3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hot box question  (Read 1162 times)

Offline wyatts daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
Hot box question
« on: February 09, 2007, 04:58:00 PM »
Tell me what you think of this Idea. I found a refrigerator box, stapled insulation to the inside of the box, lay the box on it's side leave open the top of the box and use a space heater to cure the glue. Do you think that will work? What temp and how long do I let it cook?
Thx Bill
The only thing I love more than hunting is my kids. 6 boys one perfect little girl.

Offline BenBow

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hot box question
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2007, 05:21:00 PM »
I've used a cardboard box lined with scraps of styrofoam and 3 100 watt bulbs to cook the kids bows I'm building. The temp didn't get above 120 degrees but it only need to be above 70 anyway. I would think that a frig box lined with insulation would work well. A temp between 160 and 180 works best for smooth on.
But his bow will remain steady, and his hands will be skillful; because of the hands of the Mighty One of Jacob, because of the Shepherd, the Rock of Israel,  (Genesis 49:24 [NETfree])

Offline wingnut

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2007, 07:20:00 PM »
Bill,

The space heater will over temp and shut off.  Light bulbs are easier and will do the job.  Pick up a themometer to put in the box so you can monitor the temp.

Mine uses 5 100 watt bulbs to hold 160 degrees but it's huge and can have three bows cooking at a time.

Mike
Mike Westvang

Offline Chortdraw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 08:09:00 PM »
I have 4 bulbs...3-200 watt and 1-100 watt and keep it at the same temp as Mike....160
   Seems to do the job.

Offline wyatts daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 08:45:00 PM »
Can you give me an Idea on how to set up the light bulbs? How long do I need to cook it for?
Bill
The only thing I love more than hunting is my kids. 6 boys one perfect little girl.

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
What Mike said.  If you use lightbulbs, you can buy a thermostat from Bingham's, and it'll automatically control the lights so you don't have to monkey with it.
I think the refrigerator would make a good hotbox.  But I would leave the doors on it for a top.
Cook for 4 hrs if you are using Smooth-On epoxy.
PM or email me, I'll explain how the wiring is.  If you have a fax, I can send you a drawing.
Dan

Offline Bodork

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 10:44:00 PM »
Bill, I plug mine into one of those $5.00 timers so I can set it for six hours and it shuts off by itself. Saves me the hassle of trying to remember to shut it off in case I get busy. Mike

Offline wyatts daddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »
Well I made the hot box today.  Here is some pics tell me what you think. I still need to add hinges, run the wiring for the lights and line it with the insulation. The dimentions of the box is 12"x18"x84". I'm going to try three lights. What wattage do you guys think I need to try? Please let me know.
Thx Bill

Edited out the off site hyperlink

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 07:54:00 AM »
Looking good so far.  You'll need 200watt bulbs.  Line the boxes with tin foil .
Dan

Offline Crooked Stic

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2007, 10:40:00 AM »
Another thing I did on my box was put some small wheels on it so I can move it around out of the way when needed.
High on Archery.

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2007, 11:23:00 AM »
I added foil backed insulation board to the inside of my box and put a 1" hole in the top of one end and the botton of the other end. For drying wood, this gives the moisture somewhere to go. For curing glue, I plug the holes.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
...I also added a small fan inside to aid in wood drying.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2007, 11:37:00 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm no bowyer...( Not yet anyway....)I'm doing research on it right now. I'm not familiar with the "Smooth on" epoxy, or a hot box curing method for laminating wood. Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly the purpous for "cooking" the bow limbs? Is it just to excellorate the drying time? or is there other reasons behind this? I'm going to try my hand at putting a few bows together this spring. any sugestions would be helpful.  Thanks .Kirk

Offline Aeronut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2007, 12:08:00 PM »
I used 1/2" foil backed insulation to make mine and use four light bulbs, two 100 watt and two 60 watt, wired through a dimmer switch.  I can vary the temp from 0 to 170 degrees.  I also use a timer since most of my 'cook time' is late in the evening.

Light bulbs are mounted in the lid.

It makes a very light and easy to move box.

Dennis

Offline OconeeDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
Kirk, the Smooth On epoxy is an excellent epoxy.  It will cure in 24 hrs without heat, but with reduced strength.  Ok to do it that way for limb tips and other things.  But for glueing up a limbs and riser accent stripes, you want the most strength possible.  The hot box not only cures the epoxy to a stronger strength, it cures it in 4-6 hrs instead of a day.
Dan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©