, etc. in the field real quick and easy.  I would not try to sharpen any of my knives with a file, so the right tool gives you more usage.

A WW shouldn't take more than 5 minutes to get as sharp as any 2 blade right from the package.  Touchups are only a minute or two.
Scott F >>--->   @

"if the wood don't fly the bunny don't die" - Stone Knife, JLMBH 2008

Proud member of Team Pink

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©